Coyotes On The Move Across New York

Coyote breeding season extends into March, with new pups typically arriving in April and May. During this time of year, we tend to get more reported sightings of these wily creatures. While coyotes will typically avoid contact with humans, conflicts with people and pets may result as coyotes tend to be territorial around den sites during the spring through mid-summer period as they forage almost constantly to provide food for their young.

To reduce the potential for conflicts, DEC recommends that the public follow the common-sense tips outlined below. If a coyote is exhibiting bold behaviors and shows little or no fear of people, contact your Regional Wildlife Office or, in emergency situations, the local police department. For more information on the coyote and preventing conflicts with coyotes, visit these DEC websites: Eastern Coyote and Coyote Conflicts.

be coyote conscious

Coyote breeding season extends into March, with new pups typically arriving in April and May. During this time of year, we tend to get more reported sightings of these wily creatures. While coyotes will typically avoid contact with humans, conflicts with people and pets may result as coyotes tend to be territorial around den sites during the spring through mid-summer period as they forage almost constantly to provide food for their young.

To reduce the potential for conflicts, DEC recommends that the public follow the common-sense tips outlined below. If a coyote is exhibiting bold behaviors and shows little or no fear of people, contact your Regional Wildlife Office or, in emergency situations, the local police department. For more information on the coyote and preventing conflicts with coyotes, visit these DEC websites: Eastern Coyote and Coyote Conflicts.

coyoteconscious_original.jpg

I prefer to avoid conflicts by shooting them prior to them entering my personal space

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

I prefer to avoid conflicts by shooting them prior to them entering my personal space

#WeDemandADislikeButton

Agreed but I think the warning is for suburbanites, snowflakes, ones with lap dogs, and cats that more than likely don't even own a gun. 

• Like 1

Agreed but I think the warning is for suburbanites, snowflakes, ones with lap dogs, and cats that more than likely don't even own a gun. 
Oh I don't own rat dogs. Never have. never will

#WeDemandADislikeButton

Current hunting practices do little except to push the 'yotes around. Where there is good habitat, there will be dogs. With my property across from a park/refuge, there is little to no hope of my being able to eradicate them from my land. But i sure would like to drop a few more before the year ends.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, knehrke said:

Current hunting practices do little except to push the 'yotes around. Where there is good habitat, there will be dogs. With my property across from a park/refuge, there is little to no hope of my being able to eradicate them from my land. But i sure would like to drop a few more before the year ends.

Best bet to make any impact is to trap them. A trap line will work for you 24/7 and we can't be out there like that to hunt them. 

2 hours ago, rachunter said:

I still don't get it they want to eradicate them,but let them raise there litter.It just doesn't make any sense even with over populated deer areas.

NY has them classified as a furbearer which ties them to a specific season. Several states list them as predators and have a season that is open 365 days.

• Like 4

To even think about making any dent ,they need to be killed during denning ,and on top of that ,in a wide spread area .

Most novice predator callers and trappers do nothing but educate many of the coyotes .Going out on a farm killing 3 dogs a season is not crippling the local coyote population.it takes a lot of work to reduce a population down to a size where you will have better fawn survival rate .

• Like 2

1 minute ago, First-light said:

Guy by me runs dogs. He has permission from all my neighbors to hunt yotes like this. One season they shot 17. They hunted this year but I didn't get an update. 

Notice that year after year they generally kill the same amount .Meaning more are bred and more filter back in .No population reduction at all .

5 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

Besides humans, do Coyotes  have any other natural predators? Part of the problem Im suspecting is that too many of the Pups survive, or is that not so?

The only predator i've heard of besides humans of adult coyotes is Wolves. I dont know it as a fact but my guess is a bear or bobcat might grab a pup for a snack given the chance.

• Like 1

At 4-7 pups per litter it’s an up hill battle. Even if a trapper has a solid year and traps 20 yotes. It only takes 5 females to replace them on the low end. I’d hunt them year round if it was legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

17 hours ago, WNYTRPR said:

Notice that year after year they generally kill the same amount .Meaning more are bred and more filter back in .No population reduction at all .

Because NY isn't trying to eradicate them.  They are actually protected.  If NY decided to eradicate them, it could be done.  I firmly believe NY wants them here to further keep the deer population under control in addition to hunters.  The problem I see is, hunters can be managed, yotes can't.

• Like 2

I'm not sure whether we can eradicate coyotes - Western states have been trying for years with no success, but lots of $$ flushed down the john - but we sure did a number on wolves.

I'm sure most on here know, but wolves were eradicated in NY in the 1800s. Coyotes moved through Canada and filled the niche left by their absence. They picked up wolf and dog DNA along the way to make up what is now the Eastern coyote genetic background. 

I'm not sure that our current culture is amenable to eradication through bounties, trapping, and any-means-necessary. Most folks just don't know enough to care. It is like invasive species in our woodlands. I hear people saying, "It's green, so it's good, right? Nature and all". The disconnect is unreal.

To give an idea .Yearly I usually trap on avg 12-15 fox off this this section .I usually start second week of November .This year was 22 reds and 4 coyote.I can go back to each spot I trapped and this would be the scene .this was 3 days after I pulled traps .I have never pulled traps just to “leave seed”.no need .This is a mix of fox and coyote tracks .Like said above ,out west ,Ariel gunning ,poison ,government trappers ,fur trappers ,denning ect and still ,year after year limited reduction in the coyote population .

D57F96AD-3F3B-485E-945D-68221A2F87C5.jpeg

They do bring some good side benefits.  One of those is coon control.  I was able to get some pretty good late harvests of sweetcorn last year, thanks to the coyotes.  I dont dislike them as much as I used to.

20210309_074437.jpg

Edited by wolc123

As long as they have refuge and a season, the coyote population will never be effectively controlled.

I do see a difference on/near my land upstate, as I have friends, trappers and dog's that continually harass them.

We find some of their dens and set trail cams to watch them year round.

Their part of the food chain too.

Edited by Shoots100