2021 garden thread

corydd7

12 minutes ago, sbuff said:

Biz what's with the cage on the zucchini, never seen that before 

Not to answer for Biz but I'm trying this on a couple of mine this year. I tie twine to the top of the cage which allows (in theory) the plant to grow vertically and increases air flow which hopefully stops powdery mildew. 

I don't know if it means much but the plant I did this with already has zucchini the others don't with exact same conditions. I also read it helps pollinators but I think the powdery mildew theory makes more sense. I'll send a picture soon.

2 minutes ago, corydd7 said:

Not to answer for Biz but I'm trying this on a couple of mine this year. I tie twine to the top of the cage which allows (in theory) the plant to grow vertically and increases air flow which hopefully stops powdery mildew. 

I don't know if it means much but the plant I did this with already has zucchini the others don't with exact same conditions. I also read it helps pollinators but I think the powdery mildew theory makes more sense. I'll send a picture soon.

Good theory  . I cage half my cuccs but never thought about zucchini . 

9 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Wow! I thought my garden was booming and all 5 tomatoes plants have flowers but not actually green tomatoes yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

im going to have a ton of cherry tomatoes.  Prob have 20 little ones already.  and 6-8 regular tomatoes growing.   But i planted early and the weather held up so it worked out.  Peas are starting to blossom too.  But so far the green onions havent grown much since they took off early. Looking forward to a pea pod salad

• Like 1

0ade243ea92269dbe1b430a967a02854.jpg
38bec9aec0ac850797604cc2f2c4fb4e.jpg

We got rain today. All 5 tomato plants have flowers. Both zukes have veggies growing. Basil and parsley about to get snipped again (3rd time each). And cucumber plants look good but no cukes yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Everything is doing well. Sunflowers are coming in a little slower then last year but look good. Banana peppers are almost ready, carrots and brussel sprouts in the background are doing awesome. I need to thin the carrots. If the weather man was ever correct it would help me know when to fertilize. 

Wasn't there a weather guy from Philly that was on this site a while ago? 

Screenshot_20210614-155109_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20210614-155119_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20210614-155131_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20210614-155142_WhatsApp.jpg

• Like 1

Biz what's with the cage on the zucchini, never seen that before 

Last year my 2 zucchini plants did great but they get so big and i'm digging through big leaves trying to find  zucchini and sometimes miss them and end they up huge. I figured this year I would try caging one and adjust the leaves each week to try to keep it tamer.

And here’s a pic from last year when I miss a zucchini for a few days.

f3b3ba8fc7cb51bad1e1fbef67526990.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Water Rat said:

Got some tomatoes , garlic , string beans and zucchini growing. I'll be cutting off the scapes in a day or two.

IMG_1082.thumb.jpg.0d70f25df64a37d3265e82daa1e20e9a.jpg

Wow that's awesome! Way cleaner then my garden. How many counties do you feed with all that zucchini? Do you can any?

On 6/14/2021 at 6:25 PM, corydd7 said:

Wow that's awesome! Way cleaner then my garden. How many counties do you feed with all that zucchini? Do you can any?

Lol......I give away a lot to my neighbors. I don't can any but my wife makes a lot of zucchini pie and freezes them.

I picked a box of garlic scapes yesterday and will probably make some pesto cream cheese.

3 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Mmmmm…zucchini pie sounds good. Recipe to follow?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll see what I can do.

• Like 1

Sorry crappyice.......can't seem to post the recipe but there are many to choose from on the internet.

The man who posts more memes and pic than anyone one here (and i appreciate that!!!) and can’t post this one?!? I’m suspicious- I think this is the Prize winning recipe that Mama Water Rat (that is not meant as an insult!!!) doesn’t want to share!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

First rip cherry tomato!  It of course did not make it to the house . 

IMG_20210617_165339035.jpg

Did start from seed or bought plant??may have missed it earlier on.my cherry tomatoes need to keep growing,if not i need to get some plants.not missing out on em for an at work snack!

4 minutes ago, doebuck1234 said:

Did start from seed or bought plant??may have missed it earlier on.my cherry tomatoes need to keep growing,if not i need to get some plants.not missing out on em for an at work snack!

I bought them as plants. But I put them in early like mid May and got lucky with the weather. 

• Like 1