How To Make Wingbones From Your Spring Gobbler Or Fall Hen

I have made around 17 or so Wild Turkey Wingbones so far. I know, I  have lost a good 4 in the Turkey Woods as well.

I use the easiest and quickest method in that,I  don't  Boil the Ulna or Radius Bones.

Some Turkey Hunters like the Bleached White of Boiled Bones- but,I  don't  opt for this personally. 

The Quicker you do this after Killing a Turkey- the easier the process of cleaning the insides of both the Ulna + Radius.  Now the Ulna is the Smaller of the 2 Bones and will serve as you mouthpiece. On us- the Ulna is on the " Pinky" side of your Hand.

First what,I  do is Very Gently Vice the Bones and Hacksaw both ends off of both the Ulna + the Radius.

Next- buy some " Pipe Cleaners" and Throughly  clean out the Marrow while it is Soft. Keep running water through the Bones and use more Pipe Cleaners.

Make sure the outside of the Bones are clean + Free of Tendon + Ligament matter and any remaining Muscle Tissue.

In finishing this up, I  will use a very Small pocket Knife. Don't  take too much Bone off as you may change the Tone.

Some Turkey Hunters have been known to shave down both the Ulna + Radius to get a different  Tone. And that part would be up to you. Personally, I  don't  want to take too much Bone off  during the cleaning process.

I like to wait a few days before  using basic Elmer's Glue. None have come apart yet.

I have quite a Few Gobbler Wingbones that,I  will use in the Fall. The Hen Wingbones,I  really Favor for Clucks while the Toms are still Roosted.

Easy Process. Just takes some Time and you can use the Bones of a Turkey you killed to possibly call up another one at a later date.

Don't  Forget to " name" your Wingbones. Upcoming Picture with 2 Pheasant Wingbones as well.

@Blackbeltbill I have made a few myself, but never used them to call a bird in. I’m afraid to blow an opportunity and am so confident in my Lynch Box, which I’ve used to entice many a gobbler to me. I’ve also given 2 as gifts to friends whom Ive called in their first bird as an additional momento to their hunt

+/- how many have you called in with a wingbone?

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Big Indian said:

@Blackbeltbill I have made a few myself, but never used them to call a bird in. I’m afraid to blow an opportunity and am so confident in my Lynch Box, which I’ve used to entice many a gobbler to me. I’ve also given 2 as gifts to friends whom Ive called in their first bird as an additional momento to their hunt

+/- how many have you called in with a wingbone?

I have used a Wingbones in combination  with a pot call to call a few Turkeys in.

They are not really my go to call as,I  like Pots + Boxes better.I too have a old Lynch Box bought around 1994 or so.

I like Wingbones for their Clucks + Gobbler Yelps in the Fall.

I am working on my first very slowly, to be honest I am a bit intimidated by it, I am not good with my hands but I have to finish putting my pieces together here in the next month.