2021 garden thread

corydd7

I started a few pepper seeds and have to use a grow light as I don't get any sun thru the  window. I faces due north in my apartment. I have a container garden every year and will be trying grow bags for the first time this year. They say thr roots don't ball up and soil gets air circulation. The only draw back is they can dry out easier , so watering enough is key. I buy the rest of my plants at the nursery.

Have some garlic sprouts coming in I'm pretty excited, it's my first garlic planting. I have about fifty heads planted. Any advice or guidance when it comes to garlic is more then welcome. I will be putting mulch or straw around the sprouts within the next day or so.

Screenshot_20210314-171536_Gallery.jpg

Keep it weed free. The straw will help, I would not recommend mulch like you would put in your landscaping bed.  Fertilize 3 or 4 times with composted manure. Keep it watered during dry spells of summer.  Cut off the scapes (long curly stalks, which are delicious too!) in early July.  You should not have any bug issues, sometimes the soil will have a fungus which eats away at the bulbs, so check a couple of times during the season.  Dig up a couple of bulbs.    When you start to see some brown leaves, it’s time to check to see if the bulbs are ready to harvest.  Usually early to mid August.   Pull up the whole stalk and bulb, lay out in a dry and warm spot not in the sun and let dry for a few days, then cut off the stalk from the bulb. That’s pretty much it! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yellow leaves on a plant is usually a sign of too much water.  You should try to amend your soil with compost and some sand to help it drain better.  Surprising it is wet, it has been a mostly dry spring so far.  

I usually don’t put straw down, but this year I did, mostly to cut down on my weeding time.  You can leave that straw down all summer if you want.  It will help keep the soil moist in the dryer part of the summer. 

Ok so I looked it up . Says garlic can handle down to the 20s. We have 3 days next week 20degrees or less over night for my area.

I went out and lifted the straw  a bit and let it fluff back down . Trying to let some air to the plants . The yellow plants were matted down pretty much.  

We had snow a little over a week ago on the garden. At one point there was almost 5 foot of snow on the garden this winter .

With temps starting to climb, I'm starting to think about turning the soil in the garden to get it ready. I usually toss a few bags of topsoil with a few bags of miracle grow on top, then use a shovel to turn it over. This way it build up just a little more each year. I'll probably do tomatoes, peppers, and kale on one side, squash in the middle, and then cucumbers and watermelon at the end. I'll try using some chicken wire to contain the vines this year since they took over last year.

Since we are moving to a new place, one thing I'll miss here, is my garden. Will only have 3/4 of an acre at the new place. But maybe I can make a spot for a small garden this year, with just a few plants? Having a little garden is like therapy, not work to me. 

Work, is the 25 acres of food plots up on the farm!

Should I? I honestly don’t know much about it.

My plan was to do what I did last year but hope for more natural rain. Last year I beat up the ground and put this organic fast acting lime down. According to my tester is raised the pH nicely. My plan was do same exact thing again if pH is low.

572b944343f4a33c70d26cb37f7aedce.jpg8aa0284961c5d17285e09c20d0bcff32.jpg397dc29e2ff26a225c7803c2646e9729.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Do not forget to mulch with grass clippings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I ordered a few apple trees and blueberry bushes a couple weeks ago. Of course I got a notification that they will be delivered on Thursday.... along with an "Excess of 7" of snow"! Oh well, guess I'll let them acclimate in the garage a bit before planting.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, grampy said:

Since we are moving to a new place, one thing I'll miss here, is my garden. Will only have 3/4 of an acre at the new place. But maybe I can make a spot for a small garden this year, with just a few plants? Having a little garden is like therapy, not work to me. 

Work, is the 25 acres of food plots up on the farm!

Grampy, you can make a nice garden in containers on the patio and get pretty decent yields from a 16" pot.   a lot less weeding, and bit more watering, but they can look nice too.  I mix my herbs a nd a couple of tomato plant in with my flower pots and I like it. 1151374171_flowersandherbs.thumb.jpeg.f84e3a905d21dc4f2787f229bb8d2b4c.jpeg

• Like 4

Heres a dump on my parade.  Stopped at lowes cause i needed a couple of things to do a few pots of tomatoes and some green onions this year.   Get that and watch the news at noon and forecast is for 6-10 inches of snow on Thursday!
Eff that! 

Right back up to 70 next week, don't shovel!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Right back up to 70 next week, don't shovel!

It's my fault, I swapped out the plow blade for the york rake on the tractor last weekend. Got most of the stone raked back into the driveway too. Avoiding the bad vibes trifecta, I did NOT wash the cars.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

It's my fault, I swapped out the plow blade for the york rake on the tractor last weekend. Got most of the stone raked back into the driveway too. Avoiding the bad vibes trifecta, I did NOT wash the cars.

that settles it, I'm taking the ice scraper out of the truck

20 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Heres a dump on my parade.  Stopped at lowes cause i needed a couple of things to do a few pots of tomatoes and some green onions this year.   Get that and watch the news at noon and forecast is for 6-10 inches of snow on Thursday!

Eff that! 

I also saw that forecast. Learned my lesson year planting too soon. Mothers day it is from here on out.

31 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Mine as well. I saw my neighbor winterizing his snow blower and thought it might be a tad early, but on Sunday I had time and did the same. I also put all the fireplace stuff away and the extra wood went back to the pile.

2 hours ago, Belo said:

I also saw that forecast. Learned my lesson year planting too soon. Mothers day it is from here on out.

Still too early for a lot of plants.  Week before Memorial Day is considered safe, unless you want to protect young plants by covering or uncovering....

• Like 1