2021 garden thread

corydd7

3 hours ago, Water Rat said:

Now that’s what I call a garden !!! Don’t you have any trouble with wildlife seeing that there’s no fence ? Good luck with the sweet corn. The best corn I’ve ever had came from a little roadside stand up by the Canadian border. They called it Bodacious sweet corn. 

We do have trouble with coons and birds on the first plantings. Bodacious is a good one. I grow maybe 5 acres total of sweet corn but my friend grows over 20 . He always turns me on to the best varieties to plant. We are growing Kickstart this year. He liked it a lot last year.

My normally idiot proof cucumbers have been giving me a hell of a time. Everything else doing well though. Have some holes in the zucchini and squash leaves so did my annual does of seven last night. I don’t like using it, but it hasn’t let me down yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One groundhog and one coon so far. My seven month old coonhound had fun today.

Deer broke into my larger garden (didn't eat anything) so I will be raising my fence to 8ish feet today. Soooooo many deer in my yard I need a nuisance permit. 

Screenshot_20210603-115100_Gallery.jpg

Cut scapes off my garlic today, got about 35 of them. I'm going to attempt to make scape pesto with basil that was grown in a solo cup. 

Looks like my Hungarian wax peppers should be ready in less then a week for my first pepper harvest of the year.

Potatoes are starting to flower, I just need to keep putting DE on them so the flea beetles stay under control.

Iceberg and romaine lettuce going very strong.

Screenshot_20210609-171811_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210609-182144_Gallery.jpg

Edited by corydd7
Added info
  • Like 3

Hit the garden with tiller this afternoon.squash plants getting bigger by the day.tomato plants still making it,smaller than id like but worth a shot.broccoli plants getting bigger.will learn from this year on what works and what doesnt!havent done anything but till and plant from seeds started in basement

20210609_181943.jpg

20210609_181958.jpg

• Like 4

Stuff starting to happen here. Corn, cucumbers, peas, peppers, and tomatoes and pumpkins. I was way behind and got the ground plowed with old 3 bottom Allis chalmers trip plow, then disked and planted over Memorial Day Weekend. I know everyone says tomatoes and peppers gotta get started inside, but I spend much more time on my deer food plots than my human food plots. Got about 4 hours in it all in. a4bc4fe422c0f92f88cd6decab03ef3a.jpg
47cc019a86f80c4a31c4a8457fe36d1b.jpg
53e94cf5f90c833b658aa244b073cc1e.jpg

• Like 2

Eggplants have flowers today, tomatoes loaded with flowers. All my peppers have little peppers growing, zucchini has at leaf two that were pollinated. Harvested lettuce, kale and bok Choy already it’s going to be a good year for the garden

• Like 2

3 hours ago, corydd7 said:

Cut scapes off my garlic today, got about 35 of them. I'm going to attempt to make scape pesto with basil that was grown in a solo cup. 

Looks like my Hungarian wax peppers should be ready in less then a week for my first pepper harvest of the year.

Potatoes are starting to flower, I just need to keep putting DE on them so the flea beetles stay under control.

Iceberg and romaine lettuce going very strong.

Screenshot_20210609-171811_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210609-182144_Gallery.jpg

Cory, those scapes are very good on the grill too.  Use the end parts after the little bulb, hit with olive oil, salt pepper, hot pepper if you like and grill em hot and fast.  They’ll turn bright green and get a little lumpy when they are done. 

Scape pesto is excellent too, but my wife doesn’t care for it, so I give most of my scapes away, except for the few that I grill. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, doebuck1234 said:

Peach tree i got last year on side job i did doing ok aswell.alot of peaches started,hoping they stay on!tree is a dwarf loring peach

20210603_174302.jpg

If you want any decent peaches you should thin a bunch of those off. You want about 6 inches in between each peach. What's left will be good sized when ripe.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, E J said:

If you want any decent peaches you should thin a bunch of those off. You want about 6 inches in between each peach. What's left will be good sized when ripe.

Will take that advice,i know nothing about peach tree's..thank you!!!!!

Edited by doebuck1234

Chard this weekend and the tomatoes are coming. 
Cherry tomato plants are huge too 
IMG_20210610_170328067.thumb.jpg.70070a429e786683fe2f836c61dbe200.jpg
IMG_20210610_170339782.thumb.jpg.f0433191ad6d9d6f0b326fee5e615618.jpg

Wow! I thought my garden was booming and all 5 tomatoes plants have flowers but not actually green tomatoes yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1