.380 choices

Hey everyone,

I am in the market for a .380 for concealed carry. I have done my research and have narrowed my choices to the following;

1. Diamondback DB380

2. Ruger LCP380

3. S&W Bodyguard 380

4. Walther PK380

There are a ton of reviews on youtube, but I wanted to ask if anyone here has any personal experience with any of my choices to help me decide.

Thanks.

Birdhunter

I started out with the Ruger LCP as my summer off duty. It wasn't a bad gun for the money. When the Smith and Wesson Bodyguard came out, I bought one and sold the LCP. I didn't like the sights on the LCP or the fact that it didn't stay open on the last shot. The Bodyguard has much better sights, shoots much more accurately and has the integrated laser. The size is the same just a tad heavier.

Got the Bodyguard...not a bad gun. The pulls takes a little to get used to, but it is nice.

I'd love to check out the DB...people say it is great. I think it is made from the Kel-tec people...or some sort of business deal that involves them.

Nothing wrong with the Kel-Tec P3-AT. It is very much like the Ruger LCP, but a little lighter, thinner and less expensive. It's a CCW piece designed to be DAO, so you carry it loaded like a revolver, there's no safety, and it has a trigger pull like a double action revolver. It's not a target pistol, so it's sights are not good. But in a CCW encounter, you shouldn't be shooting at long range, or aiming like you do at targets on the range. You pull it out, stick it in the perps gut pouch and pull the trigger twice!

Too many guys look at a CCW piece like they are looking at a target piece. It's not that type of gun. What it should be is a repeater that is thin, light, reliable and powerful enough to stop an attacker at close range. Most importantly, it must be small enough to be concealed in any type of summer clothing, and convenient enough to be carried all of the time, rather than left at home at any time.

If you are thinking of a piece that you won't carry when wearing shorts, a tank top and sandals, you are looking at the wrong piece.

I think Kel Tecs are garbage, unless that have gotten much better over the years. Usually, you get what you pay for.

Yes, these pocket pistols are designed for concealed carry, but that doesn't mean you don't need any sights. Not all gun fights are from 2 feet. And you certainly don't want to put the muzzle of your weapon directly on someone, especially not in the gut, or in arms length for that matter.

They are all double action, but some have better sights than others. Only makes sense to me to buy one that can be shot more accurately should the need arise.

I have the Ruger LCP. It is true that it has very poor sights. I am ok with that right now. I use it when I want to through something in my pocket, or in warm weather when concealing anything large is not easy.There is a company that make after market sights for it. Here is me plinking, aiming from the cameras view screen. (Not to easy ha ha.) Oh that is video if you click it...(how do you post a video directly to site??)

th_lcp.jpg

Edited by Ford

PistolP71, you do know the Ruger LCP is a copy of the P3-AT right? Far from garbage if Ruger decided to copy it.

They have sights by the way, just not target sights.

If an attacker is on top of you, you don't have the option of keeping the muzzle at arms length.

They are not all double action. There are plenty of blowback design pistols that use a safety in this category.

You may want a pistol that is better at shooting accurately at longer ranges, but f it's to big to conceal, ortoo uncomfortable to carry all the time, you won't have it on you when the need arises. Not all people can afford high dollar guns, or more than one carry gun. If it's gotta be your only one, it's best if it can be carried in any weather, under any circumstances.

Grouse, Yes I'm aware it's of a copy of that design but I don't believe the internal parts are identically made. I has been my experience and that of many of my coworkers that Kel tec is very very poor quality. Not something I'll have my life depend on that's for sure.

I would hardly consider those sights. merely a groove cut out of the top of the slide. They don't have to be "target" sights, just real, clear, sights.

If an attacker is on top of you, you may not have the option. But I wouldn't purposely put the weapon directly on the person, especially not his gut, unless you are trying to wound him and get shot yourself. Space is your friend.

Every one of those 4 weapons listed are Double Action. 3 being DOA and one D/S.

I agree, the size of the weapon, and the ability to conceal it and carry it whatever you are wearing is the most important. All I'm saying is there are weapons in the same category that are better than others. Usually a few bucks more, but you usually get what you pay for.

Not to be difficult but a 38 revolver has many advantages and even though I don't have any experience with the 327 mag it's supposed to be good for self defence which is what we're talking about. 327 is a six shot and with a three inch barrel I think you'd be better off. JMO Good luck on whatever you decide. PS if you stay with a 380 check out Beretta, my brother has one and it's never jammed. Can't say that about too many guns, which is why I got rid of my Kel-Tec in 40. It jammed.

You make a couple of good points: a revolver is close to foolproof; autos are not always so. The .327 mag in a snubby would be a powerful piece in a small package...but, if you are talking about the Ruger SP101, it is HEAVY! Heavy for carry...but great for taming that powerful load. I had a Taurus titanium ultra-lite in .38 +p....It was a bear to shoot! Practicing it was NOT fun; I traded it!

This is a good thread...Nice to get so many opinions on a very important topic.

When I buy my next one, it will be the Walther PPS in 40cal. Im not going to mess with 380 (not enough power IMO for CCW) and Im not a 9mm fan. I love, L O V E the performance of my Springfield XD40 and wish they had made a single stack version of the XDm, but they didnt, so even the 3.8 isnt much more concealable than mine. The Walther is nice and small, light and being a 40, has stopping power. The price is a bit higher than the guns you mentioned, but Id rather spend the $150 extra for possibly saving my or my family's lives.

I have the LCP for what it is its fine. 3 of us got them when the first came out mine handles most ammo fine,one HP did not work to well but Critical Defense works 100 % I have a few hundred rounds through mine.

Over the last 30 some years I've carried most days, from L frame S&W's to Glocks,38 snubbies and on and on.

Taking the dog for a run now (ill be on my bike) 38 snub in back pocket .

LCP is my Light weight shorts pocket gun for around the house or say in camo pants pocket, when I'm not supposed to have a gun (although most guys I know do...)

My carry guns are a .40 glock,38 snub or sometimes LCP. The LCP or any 380 would not be MY first choice for a main carry gun,like some have said 9mm like Kahr are not much bigger,even an air weight snub with +p's can be hidden in most places a 380 could.

That said I like my LCP , many of the lcp's work better "wet" btw.

FWIW I've plugged up at least 150 maybe 200 bullet wounds,from .22 to 12 ga slugs.My thoughts .Shot placement #1, big holes #2,how tough the guy is or high may trump 1 and 2....

Thanks everyone..this is why I posted it on here. I am not in a rush and I wanted to get some feedback on my choices as well as others that I didn't consider. You have not let me down.....I have more research to do and am going to head back to the gun store this weekend to handle a few more of the options that were mentioned.

I carried a Walther ppk for over 25years. One of the best functioning most reliable guns I have ever seen. I can run mag after mag of staggered ammo and never have any type of failure. I have no idea how many rounds i've put through it but never a fail.

Last year I retired the Walther (although I still break it out now and then) and now carry a Kahr MK40. About the same size of the PPK but 40cal.

In real warm weather i go with a Kel tech P3AT. It's super small and light...slips right into my front pocket.