2021 garden thread

corydd7

Planted yesterday. Cucumbers, Zucchini, Bell Peppers, Beefsteak and Cherry Tomatoes are in the ground. I went with fewer plants this year that are more spaced out to see if that will improve the harvest. In the past the peppers been a little smaller than I expected. Also the Kale from last year is still rocking. Apparently it's "bolting" which means it's about to flower. I need to pick it, then pull these plants and start over for this year. 

14 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

cb16655b130455a3b15ebc88704d2a9f.jpg

I can’t eat parsley everyday so how do you guys dry it out? I read the ice cube thing or just clean and hang before crumbling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dehydrator.  Or hang in a hot garage or attic. 

57 minutes ago, Otto said:

Dehydrator.  Or hang in a hot garage or attic. 

I dont have a dehydrator. So just hang on twine in garage for how long before crumbling? sunlight needed or darkness ok?

Dark or light is ok.  The garage should work if it gets hot in there.  Ive heard of people putting them on the dash of their car and leaving it in the hot sun too.  

If you hang them, don’t do one bunch all at one time, spread them out a bit so there is good air flow. 

You’ll see the leaves lose their bright green color and turn sort of dull.  You want them to crumble but not turn to dust, so just keep checking. I’d guess 3 or 4 days.  

I dry lots of other herbs too.  A dehydrator makes it easy and is useful for other things too, like deer jerky.  You should consider getting one, especially if you like to feed your baby more organic and natural foods.  Dehydrated fruits etc are very healthy. 

• Like 2

I'm trying again on the mountain to grow a garden.  Last year I did an effort and everything was going fine.  Then something got into the garden and all I had was a few stalks poking from the ground.  I got all the critters of the forest around the log home.  I'm the alien in this environment  They have no problem getting over or under any fence.

Last year the garden was remote from home so this year I moved it next to home by cutting in half food grade 55 gallon barrels.  My soil is total crap here.  Clay and rock which is a real joy with the tiller.  I have to work a lot into soil to make it useable.  Half barrels made this easier as I just bought garden soil and mixed a little of the domestic soil with it.  So far everything is going great even after hit with a mountain frost.  I did cover plants for this event and a few leaves on Tomatoes got compromised but they recovered

I'm trying "Repels All" and a light that comes on with motion to discourage critters.  My dogs are pretty good with detecting intruders to property.  Any else you can suggest to deter critters?  I'm pretty sure deer were my main culprit.  Likely getting even with me taking their uncle each November.

Potatoes are coming in very well, russet and fingerling. Iceberg lettuce really took off this week. Peppers are booming, eggplant is struggling with flea beetles. Threw some DI on everything hopefully that solves the issue for now. 

Screenshot_20210524-183032_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210524-183024_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210524-183017_Gallery.jpg

I planted a half dozen each summer squash, zucchini, and cucumber seeds on Saturday, along with 1/4 acre of sweetcorn.  In about 2 weeks, I will put in about 6 tomato  plants and another 1/4 acre of sweetcorn.

I hope to have ripe sweetcorn from August 2 thru October 1.  Usually the coons end up getting most of the first batch to ripen.

all of my stuff is taking off well except my eggplant. it's small and withered looking (haha).

I had a few cucumbers of the 5 I planted that were probably in the starter pots too long and died on me and for whatever reason I'm having trouble getting more to germ. Usually cucumbers are retard proof so idk...

I have flowers on a few tomato plants. 

Noticed my apple and pear tree have far, far fewer flowers and buds this year and not sure why.

1 hour ago, Belo said:

all of my stuff is taking off well except my eggplant. it's small and withered looking (haha).

I had a few cucumbers of the 5 I planted that were probably in the starter pots too long and died on me and for whatever reason I'm having trouble getting more to germ. Usually cucumbers are retard proof so idk...

I have flowers on a few tomato plants. 

Noticed my apple and pear tree have far, far fewer flowers and buds this year and not sure why.

Chicken Parm > Eggplant Parm anyway.

• Like 1

Doing all no till this year. Since I can’t keep up with the weeds. Fall planted Cereal Rye with Crimson, Balansa And frosty berseem clovers. To add nitrogen and aid in soil health.
I am rolling this over to snap the stalks and kill the plants in the direction my plant rows will be.
Then will take a shovel and make a small troughs for corn seeds to drop in. And in the other areas will just dig a small enough hole to drop growing vegetables plants in then lay the dead cover crop over the soil. To protect from harsh sun rays and keep the soil more damp and cool.
It’s a win win.. planting a bunch of corn in hopes the kids will help sell and they can pocket the funds. 38299c4a1f3ee25032088a911db4d9ba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/16/2021 at 2:34 PM, E J said:

First sweet corn is popping.

20210516_135850_1.jpg

Now that’s what I call a garden !!! Don’t you have any trouble with wildlife seeing that there’s no fence ? Good luck with the sweet corn. The best corn I’ve ever had came from a little roadside stand up by the Canadian border. They called it Bodacious sweet corn.