LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

1 minute ago, crappyice said:

How was that walk? Crowded? Difficult? I have been thinking about that one for a while and just never did it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a good amount of cars lined up when I left (1pm). The hike wasn't long at all (a few miles round trip) but it was pretty steep going up.  Not like breakneck but it was steep. Trail was muddy in some spots, buts that’s everywhere now.  Definitely a cool hike.  I will for sure do it again. 

• Like 1

There was a good amount of cars lined up when I left (1pm). The hike wasn't long at all (a few miles round trip) but it was pretty steep going up.  Not like breakneck but it was steep. Trail was muddy in some spots, buts that’s everywhere now.  Definitely a cool hike.  I will for sure do it again. 

No deep woods coffee?

Hung a stand yesterday with my dad and boys. No trimming or accessories but tried out the climbing steps in lieu of ladder sticks and I think I like them. Got a good deal, so I’m pleased

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/muddy-stagger-steps-packable-ladder-system?ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=Shop%7CGeneric%7CAllProducts%7CHigh%7CSSCCatchAll&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3duCBhCAARIsAJeFyPUHlnohJI3KOIksjfGmLk5oetvLnsOAlx7XCcvI8KVM5uNfSuY4LHcaAvC5EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

3e5c70eedce30fc62a58765a5f1e0666.jpg

• Like 10

I just read a post in a topic that is now locked. You guys saying there's nothing to hunt right now need to get your ass in the deer woods. The best time to trim lanes that mimic november is now. That way you don't over trim in the late summer.

Get out and hike and scout now, this weekend was beautiful. Put a smile on my face and no desire to argue dumb things on the internet. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Belo said:

I just read a post in a topic that is now locked. You guys saying there's nothing to hunt right now need to get your ass in the deer woods. The best time to trim lanes that mimic november is now. That way you don't over trim in the late summer.

Get out and hike and scout now, this weekend was beautiful. Put a smile on my face and no desire to argue dumb things on the internet. 

You are right about scouting now and trimming as well which i dont do much of. The rubs from last fall are still very visible and even scrapes and trails are very clear. It is good info to have come fall or better yet late season.

There is still snow in the woods here on the hills,the valleys are snow free.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2021 at 9:42 PM, crappyice said:

How was that walk? Crowded? Difficult? I have been thinking about that one for a while and just never did it.

On 3/20/2021 at 9:46 PM, diplomat019 said:

I, too, would like to do this. let me know next time either of you go.

• Like 2

Heading to Ohio Saturday. Been looking for a NE Ohio opportunity relative to drive time as opposed to SE or central Ohio. Excited to have likely found one - two farms 10 miles apart; one with hills/hollers, and some cattle fenced in on a small chunk. Other flat ag land and a chunk of timber as part of a larger woods. Will make it much easier to get there for hunts on short basis - plus we can keep a camper on site if we want to get all fancy down the road. Looking forward to it and hoping it lays out similar to aerials and contours. 225 acres across both farms with about 55 acres of timber on each.

Fingers crossed.

• Like 5

Heading to Ohio Saturday. Been looking for a NE Ohio opportunity relative to drive time as opposed to SE or central Ohio. Excited to have likely found one - two farms 10 miles apart; one with hills/hollers, and some cattle fenced in on a small chunk. Other flat ag land and a chunk of timber as part of a larger woods. Will make it much easier to get there for hunts on short basis - plus we can keep a camper on site if we want to get all fancy down the road. Looking forward to it and hoping it lays out similar to aerials and contours. 225 acres across both farms with about 55 acres of timber on each.
Fingers crossed.

Sounds awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fingers crossed.
Your gonna have to keep us posted on these adventures....sounds like your going to have fun this fall. Just curious....has your trail cam business opened doors for you gaining access to land in other states?

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

51 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Your gonna have to keep us posted on these adventures....sounds like your going to have fun this fall. Just curious....has your trail cam business opened doors for you gaining access to land in other states?

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

I have the opportunity to materially leverage but I haven't yet. That said, I'm finding I enjoy the reward of being successful in my own right or with my hunting partner. I'm not much for getting access and being placed in a stand that has been scouted/hunted/strategized. I may regret it down the road and my wall might be a little lighter on inches comparatively, but I'm OK with that. What it has done is helped me fund hunting related adventures / future property purchase, etc.

It's a very tough market with low margins but thankfully I have a niche that works well.

Edited by phade
  • Like 3

On 3/29/2021 at 10:11 AM, phade said:

Fingers crossed.

We wrapped up the two farm parcels in NE Ohio. 3:10 to the stand from my house. Got a few turkey on a cell cam yesterday. Certainly alot of Amish presence yet decent enough sign and recent cam pics and harvest proof to offset my concerns in that space (120-140"). Each property is large enough to handle 3-4 gun hunters without issue and possibly as many as five on one of the parcels, so there is plenty of room to spread out. Great owner, too. 

I don't expect it to be Coshocton or Licking Co. but the increased accessibility is going to be nice. Big difference between 3:10 and 5-5:30 drive time. For me, it's the difference between being able to shoot down for an overnight or weekend hunt without missing seat time and work, and sleep.

Edited by phade
  • Like 7

8 minutes ago, phade said:

We wrapped up the two farm parcels in NE Ohio. 3:10 to the stand from my house. Got a few turkey on a cell cam yesterday. Certainly alot of Amish presence yet decent enough sign and recent cam pics and harvest proof to offset my concerns in that space (120-140"). Each property is large enough to handle 3-4 gun hunters without issue and possibly as many as five on one of the parcels, so there is plenty of room to spread out. Great owner, too. 

I don't expect it to be Coshocton or Licking Co. but the increased accessibility is going to be nice. Big difference between 3:10 and 5-5:30 drive time. For me, it's the difference between being able to shoot down for an overnight or weekend hunt without missing seat time and work, and sleep.

Doing your homework has, and will pay off for ya! Sounds like really good parcels, in really good deer country. And not too far from home, so that you can get down there more often. Perfect! Best of luck!

On 3/29/2021 at 9:09 AM, diplomat019 said:

Wekiwa Springs, FL

Did some kayaking and swimming.  Also hit up a natural spring near by for swimming   The natural spring had a underwater cave that was about 30 feet deep where the water was rising out of.  Really cool.

326CDB27-2AA6-449D-A299-880A86101C51.jpeg

C9B85431-DC59-40B0-8A9A-065BB1BAD448.jpeg

8D762083-6C13-4A1C-9E90-11FDD93A5383.jpeg

Your braver than me. I'd be scared of snakes and alligators swimming like that in Florida!

• Like 1

On 3/29/2021 at 9:09 AM, diplomat019 said:

Wekiwa Springs, FL

Did some kayaking and swimming.  Also hit up a natural spring near by for swimming   The natural spring had a underwater cave that was about 30 feet deep where the water was rising out of.  Really cool.

326CDB27-2AA6-449D-A299-880A86101C51.jpeg

C9B85431-DC59-40B0-8A9A-065BB1BAD448.jpeg

8D762083-6C13-4A1C-9E90-11FDD93A5383.jpeg

Not scared that there might be gators?