2021 garden thread

corydd7

16 hours ago, corydd7 said:

Yeah a little but they could use more time. I just wanted to see the progress. 

I read that I should wait for a dry week if possible before I harvest them, is that correct? 

I read that you can dig up the garlic , 4 weeks after you cut the scapes off. That one month is the critical stage of the bulbs growth. I also remember digging up the garlic in October in the hopes of a bigger bulb.

A dry week is nice, but when the leaves are about 50% brown it’s time.  Leave the bulb on the stalk and place in a dry warm place with some air circulation. A garage with an open window is good.  Let them dry for about a week and then snip off the bulbs.  You can then store in a cool dry place like your basement.  They should last through most of the winter, but we try to use ours up before the end of January, which is not hard to do in our house.   Save the largest and best bulbs as your seed for October planting.
I really love taking a full bulb, chop off the top 1/3 wrap in foil and put some olive oil on it then place it on my grill while I am cooking something for a while, like beer can chicken…..when the insides are soft, oh man so good!

Now Otto, put three or four heads of garlic like that, and cook the until super soft, squeeze out all the bulbs, mash with some more oil, salt, crushed red pepper (and then I use some water to get a smoother consistency) and use that garlic paste as the spread under white pizza! Game Changer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I'm embarrassed about the amount of weed but it works. Green and yellow squash should be ready in the next couple days although yellow squash has some blossom end rot. Asian eggplant is close. For me this is the tough part of the year, running soaked hoses and picking weeds isn't fun. My other garden looks much better hoping to pick potatoes real soon.

Screenshot_20210629-185109_Gallery.jpg

20210629_144852.jpg

• Like 4

My garden  just got another beat down .. just had a wave of heavy rain .. wind and hail .  Squash  and cucumbers  have holes  in the leaves. Tomato  plants got beat up . Garlic is in standing water . Hopefully garlic dries out quick because I'm guessing its a week or two from harvest as the bottom leaves are starting to brown . 

Otto inspired wife approved. Thanks for all the advice Otto. Everything came out great, about 40 bulbs including what I gave away to neighbors and friends. Most bulbs were bigger then expected, I will triple what I planted last year.

A couple banana, Hungarian wax and cucumbers as well.

20210705_182955.jpg

20210705_181509.jpg

20210705_142940.jpg

Edited by corydd7
  • Like 3