LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

5 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Isn't tomorrow early season doe for some of you? 

If it is have fun filling your freezers hope to see some pictures in the morning. 

On my way to work tonight seemed like every meadow had deer in them.

Yes, the excitement of the home opener is open us.  I am up already in anticipation.  Trying to decide on my apparel.  I already got the orange hat picked out.  I will see how deep woods off works as a cover scent.  The extra 1/2 hour prior to daylight is cool. 6:20 is "go time" here in wmu 9F.

My new Redfield Revolution scope is damn good in low light conditions, just like the old "illuminators".  Hopefully, I will be cranking it up to 7X and verifying the absence of "spikes" soon (or the presence of buttons).

It is almost like having Christmas twice when I was a little kid.  I always got double the presents anyhow, because I share a birthday with the Big guy.

Being a pure meat guy, this is every bit as exciting to me as the normal November gun opener, maybe even more so, because our freezer is nearly taped out of venison.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I wasn’t going to hunt today anyway but I couldn’t if I wanted to as I haven’t  got my doe permits yet!!!

Head up to Walmart when they open.  I think you can still get 9f's and 9a's over the counter.  I have been seeing more action in the afternoons anyhow.

Edited by wolc123

Step 2 (plug in deer fridge) check.   I heard the compressor kick on so I should be all set if I need it.  It has been almost 4 years since I had to plug it in. 

Even if I dont "need" it today for a fresh doe, i will throw my fish and last 7 packs of old venison, from the big freezer in the basement, into that little one up top so that I can thaw the big one out.

20210911_051752.jpg

20210911_052454.jpg

Edited by wolc123

58 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Head up to Walmart when they open.  I think you can still get 9f's and 9a's over the counter.  I have been seeing more action in the afternoons anyhow.

I’m a 8N (it’s open in this unit) 8H and 9H guy anyway but like I mentioned, I don’t have any interest in shooting one today.  I think it’s a few weeks to early (at a minimum) to orphan fawns and holding out for a dry doe while swatting flies, squishing mosquitoes and keep an eye out for the occasional brown recluse hasn’t tripped my trigger to hunt today or this week.   Plus, I have a birthday party to go to tonight and don’t want to complicate things. 

I’m heading out shortly to monkey with camera cards, replace some lifelines, shoot steel and visit with a couple friends.   

• Like 4

Just had something walk 50 yards 8 min before sunrise. IMO under heavy cover it’s absurdly dark 30 min before sunrise to ever consider shooting!

It’s weird being out this early—and with a gun, no less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Before 11/1??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think plenty from the first draw are available untill the end of September, they crunch the numbers in October, then plenty more are usually available after November 1.

I have not filled one of those 9F dmp's since 2019 (I still have 7 vaccuum packs left in the freezer from that one in fact).  I always get 4 but only used all of them a time or two.

I took a short break, down on the ground, to throw a piss and to level the stand (removed 2x6 blocks from under the front legs).  It is just about perfectly level now.  I broke out my "not so secret" weapon, so maybe the doe action will start soon.

20210911_073502.jpg

20210911_073552.jpg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 3

I think plenty from the first draw are available untill the end of September, they crunch the numbers in October, then plenty more are usually available after November 1.
I have not filled one of those 9F dmp's since 2019 (I still have 7 vaccuum packs left in the freezer from that one in fact).  I always get 4 but only used all of them a time or two.

Right but i already got two from the draw, i dont think i can get another until 11/1 but i will certainly look into it

5 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Right but i already got two from the draw, i dont think i can get another until 11/1 but i will certainly look into it

That is correct.  If you already have 2 (no 9f's or 9a's ?) then you have to wait for 11/1 to try for more.  Someone else may legally transfer up to 2 to you before that though.