2021 garden thread

corydd7

2 hours ago, Splitear said:

Just got these 2 monstrosities delivered yesterday (a local guy builds them). They are 4x8, and probably 2 1/2-3 feet tall. Any suggestion of how to fill them up? I'm going to start throwing yard debris in and some sand from previous projects. It's going to take a lot to fill these guys. 

175596707_455183179103908_7569435007694075924_n.jpg

Can you get mulch from your local Town/Village DPW? We filled ours with mulch then topped with dirt and soil specifically for raised beds. 

• Like 1

Should this go under the 2021 thread or back under the 2020 thread? Due to the mild fall, I was still picking kale and brussel sprouts into December (I think). Then just never got around to pulling the plants as winter set in. Now, the plants from last year seem to be picking up where they left off. I'm already pulling kale and using it! 

kale.jpg

• Like 5

I'd be very surprised if someone in your area didn't have seedlings from organic seed.  Call around.  I would be very leery of plants shipped from anywhere, even a few hours in a box can do a lot of damage to a very young plant.  

Your other option is to start plants yourself from organic seeds.  Some of them are quite east to do (zucchini, beans, etc) some take more time and a re just a bit more work (tomatoes, peppers....) 

I'd be very surprised if someone in your area didn't have seedlings from organic seed.  Call around.  I would be very leery of plants shipped from anywhere, even a few hours in a box can do a lot of damage to a very young plant.  
Your other option is to start plants yourself from organic seeds.  Some of them are quite east to do (zucchini, beans, etc) some take more time and a re just a bit more work (tomatoes, peppers....) 

I don’t want to deal with seeds. I want plants

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Got carrots in the ground today, also five fingerling potatoes and five russet. Lettuce started inside as well as lettuce from seed goes in tomorrow late evening after the heat wave. Cant believe how well the romaine is doing in solo cups. Iceberg is alright but not as hardy.

Screenshot_20210427-184533_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I will plant some in a couple of pots i have and bring them in the barn on cooler nights.  I will hold off on the others til at least mid May...

Good idea Rob, they don't grow as well in cold temps anyways, better to leave them in the greenhouse where conditions are perfect before shocking them outside.    

• Like 1

I may buy plants this week, they sold out quickly last year at my local green house . I'm definitely not planting until near memorial day .

Last year I had an opossum that got to my tomatoes one day before I planned to. We are both wiser this year and I dont plan on losing the game to him again. 

Now I need my yard to dry out .

I may buy plants this week, they sold out quickly last year at my local green house . I'm definitely not planting until near memorial day .
Last year I had an opossum that got to my tomatoes one day before I planned to. We are both wiser this year and I dont plan on losing the game to him again. 
Now I need my yard to dry out .

Great point about plants selling out

19 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Great point about plants selling out

Folks would be wise to be stocked up on canning supplies too . The supply is good right now , Im not sure that’ll last till Fall .

Too late for pool chlorine in 3 inch tabs anyways . 

• Like 3

Great point by Nomad!

Transplanted another 30 peppers today that's about 100 peppers. I put two brussel sprouts in the ground today along with a couple eggplant to clear some room. Its early but I don't believe I'll have another frost here in the Hudson Valley. Cant catch this damn groundhog but he hasn't done damage yet. 

My larger peppers are starting to developed fruit already, same as my eggplant. Not ideal but as soon as I fix my fence they will go in the ground. I tried to stay ahead of the game because I had nose surgery Friday but it really shut me down for four days.

Screenshot_20210504-221151_Gallery.jpg

On 4/23/2021 at 6:38 AM, crappyice said:

Guess it’s about time to do a thin out and transfer ...not my favorite garden task

c07f35a53de8f6c0879451eabff7f2ce.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah man transferring to larger pots, cups whatever sucks and is tedious and takes time. Usually a Mets game and a couple beers helps, of course the Mets were rained out today. Fours hours of my time today with only Spaceballs and Goose Island to help.

• Like 1