Where To Start In The Hunt For A Covid Shot?

Lawdwaz

I haven't given it much effort yet but know it's the right thing to do so, what the best way to source a covid shot?  I've looked at the NYS website some this morning.  Is that the only way to get one?

(I have a letter from my doctor saying I qualify but am under 65 years old)

Edited by Lawdwaz

Go to your county web site. Most are posting clinics there. Can call 211 for info on it.  Also most of the news outlets have links on thier websites.  Most local pharmacies are also doing shots but a lot of them book up quickly.  Can also call the county dept of health they usually have info.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure it's the right thing to do for everybody.  I'm 65 and I have had the virus.  Tired for a week with aches and pain in my joints with a mild fever of 100 degrees.  Lost taste and smell for a month.  Changed diet and took vitamins and zinc.  Lost 15 pounds due to lack of appetite.  Look and feel better now than I have in years.

I know about 7 friends who've had the virus and feel them same as me.  We all agree we've had flu symptoms in the past that were far worse.

None of us is getting the vaccine.  Rather let natural immunities build up and keep us healthy.  What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?

I for one have never gotten a flu shot in my life.  But I have always been very healthy, hardly ever getting sick.  I'd rather take my chances with the flu then with something the government concocted to inject into people.  Some of those flu shots killed people and a recent report from the NIH was just squashed because it said years of flu shots may be the reason for the increase is alzheimer cases today.

I don't see this virus as a deadly threat like the plague.  I see it as a virus that is far less deadly then most think it is.  I'm concerned we don't know what the problems with the vaccine may prove to be.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I'm not sure it's the right thing to do for everybody.  I'm 65 and I have had the virus.  Tired for a week with aches and pain in my joints with a mild fever of 100 degrees.  Lost taste and smell for a month.  Changed diet and took vitamins and zinc.  Lost 15 pounds due to lack of appetite.  Look and feel better now than I have in years.

I know about 7 friends who've had the virus and feel them same as me.  We all agree we've had flu symptoms in the past that were far worse.

None of us is getting the vaccine.  Rather let natural immunities build up and keep us healthy.  What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?

I for one have never gotten a flu shot in my life.  But I have always been very healthy, hardly ever getting sick.  I'd rather take my chances with the flu then with something the government concocted to inject into people.  Some of those flu shots killed people and a recent report from the NIH was just squashed because it said years of flu shots may be the reason for the increase is alzheimer cases today.

I don't see this virus as a deadly threat like the plague.  I see it as a virus that is far less deadly then most think it is.  I'm concerned we don't know what the problems with the vaccine may prove to be.

I didn't ask for an opinion on the shot or a brief health history, just ideas on locating the shot.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Stop thread crapping....he didn't ask your opinion on the shot....he asked how to go about getting one.

Larry try this number....they search a 50 mile radius when you call and will book for you if one is available. 18336974829

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been trying to get the vaccine for over a month now with no luck until yesterday! I try every day, several times some days.(when I remember) I go to the NYS web site first, then I try rite aid and cvs site. Only vaccines available have been in Syracuse or further from Buffalo. My wife got a call yesterday from a friend and she said that vaccines were available at the FEMA site in Buffalo. They must have just gotten a new shipment and within minutes almost all the appointments filled up. I managed to get an appointment for my wife on 3-18, and myself on 3-21. They filled so fast that it I couldn't get 2 appointments on the same day! I assume that they schedule the follow up shot at your appointment? Unless it's the new vaccine that is a single dose? They don't tell you which vaccine your going to get and you don't have a choice. I'm getting it because until this crap gets under control there is no way I'm stepping 1 foot on an airplane and I really need to go visit my son and DiL in So. Cal.

• Like 2

Along with finding a shot I was at my doctor yesterday and he said you can bet in the next few weeks they will drop the age to 55. I have a tentative appointment at Stoneybrook University. Word of mouth got me the appointment. Good luck

You may or may not not qualify, but I went through the Vets Administration. Happened to sign up right as they had a cancellation and I was in within 2 days. very efficent at the medical center, I was in and out within 40 minutes, including a 15 post injection wait to see if I was allergic.

38 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Stop thread crapping....he didn't ask your opinion on the shot....he asked how to go about getting one.

Larry try this number....they search a 50 mile radius when you call and will book for you if one is available. 18336974829

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

I just called them.  Other than the incredibly poor phone connection (due to the person on the other end using a "Green Acres" type phone system) and the only available shots in Syracuse, Potsdam and Utica the call was a success.    It showed me I'll have to just keep trying and try an "end around" like Taco Tim.  Thank you!

• Like 1

I haven't given it much effort yet but know it's the right thing to do so, what the best way to source a covid shot?  I've looked at the NYS website some this morning.  Is that the only way to get one?
(I have a letter from my doctor saying I qualify but am under 65 years old)

Yankees Stadium. It’s open 24/7 for the J&J shot. Parlay it with a SENY GTG?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Check the NYS site. They tend to open spots at 12am, 8am and around 8pm. Start checking an hour between those times. The pharmacies are only giving to 65 and over, so you'll have to go to vaccine hubs. I got my mother and brother shots using this method with in a couple days of checking. Make sure you bring the letter with you on the day though

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Check the NYS site. They tend to open spots at 12am, 8am and around 8pm. Start checking an hour between those times. The pharmacies are only giving to 65 and over, so you'll have to go to vaccine hubs. I got my mother and brother shots using this method with in a couple days of checking. Make sure you bring the letter with you on the day though

Good information. Thank you

• Like 2

I had an appointment for the end of the month.  I checked the NYS site Monday morning when I got up about 5am and openings had popped up in Potsdam for Monday and Tuesday- drove up and got the jab ( and immediately cancelled my other appointment so it's available to others) It's a drive but I got it done.

I tried the Walgreen's , CVS and Walmart sites and had no luck . Two nights ago , around 11pm , I got on the NYS site and found single openings . It was like bidding on EBAY . Was posting my info on a April 1 date , was almost finished and got zapped or out bid . I was able to get an appointment at the Dome Arena for April 8 . There were several openings in Syracuse and the NY City area but I didn't try any of them . 

Setup some trail cams by the county office building.  Best to use cell cams and watch for people coming out holding their arms. Then get in there quick before dark.  As county workers are def heading to bedding areas by 4pm.  

Good luck Larry.  Mostly it's just waiting for these to open and try to get signed up before they fill up.  But more and more are coming out.  Now your gonna have to look for clinics for cormobidities.  County and local pharmacies are best options. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would start by calling your family doc. He will be able to steer you toward your counties sources. At this time it is likely you will have an appt for at least a couple weeks down the road, and they will schedule your 2nd shot at the time of your first. 

By chance are you a veteran? if so you can call the VA for an appt.

• Like 1