2021 garden thread

corydd7

Deer broke in for the final time last night so I cleaned the garden out today (more potatoes and carrots to go). Jalapeños are huge, I also have 8 pounds of green peppers in the window cill I'm trying to ripen up. Those three jars of eggplant in oil were ten eggplant! So much work but so good. I ran out of jars so I'll buy more tomorrow and pickle four or five more jars of banana and Hungarian wax peppers. 

20210913_164806.jpg

20210913_190111.jpg

20210913_190123.jpg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, corydd7 said:

Deer broke in for the final time last night so I cleaned the garden out today (more potatoes and carrots to go). Jalapeños are huge, I also have 8 pounds of green peppers in the window cill I'm trying to ripen up. Those three jars of eggplant in oil were ten eggplant! So much work but so good. I ran out of jars so I'll buy more tomorrow and pickle four or five more jars of banana and Hungarian wax peppers. 

20210913_164806.jpg

20210913_190111.jpg

20210913_190123.jpg

Is there as secret to eggplant we have tried two years and two different types with no success? 

5 minutes ago, corydd7 said:

Got me, but boy does it produce for me. But I do have about ten plants and I did have three that barely produced. 

Try asian eggplant next year, taste better grows better, produces more and earlier then Italian eggplant.

That the one we tried this year only three plants we got a couple good ones but it was another very lackluster harvest. I was going to give up on them but will try again next year after seeing your success.

• Thanks 1

That the one we tried this year only three plants we got a couple good ones but it was another very lackluster harvest. I was going to give up on them but will try again next year after seeing your success.

I’m with you! Can’t grow it for crap and yet my buddy up
The road gets it in bushels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife canned 2 batches of crushed  tomatoes.  We still have a bushel  and a half in basket.  More on the plants . Cut the number of tomatoes  planted in half  only 12 plants.  Picked the last of the squash.  Picked a peck of peppers  all sliced up and frozen . Leave the plants until frost . Have been cutting bruslesprouts for a while and they are still going strong . Cukes got mosaic virus and I pulled them in August. In a month I will be planting garlic .

Edited by Nytracker

On 9/10/2021 at 6:30 PM, 9jNYstarkOH said:

41 lbs hope it’s a good one.

41D8EC04-13C7-467D-8D02-F32077148CD9.jpeg

How was the watermelon ? I’m sick and tired of wasting my money on store bought watermelons. I thought about growing them next year but I’m sure it would overtake the garden. I haven’t had a good , sweet juicy watermelon since I was a kid. Nowadays they’re seedless and they suck. I end up tossing them in the mulch pile.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Water Rat said:

How was the watermelon ? I’m sick and tired of wasting my money on store bought watermelons. I thought about growing them next year but I’m sure it would overtake the garden. I haven’t had a good , sweet juicy watermelon since I was a kid. Nowadays they’re seedless and they suck. I end up tossing them in the mulch pile.

It was really sweet. We didn’t get many watermelons, but the ones we did get so far have been big and good. We planted one sugar baby and one crimson sweet grown from seeds.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Water Rat said:

4 minutes ago, 9jNYstarkOH said:

It was really sweet. We didn’t get many watermelons, but the ones we did get so far have been big and good. We planted one sugar baby and one crimson sweet grown from seeds.

Yellow watermelon is awesome if you haven't tried it.

• Like 1

No pics but wife picked 4 eggplant yesterday for eggplant parmesan. Nice considering last year we didn't get any. Garden is dwindling but still have beets cabbage brussel sprouts eggplant butternut squash collard greens swiss chard and pumpkins onions. Picked our last green peppers today. Anyone do dilly brussel sprouts?

• Like 1