Just looked at some nice woods,,, but $$$$

luberhill

Yikes seems high to me , I’d dump our 120 acres in Ontario county in heart beat for far less .

Check this out 36 acres ,well, septic , box blinds , food plots etc . 79 k , you could come visit Doc and myself too ......

https://www.landandfarm.com/property/36_6_Acres_in_Ontario_County-10964614/

Edited by Nomad

I don’t know exactly where in the finger Lakes you’re talking about but that seems a little bit expensive but with the pandemic prices have jumped dramatically so who knows  

so things you should be looking for does it have municipal water access does it have natural gas pipelines you can access does it have electric poles or underground to it if it has these things perhaps it may be worth it to Negotiate If it does not have any of these things it will be much more expensive to put a house there as bringing utilities and water to a property Will add to the purchase expense.  
also look at the neighboring properties see how many other property owners Touch up against the property you’re buying.  Look at satellite images of the property and surrounding properties and look for sanctuary areas. They should be thick Brushy areas if the property you’re looking at holds any of this or surrounding properties do with any food sources you’re probably in luck if not they want to much money walk away

the thing with real estate right now its a seller market. BUT never believe what the seller says research research research.They say things like i got other people interested , oh yeah there is a row[right of way ] ask to see it in the deed .they'll say oh the taxes are $4000 a year true but for them BUT not you cause they might be in the star program or a veteran  and when you buy it you get reassessed and your paying $8000.look up the tax records and zillow and even crai gs list  see how long its been on the market .b/s with the neighbors cause some if not most times they dont get along or are resentful they couldnt buy it or the seller wont sell it to them. Today its very easy to get info its just a click of a mouse .

33 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Yikes seems high to me , I’d dump our 120 acres in Ontario county in heart beat for far less .

Check this out 36 acres ,well, septic , box blinds , food plots etc . 79 k , you could come visit Doc and myself too ......

That pc is sold 

Oh yeah there's more the sellers says its 40 acres but the mayor of the neighborhood [you know the old geezer that knows everybodys business] says its 32 acres. and if you see +or-  acres its a redflag if you really want it get a survey cause another thing the seller are notorious for saying oh i just got the survey done 2 yrs ago i'll save money you dont have to get a survey done cause im such a sweetheart of a guy. REMEMBER CAVAEAT EMPTOR [let the buyer beware] and buyers remorse .Get a good lawyer [not a local but one that knows real estate and a surveyor you trust and never believe the real estate agent .

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, luberhill said:

Yea it’s all location I guess 

There was 89 acres here of just tillable farm land, sold in a week for 300k

Ya $3500 an acre isn’t bad for AG land , Depending on access , size, shape ,drainage ,soil ,how close it is to the farmer who’s buying it and many other factors .

57 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Thats been pending for 3 months, dont know whats going on with that parcel.

1 hour ago, luberhill said:

It’s about 20 acres , surrounded in three sides by huge corn fields .. nice woods , easy walking ..

Open of where you could build a house/ cabin 

The guy wants 155k ...

Tons of deer sign but man that seems high .. Fingerlakes region

Ton of deer sign now or from deer past?  if others pound those corn fields will you still have deer?  Duck and goose hunters could be your worst nightmare banging them fields every day???

1 hour ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Ton of deer sign now or from deer past?  if others pound those corn fields will you still have deer?  Duck and goose hunters could be your worst nightmare banging them fields every day???

Current tracks and trails thru the snow

8 minutes ago, luberhill said:

Current tracks and trails thru the snow

Be careful of that. Winter yarding stick close to food source.  Check out the big picture of the properties around it that could continue to feed deer to your woods.  Lots of $$ for sure but those 3 corn fields would scare me the most. Two fields and a block of bigger woods would be sweet but one on 3 sides could be dicey.   Could also be just fine, Maybe goose hunting is not big around there. Good Luck!

13 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Be careful of that. Winter yarding stick close to food source.  Check out the big picture of the properties around it that could continue to feed deer to your woods.  Lots of $$ for sure but those 3 corn fields would scare me the most. Two fields and a block of bigger woods would be sweet but one on 3 sides could be dicey.   Could also be just fine, Maybe goose hunting is not big around there. Good Luck!

Yea nobody hunts the fields , the owner has it posted ..

Just remember no matter what deer sign you see, you build and you totally change the deer movement...sometimes to nothing. I dont think I would be all too wild about the corn on the three sides. I think you could easily drive the deer out of your area and they have no where to go...but gone.

I've been in the market and its underwhelming. The per acre prices have gone up alot; and the subsequent tax scenarios make it shockingly expensive. I've noticed the inflation of per acre prices more here than in other markets (which I've been looking at simultaneously for the past year).

I've started looking more in Ohio and also Kentucky, IL, and MO. They used to be more per acre in many cases, but the NY ground is now on par and add in tax implications, much more outlay overall.

Crazy.

Corn on three sides wouldn’t bother me in the least , here’s my spot next year . Yellow C is corn , as those were beans last year and every other year it rotates. The Red ? Is another farm, it’s been hay lately so it’s due for corn soon , below me you can see they alternate strips of crops, much will be corn.

They still use the woods , they’re going to make their rubs and scapes in the woods as well as hit the oaks , go to bedding and look for does there . Sure they can hide in the corn, but they pass through the woods from corn field to corn field too .

Phade what do you mean by tax scenarios ? That rising land prices equal rising taxes ? We haven’t seen that yet ...

7352C80A-BE7D-4BAD-9F28-0C541C6601D3.png

Edited by Nomad

23 hours ago, Nomad said:

Corn on three sides wouldn’t bother me in the least , here’s my spot next year . Yellow C is corn , as those were beans last year and every other year it rotates. The Red ? Is another farm, it’s been hay lately so it’s due for corn soon , below me you can see they alternate strips of crops, much will be corn.

They still use the woods , they’re going to make their rubs and scapes in the woods as well as hit the oaks , go to bedding and look for does there . Sure they can hide in the corn, but they pass through the woods from corn field to corn field too .

Phade what do you mean by tax scenarios ? That rising land prices equal rising taxes ? We haven’t seen that yet ...

7352C80A-BE7D-4BAD-9F28-0C541C6601D3.png

Yes, rising prices = higher taxes.

A property valued and taxed at 100K sells for 125K is now going to be taxed at 125K. Taxes of $3K now go to $4K; obviously pre manipulation/reduction efforts, but when rising land prices are realized in the market the tax implications go up. No different than homes. It may happen immediately or at re-assessment by the jurisdiction. Depends on the specifics and timing of last assessment. Either way, it results in a higher starting point for taxes.

Meanwhile the same parcel in Ohio gets taxed at $800 and the price increase from $100K to $125K now makes it $1,000. Still went up with the increased land price, but only $200 vs. $1,000. Difference of $800 a year.

Edited by phade