2021 garden thread

corydd7

On 8/27/2021 at 9:27 AM, Belo said:

anyone have random tomato plants sprout? I don't know if they're seeds from last years tomatoes that fell off or the compost but i have random plants growing outside my beds

Yes we do, we actually replanted a row of these random growing tomatoes and they did well and are ripening only a little behind our planted varieties.

You have something against weed? You must be in your mid 80s, or Amish.

I made great $ as a HS kid selling it. No complaints. But it’s a kids’ drug.

a garden fresh tomato is much more desirable than chronic in 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I made great $ as a HS kid selling it. No complaints. But it’s a kids’ drug.

a garden fresh tomato is much more desirable than chronic in 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kids drug. Well I haven't worked my way up to the adult stuff yet. And I certainly have no problem with tomatoes. I'm eating them every day because I know the time draws near to those miserable excuses for tomatoes we'll be stuck with all winter long. I can't even eat a store bought until after the holidays, lol

2 hours ago, Gobbler Chaser said:

I'm eating them every day because I know the time draws near to those miserable excuses for tomatoes we'll be stuck with all winter long. I can't even eat a store bought until after the holidays, lol

https://www.theartofdoingstuff.com/2-ways-to-have-fresh-tomatoes-this-winter/

Try the second method it is a little different than I was taught. My grandma taught me to wrap each one individually but basically the same concept. Not as good as on the plant ripped but way better than the store bought hydroponic grown tomato’s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What a beautiful sight… the basket is seed garlic for next year, the rest is for us, family and a few lucky friends 2DB8006D-430E-4382-9B9D-952432CE074B.thumb.jpeg.274f59a37a731dc0db393ef5ed66c853.jpeg

Cool looking harvest! Is there something specific you are looking for to decide which is the “seed” garlic for next year?
You’re vampire neighbors must be PISSED!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Cool looking harvest! Is there something specific you are looking for to decide which is the “seed” garlic for next year?
You’re vampire neighbors must be PISSED!

The 50 biggest bulbs that don’t have more than 6 cloves get replanted for next year.

Still going but running thin…
8da5768a076836f2144ec89f0042e182.jpg
1c5703c990671766274733363bef83d3.jpg

Zero eggplant to date!!!

I’m running thin too, I started same fall Seeds today… carrots, kale, beets, reddish, lettuce

I have decided the rest of my jalapeños will stay on the plant till red and I will attempt to make chipotle in adobo sauce

• Like 2

On 8/28/2021 at 7:29 PM, 9jNYstarkOH said:

Yes we do, we actually replanted a row of these random growing tomatoes and they did well and are ripening only a little behind our planted varieties.

yeah same. i went from what i thought were tomato smelling weeds to flowers and now some ripening fruit!

18 minutes ago, Gobbler Chaser said:

I've never tried it. But you say indoor is the way to go? That requires lighting etc, correct

yeah basically a whole indoor grow setup. tent, light, ventilation etc. It's not cheap but weed isn't great at growing outdoors in our climate, not to mention the whole winter bit lol. But even in the summer is very susceptible to certain diseases and pests.