LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

11 hours ago, Arcade Hunter said:

Wolc... I think the early antlerless season ends Saturday evening.... No hunting on Sunday.

I made it out for 3 hours last night... tried a different area, more swampy.  Lots of sign in there and heavy runs but I had to get out of there as I was getting destroyed by mosquitos.  Moved to a different area untill the rain really started coming down.  Didnt see a thing

What I saw showed September 11 - September 19 (special 9 day early antlerless season).   If it ended Saturday evening, it would have said September 11 - September 18 (special 8 day early antlerless season).    I will give it until 20 minutes past sunset on Sunday the 19th if necessary (those last 10 minutes are too dark to make 100 % ID of the quarry anyhow).    I am probably going to hit my folks house on Thursday evening and I will leave the old Ithaca 16 gauge over there (if I don't fill the tag Thursday).   Their place is on my way home from where I got to go Saturday morning thru Sunday morning,.  I just got to remember to bring the damn blaze orange hat.   Being able to stop on my way home will give me about 30 more minutes for my last early antlerless season hunt.

One thing I really like about this September early antlerless season is that I have seen deer on every day that I hunted (just none before 6:00 pm).   I did not have a single good shot opportunity at an antlerless deer during all of southern zone crossbow and gun season last year and didn't fill a single dmp.  If the DEC wanted filled dmps, then the early gun season seems to be a good move.

Maybe there were several versions of the rules circulated.  Belo thought he had to wear a blaze orange or pink hat AND vest, whereas what I read said "OR" not "AND".   What I saw was very clearly written on both the ending date and the blaze orange requirements.       

Edited by wolc123

14 hours ago, wolc123 said:

What I saw showed September 11 - September 19 (special 9 day early antlerless season).   If it ended Saturday evening, it would have said September 11 - September 18 (special 8 day early antlerless season).    I will give it until 20 minutes past sunset on Sunday the 19th if necessary (those last 10 minutes are too dark to make 100 % ID of the quarry anyhow).    I am probably going to hit my folks house on Thursday evening and I will leave the old Ithaca 16 gauge over there (if I don't fill the tag Thursday).   Their place is on my way home from where I got to go Saturday morning thru Sunday morning,.  I just got to remember to bring the damn blaze orange hat.   Being able to stop on my way home will give me about 30 more minutes for my last early antlerless season hunt.

One thing I really like about this September early antlerless season is that I have seen deer on every day that I hunted (just none before 6:00 pm).   I did not have a single good shot opportunity at an antlerless deer during all of southern zone crossbow and gun season last year and didn't fill a single dmp.  If the DEC wanted filled dmps, then the early gun season seems to be a good move.

Maybe there were several versions of the rules circulated.  Belo thought he had to wear a blaze orange or pink hat AND vest, whereas what I read said "OR" not "AND".   What I saw was very clearly written on both the ending date and the blaze orange requirements.       

Correct you are!  I dont know why I had the 18th stuck in my head... Anyways, Good luck to you.  Ill be going out on Sunday as well (If I still have a tag by then)  Looking to get out there today later on

No wind at all tonight and no signs of deer yet.  I am only sticking it out till sunset at 7:30.  If nothing shows by then, it will be my first early season afternoon without a deer sighting.

I would stick it out for the last 20 minutes of useful daylight if I saw something or if my Repel tick defense held off the skeeters a little better. 

I am up in the cupola of my 2-story blind.  The next time I hunt it will be opening day of x-bow in November.   There is no corn near here but the adjacent white clover patch by looks good.

Also, the big white oak next to it has more acorns than I have ever seen on it.   They ought to be good and ripe by peak rut time.

2DBF4463-4346-4036-B36A-1579D416CE8D.jpeg

Edited by wolc123

No deer showed up back in the fields.   Some showed up in my freezer when I got back to the house though.  

One of my friends, who raises beef, dropped off about 40 pounds of mostly vacuum sealed venison (about half grind and the rest steaks)  , along with a fresh frozen beef tongue, heart, and liver.

His family prefers beef to venison, but not the “good parts”.  His youngest son loves deer hunting and is pretty good at it.   They must be looking to free up some freezer space for the rest of the Hereford steer they just butchered.

D109E294-108F-4444-BE25-F7EC50658EC2.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 6

So many doe around this year as we knew the population was downnand only took 3 instead of our normal 10..  crazy looking out kitchen window and seeing 11 deer in plot just in front of house... cut doe tags way back here this year so guys will need to use bow ,crossbow or muzzleloader this year to get their meat.  Nephew came over from college and we shot bows this evening.. he did very weĺl 9 of 10 all kill shots one went high. 1st time shooting bow and he'd kill a deer to 25 yards no problem.  Looking forward to him shooting his 1st deer with a bow or gun this year, even though hes killled a bear already on a youth hunt. 

• Like 5

Here we go! Thanks to my Jewish brethren schools closed so Football practice was early. Hitting 3S public that @Biz-R-OWorld shared with me. Service not great so if I don’t post until late, come get me! I’m lost!!!
And do you think I should empty both buck bombs at once or stagger them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, crappyice said:
Here we go! Thanks to my Jewish brethren schools closed so Football practice was early. Hitting 3S public that @Biz-R-OWorld shared with me. Service not great so if I don’t post until late, come get me! I’m lost!!!
And do you think I should empty both buck bombs at once or stagger them?

More elevation changes tonight for you on those < 100 acres than 87% of this forum has experienced in their entire lives in pancake land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

I am keeping the deer fridge plugged in until Sunday night, “just in case” momma doe shows up in the warm weather.

10 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Just watching local news. Weather guy says we have a run of warm weather here now but towards the end of next week a big dip in temperatures looks likely!   

