2021 garden thread

corydd7

Can't believe how well the brussel sprouts are doing, they give me such a hard time germinating but once they get going they have been super easy.

Even though the flea beetles did damage to all my eggplant they are starting to produce. The asian eggplant is ahead of italian.

Marigolds just starting to show their colors as of yesterday. Carrots, potatoes, and garlic should be ready in two weeks.

Peppers really slowed their progress the last week, I do have four or five Hungarian Wax peppers I could pull but I want to see if they will change colors.

Screenshot_20210621-114511_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210621-114502_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210621-114453_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210621-114448_Gallery.jpg

• Like 2

So I'm hoping I didn't screw up too badly...

I had been noticing that the water coming from our backyard well that I use to water the garden was pretty rotten smelling, and when I opened the lid, I saw that I had some unlucky critters that had fallen in. I pulled out a variety of small rodents (about 8 total) out last week. In an effort to clean up the water a little bit, I sprinkled just a very little bit of pool shock (I mean a super small amount). The good news is that the water no longer stinks, but after watering the garden the other day, I've wrinkled up one of my rhubarb plants pretty good and the peppers are a little wrinkly too. I remember seeing soybeans do something similar when getting hit with a witches brew back in my ag days, and they would usually pull through. I'm a little apprehensive to use the well for a little while until the chlorine has cleared out. I'll keep an eye on the plants and water from our house tap for the next few weeks. The tomatoes and cucumbers seemed unfazed, so that's a good thing. 

28 minutes ago, Splitear said:

So I'm hoping I didn't screw up too badly...

I had been noticing that the water coming from our backyard well that I use to water the garden was pretty rotten smelling, and when I opened the lid, I saw that I had some unlucky critters that had fallen in. I pulled out a variety of small rodents (about 8 total) out last week. In an effort to clean up the water a little bit, I sprinkled just a very little bit of pool shock (I mean a super small amount). The good news is that the water no longer stinks, but after watering the garden the other day, I've wrinkled up one of my rhubarb plants pretty good and the peppers are a little wrinkly too. I remember seeing soybeans do something similar when getting hit with a witches brew back in my ag days, and they would usually pull through. I'm a little apprehensive to use the well for a little while until the chlorine has cleared out. I'll keep an eye on the plants and water from our house tap for the next few weeks. The tomatoes and cucumbers seemed unfazed, so that's a good thing. 

If you have a spout or a means to hook up a garden hose to the well , run it off to the side and just let it run for a few  hours. It will flush out the chlorinated water and you will be fine. I take it that its a dug well if you could reach in and pull rodents out. A full bag of pool shock can chlorinate 10 thousand gallons. It doesn't take much to heavily chlorinate a well with a few hundred gallons in it. Just flush it out and you will be back to normal. 

Edited by SportsmanNH

1 hour ago, SportsmanNH said:

If you have a spout or a means to hook up a garden hose to the well , run it off to the side and just let it run for a few  hours. It will flush out the chlorinated water and you will be fine. I take it that its a dug well if you could reach in and pull rodents out. A full bag of pool shock can chlorinate 10 thousand gallons. It doesn't take much to heavily chlorinate a well with a few hundred gallons in it. Just flush it out and you will be back to normal. 

That sounds like a plan. It is a dug well, and I just put a little sprinkle in and put the rest in the pool. Hopefully it doesn't take too much to flush it out. 

I know I know it's to early to pull garlic but it's my first time, everything goes so fast your first time I had to pull out, at least one. Decent size, was very close to another bulb so I'm hoping the others will be bigger and last longer as I go.

Please nobody laugh at my small garlic, I'm a little self conscious. 

20210624_201705.jpg

Edited by corydd7
Attempt at humor
  • Like 3

Cory, it’s been a dry summer so unless watered frequently that is the size they will get.  We’re the top leaves turning brown? That is usually the signal to pull the garlic and dry it. 

A dry week is nice, but when the leaves are about 50% brown it’s time.  Leave the bulb on the stalk and place in a dry warm place with some air circulation. A garage with an open window is good.  Let them dry for about a week and then snip off the bulbs.  You can then store in a cool dry place like your basement.  They should last through most of the winter, but we try to use ours up before the end of January, which is not hard to do in our house.   Save the largest and best bulbs as your seed for October planting.

I really love taking a full bulb, chop off the top 1/3 wrap in foil and put some olive oil on it then place it on my grill while I am cooking something for a while, like beer can chicken…..when the insides are soft, oh man so good!

• Like 2