LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

It took all of 10 mins to put a doe down tonight. My 3 year old tagged along on his first deer hunt ever and we ended up putting a stalk on this group of does. First deer with the .450 Bushmaster...50yd frontal shot on this big old dry doe. Although we didn't get the early doe season in 8R (thankfully), nuisance permits on your buddy's farm work the same.

20210911_193137.jpg

20210911_193006.jpg

Edited by WNY Bowhunter
  • Like 38

Got it done tonight! One of the weirdest hunts I’ve had. Got in the stand around 4 and boy was it hot. Mosquitoes like never before. My stand is deep in a swamp and the bugs were so thick they were biting me through my shirt. At around 6 I texted my buddy and said I had enough. He said him too so we planned to meet at the ATV trail. When I got there he motioned for me to stop he had a fawn at 20 yards and wanted to see if mamma would follow. She did not. We chatted for a bit and headed for the house. About 40 yards from the wood line I noticed a doe about 50 yards away. She saw me but didn’t seem to mind. I was able to get to about 25 yards by walking at a angle. I took the shot and watched her take off into the high grass by the creek. At this point it was about 15 min after sunset and pretty dark. I kind of regretted taking the shot as now I had to track her. I went over and picked up my arrow. It was covered in pink blood. I walked in the direction I saw her go and found one tiny drop of blood. My buddy started laughing at me looking for blood and said dude she is 3 feet in front of you. She went at total of 25 yards from point of impact just couldn’t see her through the talk grass. Single bevel broadheads do some serious damage.

cff200cbfc2cead8ae0bc5df2da45420.jpg
73e84674f80c094b9eeecb30e9c49934.jpg
62858a6982d1de6326da26c9c54cd0b4.jpg
13a4f64505049ab451833ad124a248a1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 40

Got it done tonight! One of the weirdest hunts I’ve had. Got in the stand around 4 and boy was it hot. Mosquitoes like never before. My stand is deep in a swamp and the bugs were so thick they were biting me through my shirt. At around 6 I texted my buddy and said I had enough. He said him too so we planned to meet at the ATV trail. When I got there he motioned for me to stop he had a fawn at 20 yards and wanted to see if mamma would follow. She did not. We chatted for a bit and headed for the house. About 40 yards from the wood line I noticed a doe about 50 yards away. She saw me but didn’t seem to mind. I was able to get to about 25 yards by walking at a angle. I took the shot and watched her take off into the high grass by the creek. At this point it was about 15 min after sunset and pretty dark. I kind of regretted taking the shot as now I had to track her. I went over and picked up my arrow. It was covered in pink blood. I walked in the direction I saw her go and found one tiny drop of blood. My buddy started laughing at me looking for blood and said dude she is 3 feet in front of you. She went at total of 25 yards from point of impact just couldn’t see her through the talk grass. Single bevel broadheads do some serious damage.

cff200cbfc2cead8ae0bc5df2da45420.jpg
73e84674f80c094b9eeecb30e9c49934.jpg
62858a6982d1de6326da26c9c54cd0b4.jpg
13a4f64505049ab451833ad124a248a1.jpg

New bow christened!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

I told my buddy that if his son killed one Id butcher it for him, well I got the call around 7:30 lol. Turns out he needed help tracking so we get out there and what he thought was first blood was gut. I was very worried as we couldnt find any sign at all and theres a zillion acres of standing corn, but we got on a heavily used trail and sure enough he found blood. A short track later and we had her. He shot her perfectly but quartering to and it exited in front of her hip. We got her to my house and dismantled her in 25 minutes, shes quartered up and in his dads fridge. What a blast!df580b5f7570ce08f37ea29e4d917a27.jpg
71213ebec423c85b03511bf5cd0b82c6.jpg

• Like 28

I told my buddy that if his son killed one Id butcher it for him, well I got the call around 7:30 lol. Turns out he needed help tracking so we get out there and what he thought was first blood was gut. I was very worried as we couldnt find any sign at all and theres a zillion acres of standing corn, but we got on a heavily used trail and sure enough he found blood. A short track later and we had her. He shot her perfectly but quartering to and it exited in front of her hip. We got her to my house and dismantled her in 25 minutes, shes quartered up and in his dads fridge. What a blast!df580b5f7570ce08f37ea29e4d917a27.jpg
71213ebec423c85b03511bf5cd0b82c6.jpg

Congrats to the young man! Glad it was a quick recovery… that is one heck of a exit wound

• Like 1

Congrats chef. 