Well once again @Biz-R-OWorld had nothing to do with the harvesting of any does. Hung out at the top of the mountain first after. Then dropped to about mid-level to sit in a ladder off power lines. And finally took a slow walk to the swamp near the parking area. No deer seen but it got the juices flowing.

• Like 2

Well once again @Biz-R-OWorld had nothing to do with the harvesting of any does. Hung out at the top of the mountain first after. Then dropped to about mid-level to sit in a ladder off power lines. And finally took a slow walk to the swamp near the parking area. No deer seen but it got the juices flowing.

We should push one day this season. You and @chef in ladders and I’ll walk across the whole parcel.

• Like 3

I did not see any deer tonight over at my parents .  I will try it again at home tomorrow, then back at their place Sunday evening.   

I don’t think COVID got any of the grey squirrels there, because I certainly heard lots of them tonight.  I did not see any thru all those green leaves though.

I am hoping that most of the leaves will be dow, before my next hunt over there during crossbow season, in early November.   My new blind is quite roomy, so I plan on bringing my pellet gun in addition to my crossbow, to deal with the squirrels.

3 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I am in position, no wind, 73 degrees, a few skeeters.   Time for some bug spray.  Come on out mamma doe.   A4AD0348-4E5F-4130-972E-6C6C03C6F284.jpeg.1bc94245b9a5bd73a72ae59b9e0e7e49.jpeg

That looks like a vintage El Paso Weaver scope on that M37...If it is, I highly approve  !

Back in the day when we had to use shotguns to do a rifle's job, I had  a Weaver K 1.5   and a K   2 .5  on several different guns....Great old scopes  !!   I liked them nearly as much as I like my Leupold  M8  fixed 4 powers....

• Like 1

Did you rattle like we
Discussed?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Pygmy said:

That looks like a vintage El Paso Weaver scope on that M37...If it is, I highly approve  !

Back in the day when we had to use shotguns to do a rifle's job, I had  a Weaver K 1.5   and a K   2 .5  on several different guns....Great old scopes  !!   I liked them nearly as much as I like my Leupold  M8  fixed 4 powers....

Yes, it is a K 1.5 that I bought used and had mounted in 1984.  I imagine it was made in the late 60’s to early 70’s, around the same time as grandpa’s model 37 Ithaca 16 gauge deerslayer.

I have a matching serial number modified choke barrel, in addition to the cylinder bore deerslayer smoothbore barrel for that gun.   I only used that one time, on a grouse hunt with my uncle, when I was 14.  

I shot about 14 times on that hunt, at about a dozen grouse, but never so much as knocked a feather off one of them.  That is why I did not mind having the receiver drilled for the scope mount, which pretty much rendered my modified choke barrel useless to me, and it hasn’t been back on the gun in more than 40 years.

I killed the first deer I shot at with that gun with the open sights (a party permit button buck in Allegheny state park) when I was 16, but missed a mature antlered buck at home with it later that season.  I think buck fever prevented me from bringing up my back sight.

I got the Weaver 1.5 mounted the following summer and that combo has got the job done on every deer I have shot it at since that day.   I mostly stick within its effective range of about 100 yards though, but most have been much closer.

That scope and gun are durable and dependable.  I have hunted with it in all weather conditions including lots of freezing rain.  One time, I dropped it from a stand about 15 feet up, into a couple feet of near freezing water in a ditch.   I wiped it off, cleaned it and oiled, and it never gave me any problems after.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 3

Awesome afternoon hunt yesterday.  Went into a suspected feeding area and I got to watch 5 different deer, even had the hammer back on the first one I saw.  The first one I could clearly see it was a spike at 40 yds, so it got a pass.  Decent size deer too.

The next two that came out of bedding ... one was a real nice buck followed by a large mature doe... They were at least 250 yds out but sure got the blood pumping.

15 minutes later, two SLAMMERS came out of a different bedding area.. they were at least 300 yds and I couldnt count points through the scope but the racks on these two were awesome... Big deer, both of them.  I watched them both for the rest of natural daylight then backed out.  Good intel for OCT bow.

Eaten alive my mosquitos... I dont care if it stinks up the woods, Im bring the deep woods off with me tonight.

Ill leave this feeding area alone and wont return until October.  Going to a different area tonight where Ive seen a lot of does in the past.

Good times!

• Like 9

58 minutes ago, Core said:

Not a thing today yet. Normally bow season on October 1 woods are hopping. Was weak last sat also.

none of my cell cams are super active right now. They popped last week when the temp dipped, but deer just aren't moving right now in 8F. Even doe.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Arcade Hunter said:

Awesome afternoon hunt yesterday.  Went into a suspected feeding area and I got to watch 5 different deer, even had the hammer back on the first one I saw.  The first one I could clearly see it was a spike at 40 yds, so it got a pass.  Decent size deer too.

The next two that came out of bedding ... one was a real nice buck followed by a large mature doe... They were at least 250 yds out but sure got the blood pumping.

15 minutes later, two SLAMMERS came out of a different bedding area.. they were at least 300 yds and I couldnt count points through the scope but the racks on these two were awesome... Big deer, both of them.  I watched them both for the rest of natural daylight then backed out.  Good intel for OCT bow.

Eaten alive my mosquitos... I dont care if it stinks up the woods, Im bring the deep woods off with me tonight.

Ill leave this feeding area alone and wont return until October.  Going to a different area tonight where Ive seen a lot of does in the past.

Good times!

Get a thermacell...Works much better than  liquid or spray repellent... It doesn't help much if you are walking. but  hunting in a staionary area  such as a blind or a treestand, it will absolutely keep the skeeters away...

• Like 2