2021 garden thread

corydd7

d0b485c0f356bcc59720f08e51179e20.jpg76596b2a5f5941bb15d1fee394596951.jpg

4/9 - turned the garden over. 16x6ft from last year. pH is solid so I won’t use lime like last year. Might expand to 24 or even 32 x 6ft this year. We’ll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

Getting there. Tomatoes and eggplant are a little ahead of schedule. I started hardening them off today for about thirty minutes. Started some flowers and squash inside yesterday. My wife decided to turn down the heat in my grow room (spare bedroom) which killed about half my pepper seedlings so I had to start over a bit. 

Screenshot_20210413-132825_Gallery.jpg

59 minutes ago, corydd7 said:

Getting there. Tomatoes and eggplant are a little ahead of schedule. I started hardening them off today for about thirty minutes. Started some flowers and squash inside yesterday. My wife decided to turn down the heat in my grow room (spare bedroom) which killed about half my pepper seedlings so I had to start over a bit. 

Screenshot_20210413-132825_Gallery.jpg

got anything fun in there?

Someone is excited about his new bed... started some herbs, and a few peppers up on the deck.
Peas and tomatoes are ready to go in once dirt gets delivered. Looking for a few more things to go in this year. Any ideas for something a little different.

Oh have chard, kale and some lettuce started already too

dc275fb3a73ba296d24296b2b2f97dc6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Chef said:

Someone is excited about his new bed... started some herbs, and a few peppers up on the deck.
Peas and tomatoes are ready to go in once dirt gets delivered. Looking for a few more things to go in this year. Any ideas for something a little different.

Try zucchini and summer squash.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chef said:

My favorite from the garden is green onions.  Great as a side or for cooking. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chef said:

Nice. Last year was my first year but my zucchini did really well. Basil (for pesto), and CUCUMBERS

Cantaloupe for the WIN!!!!

On 4/14/2021 at 6:52 AM, crappyice said:

Not a bad result after 12 days of just sitting on a window sill ..eggplant and jalapeño are always slow starters

my eggplant and sweet peppers finally popped after a week or so. They always make me worried I screwed something up.

I extended the garden a little further with some additional fencing and spread compost. I'm ready to go, but of course it's 30's and maybe snow this week. I learned my lesson and I'll wait to put anything in the ground. 

Just got these 2 monstrosities delivered yesterday (a local guy builds them). They are 4x8, and probably 2 1/2-3 feet tall. Any suggestion of how to fill them up? I'm going to start throwing yard debris in and some sand from previous projects. It's going to take a lot to fill these guys. 

175596707_455183179103908_7569435007694075924_n.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

wow those are tall. Lowes/Home depot will usually sell the garden soil or bed soil on sale in the spring. Takes A LOT of bags. I topped mine off in year 2 and then have been using home grown compost since. 

I definitely don't want to do topsoil in the whole thing. I'm thinking about going out to our woods and picking up some of the junk logs/branches, just anything that will fill-up some of the space. Our ground is really sandy, so anytime I do a yard project, I end up with some sand in my corner pile, so that will take up some space to.

A local place (Saratoga Sod) does 3 cubic yard bags of topsoil, so I'll probably grab a couple of those to top it off. 

27 minutes ago, corydd7 said:

Anything ever eat your garlic at that stage? I have above 40 cloves coming and something decided to try just one special one. 

I guarantee you whatever triedit won't be back for more and he/she is going to tell all their friends to stay away from that stuff. 

• Like 1

Just got these 2 monstrosities delivered yesterday (a local guy builds them). They are 4x8, and probably 2 1/2-3 feet tall. Any suggestion of how to fill them up? I'm going to start throwing yard debris in and some sand from previous projects. It's going to take a lot to fill these guys. 
175596707_455183179103908_7569435007694075924_n.thumb.jpg.26a19d78578adb3dfdd443d78b6ff2be.jpg
Dump truck load!!

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk