Got a drone for Christmas

Steuben Jerry

Wow, great info here Elmo, thanks! Especially the water info. It does have downward sensors.
I did download those two apps but didn’t create an account yet. So far I’ve only flown over the back woods.

Hey what about my assist!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Congrats Jerry! I just saw your drone footage is going viral today

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/11/us/drone-bowling-alley.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Wow seeing that made me nervous! I'm still ultra careful with it cause it's new and unscathed so far. I get a little uneasy 50 feet from a tree, let alone buzzing around inside. That's wild video!

• Like 1

Burnjohn flew fpv drones.  Don't know if he has a regular drone.  WNYBuckhunter also flies a DJI.

The video was shot with a FPV drone.  They rely on an analog signal.  They're also modular so if you crash, it's easier and cheaper to rebuild/replace parts.  Regular drones rely on both WiFi and an internal GPS.  Flying indoors with a regular drone is really hard because the drone is not as responsive and will most likely crash.  I advise not doing it.  FPV drones doesn't have the range that regular drones have and without the GPS, doesn't have the return to home feature.

• 2 weeks later...

Still haven’t been able to fly except for minimal times here and there. Free time and favorable winds haven’t lined up for me much yet. I did take it for a spin in last evening’s calm winds over two of our back fields. I didn’t see them on my screen when I was in the air but on playback on a tablet I noticed this flock of 13 birds heading back to their roosting ridge. Such a cool device!

E9C6C767-BABF-41AB-9FA1-51719EDFE7E1.jpeg

• Like 2

I've always wanted a drone  but could never justify  the money for one . 

I have had a couple  of bad experiences with people intruding  with drones .

I don't know laws and regs but I do know courtesy.

Most recently I was fishing a public river ... public spot . Guy launches a drone and flys it up and down the river for a few minutes drops down to about 6 feet off the water in front of me .. I didn't respond. He proceeded  to fly up and down in front of me 3 or 4 times .. travels down stream proceeds to hover just off the water over my float . Finally I proclaimed in a rather unpleasant tone "Really!" He flew off down stream to pester the next guy . He wasn't as polite  as I was. After shouting alot of 4 letter pleasantries as well as letting him know where he would put the drone if he didn't get away he made a heck of a false cast almost hitting it .

Guy finally landed packed up and left with his kid in tow . When he was a ways up the hill he yelled down thanking  us for ruining his day . I wish I really could have ruined his day with a load of birdshot.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Nytracker said:

I've always wanted a drone  but could never justify  the money for one . 

I have had a couple  of bad experiences with people intruding  with drones .

I don't know laws and regs but I do know courtesy.

Most recently I was fishing a public river ... public spot . Guy launches a drone and flys it up and down the river for a few minutes drops down to about 6 feet off the water in front of me .. I didn't respond. He proceeded  to fly up and down in front of me 3 or 4 times .. travels down stream proceeds to hover just off the water over my float . Finally I proclaimed in a rather unpleasant tone "Really!" He flew off down stream to pester the next guy . He wasn't as polite  as I was. After shouting alot of 4 letter pleasantries as well as letting him know where he would put the drone if he didn't get away he made a heck of a false cast almost hitting it .

Guy finally landed packed up and left with his kid in tow . When he was a ways up the hill he yelled down thanking  us for ruining his day . I wish I really could have ruined his day with a load of birdshot.

I've made up my mind to definitely not be that guy. Heck, just to hover close to somebody like that guy did is a bad move. Those props can do some damage. I don't intend on flying it anywhere in close proximity of people at all. I rather people aren't anywhere around as I don't want to be distracted while operating it.

I realize that they are a great tool and alot of fun . I am not condemning  the drone  nor am I condemning  all operators ...  but this guy was just as annoying  as the guy chasing  you down the lake wake jumping with a jet ski. What made it worse is I fish for peace  and quiet  .. relaxation.... There was cut cornfields all around to fly in .... 

Sounds like the guy was a top notch a hole.

Generally I stay away from people too.  Whole point of drones is to take pictures/videos from angles your normal camera can't get to.  If it's near a person it means you could have gotten there physically yourself.

FYI...technically it is illegal to fly a drone directly above a person but they key word is "directly" so that if it falls out of the sky, it doesn't land on anyone's head.

Had a little butt pucker of a moment this Saturday.  Was flying around, everything is fine and all of a sudden my controller lost connection with the drone, while this has happened to me before when I stretch it to it's limits or fly around where there is interference or obstructions.  During those times, it'll re-establish connection very quickly.  This time, I had good signal, connection just dropped, and wouldn't not reconnect.  It completely dropped the link as if it's a brand new controller or drone that's never been connected before.  Fortunately, I had established a home point prior to flying (perfect lesson and reminder here).  I had to sit around for 20 minutes or so for the battery to run out.  Once the battery went low, the drone returned back to it's home point and landed.  I went home, popped in a fresh battery, and it came up connected as if nothing happened.

119 flights under my belt and that was the first time something like that happened.

After reading up on it, it has happened to some people.  Their advise to to completely power down the controller and power it back up again to re-establish connection which I inadvertently did with I packed up, went home, and checked it at home.

• Like 3