LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

Awesome afternoon hunt yesterday.  Went into a suspected feeding area and I got to watch 5 different deer, even had the hammer back on the first one I saw.  The first one I could clearly see it was a spike at 40 yds, so it got a pass.  Decent size deer too.
The next two that came out of bedding ... one was a real nice buck followed by a large mature doe... They were at least 250 yds out but sure got the blood pumping.
15 minutes later, two SLAMMERS came out of a different bedding area.. they were at least 300 yds and I couldnt count points through the scope but the racks on these two were awesome... Big deer, both of them.  I watched them both for the rest of natural daylight then backed out.  Good intel for OCT bow.
Eaten alive my mosquitos... I dont care if it stinks up the woods, Im bring the deep woods off with me tonight.
Ill leave this feeding area alone and wont return until October.  Going to a different area tonight where Ive seen a lot of does in the past.
Good times!

I want the call to drag this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

The only action for me tonight was mosquitoes (not as bad as last night), and a gray squirrel climbing up my tree.  A couple things I have noticed, is that I have not seen a deer when there has not been any wind, nor have I seen any after the first hunt from a particular stand.  I am thinking scent buildup might be the problem.  I am going to hope for a little wind, for my last early antlerless hunt on Sunday afternoon, and try a new stand.        

Edited by wolc123

This early season thing was a bust. Very little movement. Maybe too warm. I doubt DEC going to see many tags filled tbh.

I could have had a doe but on two occasions it has one or two babies with it and I couldn’t bring myself to. Was waiting for larger groups :(

This early season thing was a bust. Very little movement. Maybe too warm. I doubt DEC going to see many tags filled tbh.

I could have had a doe but on two occasions it has one or two babies with it and I couldn’t bring myself to. Was waiting for larger groups default_sad.gif

My cams were loaded with movement in 80 degrees temps between 9/11 and 9/19. I’d say most of the state would agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am relaxing my hotel room, up in Alexandria bay right now (up here for my brothers second wedding yesterday), thinking about my next and last early antlerless season southern zone hunt this afternoon.  

I will probably hit the truck stop on my way home and be up in my stand , over at my folks place, around 4 pm.   No deer action at all on my last 3 hunts.  I left the deer fridge plugged in at home, just in case it picks up this afternoon.

I am more looking forward to getting back up north in a few weeks for early ML season and opening weekend of gun.

20534A14-0FB5-429E-B595-05E9A2117140.thumb.jpeg.c778704e4d4a27daa05b98ac8fd6e939.jpeg24CD5EA8-AECB-4DDA-A1A8-49D36BED3118.thumb.jpeg.663757cf46c7b41fdcafc39e5f8644c8.jpeg

• Like 6

I ate a pretty good wild Alaskan salmon dinner at Denny’s, along with half of my wife’s honey roasted chicken sandwich.

It looks like the Bill’s have the fish under control, so I am back out in position ahead of schedule.  I am in my front woods stand, near an old gas well.  I have everything I need to be comfortable. I will give momma doe until 7:46 or so to show up here.  There are lots of nuts on ground.  Hopefully she is hungry for some of those.

3F5B88BC-D086-49A7-92E5-8307F3122F3F.jpeg

74A2317D-87CB-44AC-8A91-15EF57D0BC43.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 3

Its a wrap.... I went to a spot Ive been watching and wanting to go... but I watched the bills game and got there late.  There was already someone in the spot.  About 6:45 he takes one shot and connected.  I watched him drag a medium sized doe out.

Lesson learned.... get out there earlier and the heck with the game, especially a blow out!

I went into the woods when it was 21 to nothing but all I saw was chipmonks.   Way too many leaves in the woods, I should have stuck to the field edge.   

I will be making a grey squirrel hunt over here, prior to opening of crossbow in November, and bring along my pole pruner.   If I remove one branch I would have had a nice shot at momma doe last Sunday.   

On 9/16/2021 at 8:21 PM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

We should push one day this season. You and @chef in ladders and I’ll walk across the whole parcel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We put together a big one in westchester end of season, on private. Ill message you when it gets closer, and ill try to get you in 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, crappyice said:

He doesn’t shoot does so he would be a wasted spot….I, on the other hand…

48 minutes ago, bfahy13 said:

so we can send him to hike 

Exactly. I want to be the pusher. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I ate a pretty good wild Alaskan salmon dinner at Denny’s, along with half of my wife’s honey roasted chicken sandwich.

It looks like the Bill’s have the fish under control, so I am back out in position ahead of schedule.  I am in my front woods stand, near an old gas well.  I have everything I need to be comfortable. I will give momma doe until 7:46 or so to show up here.  There are lots of nuts on ground.  Hopefully she is hungry for some of those.

3F5B88BC-D086-49A7-92E5-8307F3122F3F.jpeg

74A2317D-87CB-44AC-8A91-15EF57D0BC43.jpeg

Digging the Blue Steel. Good luck!

Well got a new gun stand spot , all up and ,mostly cleared today . It’s the red spot, the “ x “ are two spots I’m covering and the circle is a high traffic area  but hard to shoot that close in there due to how high the thick stuff is I’m in .

The farm to the south of me  is cutting corn today . Mixed feelings it’s a few hundred less acres for them to hide in , but it’s a bad sign for having food sources during the season . It’s all beans and corn by me . I’d better take a good buck early in bow while the beans are still here .

B79C8476-28C6-4EB6-A019-7C561AEBD003.png

• Like 3

Up and at em. Got a cup of coffee and working on packing gear. Hope to be on the road by 10. At the farm by 1-1:30. We will set up a stand or two at one farm and decide to hang and hunt or head to the other farm to hunt a few stands we set Labor Day weekend.

In any case we will be in a stand this PM. We are not sure about when we will head into the woods for the afternoon but my guess is 4. Bugs I’m sure will be bad and rain in the forecast. Good news is my rain gear doesn’t let them bugs bite lol.

Most recent image. Not super high expectations today but more or less looking to just learn and observe.

9BC18DA6-405D-448F-8FF4-16DFD26F6197.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1