Atv for ice fishing

Honestly it sounds like you need a sxs .

One of the guys I fish with regularly uses a can am side by side. Unless they make a long bed version I can fit more on the wheeler than he can in his bed. We always pick in him that he looks like the clampetts with everything stacked in the bed.

The reason why I want to stick with the wheeler is because everything has a spot in one of the racks. Everything stays organized and everything has a spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I’ve posted on a couple other atv forums but figured I would put my question up here as well.

I’m looking for the ultimate tire setup for my 700 kodiak for ice fishing duties. I fish a lot and fish a bunch of tournaments so often I can’t just not go if the ice conditions suck “slushy or deep snow etc.” I put almost 400 miles on my wheeler this ice fishing season so it gets ridden a lot and often on long runs up and down lakes especially pre fishing for tournaments. The last 2 years I’ve ran the stock 25” tall tires with chains on all 4’s and it’s worked but I’m tired of dealing with them and listening to them etc. I know I don’t want a mud tire they’re the absolute worst in deep snow. What I’m thinking is more of an all terrain in the 28-30” tall range and studding them. I think I’m going to have to lift it to fit the bigger tires, especially with the loads I carry with all my gear and me.

Anyone have any insight on any of this? I’ve ridden wheelers my whole life but trying to set one up specially for ice fishing is new to me.

I know a wheeler will have limitations, I have a snowmobile I can use it if the snow gets too deep but a snowmobile is a huge pain when you have to drag a sled. It’s so much nicer being able to have everything I need mounted on the wheeler.

I also know that tracks are the obvious answer and that may end up being the direction I go but my hold up on tracks are 1)cost, 2)having to pull and park a trailer it’s so much easier driving the wheelers into the truck “parking is always an issue especially at tournaments,” 3) cost of a new trailer, it will have to be enclosed so that adds another 3-5k to the project. Tracks are basically a 10,000$ investment that I will only “need” 1 or 2 days a winter, it makes them hard to justify.

If anyone’s got any ideas on good studdable snow tires let me know.

It was more out of lack of funds but it sure did work well. Years ago one buddy was pulling our stuff out on the ice for fishing a lot.  He got a used set of tires for his wheeler and he ran hex head sheet metal screws into the tread lugs.  it was the best thing I've seen for running on the ice for wheeled vehicles. 

It was more out of lack of funds but it sure did work well. Years ago one buddy was pulling our stuff out on the ice for fishing a lot.  He got a used set of tires for his wheeler and he ran hex head sheet metal screws into the tread lugs.  it was the best thing I've seen for running on the ice for wheeled vehicles. 

Studs work very well, whatever tires I end up with I will have studded with carbide studs.

• 3 weeks later...

Just seeing this now, but i have these on my quad. I think its the best all around ATV tire for off road use.. Havent been on open ice but the lugs being more across the tire rather than in the same direction of rotation would lead me to think it would act like a tire chain somewhat.  

https://www.sunftires.com/product/sunf-a033-tire-combo/