I am in position in the cupola, 21 minutes before legal shooting.  It is good to see some photos of flat-heads on the ground.  I am still waiting to see my first live one of the season. 

Hopefully, one will show up today.  If not, I will have to do a little of that "after work" weekday hunting for the rest of this week.  The extra half hour (20 minutes of which is usable out in the fields) after sunset will give me some extra prime time.

I will probably have to burn up that 20 minutes driving over to my folks place on the opposite corner of wmu 9f though, because I have yet to see a doe here at home.  I still haven't hit my tin can truck cap blind on the back corner though.  I will try it if we get a cooler or a rainy afternoon later this week.

It sure is windy this morning, but that makes it quite comfortable in the heat, and keeps the bugs away pretty good. 

I will stick it out until about 8:00.  I have to allow time for skinning, quartering and getting in the deer fridge before church at 9:30.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

2 minutes till legal shooting and it is starting to sprinkle a little bit.  If it starts raining hard, I will have to move downstairs.

This new 2-7x Redfield revolution scope makes the whole 30 minutes prior to sunrise useable out on the fields anyhow.  I think it is brighter than one of my old illuminators.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

2 minutes till legal shooting and it is starting to sprinkle a little bit.  If it starts raining hard, I will have to move downstairs.
This new 2-7x Redfield revolution scope makes the whole 30 minutes prior to sunrise useable out on the fields anyhow.  I think it is brighter than one of my old illuminators.

Good luck today my friend

26 minutes ago, Chef said:

Good luck today my friend

Thanks,

Just 15 more minutes till I pull the plug this morning.  The rain is holding off but it is very windy and the skeeters are not too bad.  I have a little more confidence in a doe this evening over at my folks place.

I unplugged the big freezer to let it defrost last night so I got to dry it out and start it back up.  I usually do that every 4 or 5 years.  We have not been this low on meat since October 2016, so it was a good time to do it.

Edited by wolc123

I just got busted by a deer.  I blame it on this damn smart phone and my orange hat.  I was looking at some pictures of our eldest daughters high school graduation, when I heard a snort. 

I looked up and caught the motion of an unidentified deer, at the edge of the field, as it turned and bolted deep into the woods, snorting the whole time.  It was about 40 yards upwind of me. 

No clue if it was a buck or doe but seeing that it was alone, I am guessing buck.  This is just about the time that I saw the 8 point at home yesterday.

I should have learned my lesson on opening day of gun last year up in the northern zone, when the biggest Adirondack buck I ever saw snuck to within 15 yards of me, in the rain and I was reading from this site.  He even gave me a warning by snapping a twig a half second before his head and neck popped up out of the gully.  That gave me time to drop the phone and lift my gun.

There was no warning this time and my gun still rests on the rail.  Lesson learned: in wet conditions, leave phone in pocket and use eyes on perimeter.  I normally rely too much on my ears, but they dont help much when the ground is wet.

Oh well, I got about an hour and a half left.  Maybe a doe will show.  I doubt I will ever see whatever that spooked one was from this comfortable stand again.

This is where it was.  The phone is going in my pocket now, until about 8:00.

20210912_183401.jpg

Edited by wolc123

I love it how some guys see deer every sit and how I can sit in a stand and not see anything a whole season only time I see em is walking. I'm in the Adirondacks so it few and far between. But I try. Wonder why when I hunt walking and always leads off state to private baiting you think it s everywhere. But I can drive down the road and see deer everywhere but Dec says we don't have enough deer. I know alot of guy that switched from hunting in the woods to just sitting in there vehicle step out of the dirt road and fill a tag it's insane. Congrats to all that scored. I don't know if I'll hunt this year Georgia is calling my name as in the state and warmer weather.