2021 garden thread

corydd7

I have a small garden at the GF's house... Ill get a few pics next time, but the deer got to it and ate every last tomato.. every one, plus some of the vine and leaves.  It did not touch the hungarian wax peppers... there are 23 of them minus 2 which I ate last night

I have a small garden at the GF's house... Ill get a few pics next time, but the deer got to it and ate every last tomato.. every one, plus some of the vine and leaves.  It did not touch the hungarian wax peppers... there are 23 of them minus 2 which I ate last night

I’ve shaved some Irish spring soap around the border of some places I didn’t want deer going and it seems to work as a deterrent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I’ve shaved some Irish spring soap around the border of some places I didn’t want deer going and it seems to work as a deterrent

ugh .... that reminds me of the time I did that to keep critters from getting under my shed and had to drive myself to the hospital to stitch my thumb back up. 

30 minutes ago, crappyice said:

d7461b09791324b9bb334dc546da8ddc.jpg
36026c58f149741f27e1a085c698eec6.jpg
6a5c3d5c40b37db888dc18be9c256ea5.jpg

I see an early girl popping out!

i got 50-75 green tomatoes (between cherry tomatoes, carolina gold, and better boys). when will they finally turn red? I'm wondering if they just get too hot? they are in direct sun pretty much all day.

20 hours ago, corydd7 said:

Otto inspired wife approved. Thanks for all the advice Otto. Everything came out great, about 40 bulbs including what I gave away to neighbors and friends. Most bulbs were bigger then expected, I will triple what I planted last year.

A couple banana, Hungarian wax and cucumbers as well.

20210705_182955.jpg

20210705_181509.jpg

20210705_142940.jpg

How do you tell if the garlic is ready .. I pulled 4 plants  ... nice size bulbs . Not sure if I should harvest the rest as they started to die back but its only a few sets of leaves and the tips  are turning brown . Thought  I  would  pull them before the rain . 

Well for  what its worth i pulled them and hung them in the garage. Same way gramps did them . I wish he was here to answer  my questions ... tell me i did wrong would  be more like it ... lol. I was never around for garlic harvest usually bailing  hay at the farm this time of year . 20210706_193624.thumb.jpg.10e1e48a2d74c2795cefbe5577f80eab.jpg

Edited by Nytracker
  • Like 3

Had a crappy day, chiropractor screwed up my back worse then it was, I can barely walk right now. Got home and had an excavator on my lawn, my neighbor had limited space and was having his septic replaced but give me a heads up man! When I went to tell him to just use my driveway I noticed the neighborhood deer had made entry into my garden and destroyed about 60% of everything I had planted. I'm fixing the fence but this is two years in a row were the fence didnt hold up, biggest difference is last year this happened in late September when I had harvested tons of veggies already. 

I will fix the fence but have no hope they don't make it back in. Next year will be a big investment into a heavy duty fence. And why the hell do the deer here love hot peppers?

20210707_115757.jpg

• Sad 3

Well lol hard to see but an hour after my fence fix she was back. I watched her make a hole with her freaking head! Crawled in and when I chased her off my wife caught a picture of her mid jump. She did a somersault snapped the fence post and pranced away. My wife has a video but I cant post it. I'm amazed at how she got in. She had no fear and was no more then 15 yards as I watched her go back in. 

There's always next year. 

Screenshot_20210707-214326_WhatsApp.jpg

Well lol hard to see but an hour after my fence fix she was back. I watched her make a hole with her freaking head! Crawled in and when I chased her off my wife caught a picture of her mid jump. She did a somersault snapped the fence post and pranced away. My wife has a video but I cant post it. I'm amazed at how she got in. She had no fear and was no more then 15 yards as I watched her go back in. 
Screenshot_20210707-214326_WhatsApp.thumb.jpg.374e48c513c064a60123fcf78f5a2a33.jpg

We have also hung dryer sheets around the perimeter of large areas…helps but does prevent fully

• Like 1

6b3368e550b5a45bc113163cb5f5181a.jpg
eb4497980f983d697b380722391534f6.jpg

3 more zucchini harvested today. 1 Cuke looks close. Tons of flowers.

Tomatoes still no red. Pic is of Carolina Golds. At least they are getting lighter in color? I think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

6b3368e550b5a45bc113163cb5f5181a.jpg
eb4497980f983d697b380722391534f6.jpg

3 more zucchini harvested today. 1 Cuke looks close. Tons of flowers.

Tomatoes still no red. Pic is of Carolina Golds. At least they are getting lighter in color? I think?

Everything I read says 85+ degrees is bad for tomatoes turning red. My garden is in direct sun pretty much all day. We’ve had several days of 100+ heat index. With optimal tomato ripening temps around 75, is my garden too hot for tomatoes?

11 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Everything I read says 85+ degrees is bad for tomatoes turning red. My garden is in direct sun pretty much all day. We’ve had several days of 100+ heat index. With optimal tomato ripening temps around 75, is my garden too hot for tomatoes?

You could rig up a shade cloth off your fence.

On 7/7/2021 at 9:49 PM, corydd7 said:

Screenshot_20210707-214326_WhatsApp.jpg

My grandparents always used to use pie tins.would tie em up with a piece of twine along perimeter. Not sure if that was just for deer or other pests?seemed to work though

• Like 3