LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

11 minutes ago, WWJD_Hunter said:

Well finally got to see deer this morning. The bummer was I was on the ground and had a doe and fawn sneak up me. Let the doe go by at what I thought was 20 yards and completely miss her. She jumped and ran and when back to eating, but I was unable to nock another arrow because small buck came and chased the doe away.

9A0377AA-28C5-4158-815E-361BB98C760B.jpeg

19D4275C-747F-4047-83BB-E2CF74ED2428.jpeg

You got her next time.   Better the clean miss.

1 hour ago, WWJD_Hunter said:

Well finally got to see deer this morning. The bummer was I was on the ground and had a doe and fawn sneak up me. Let the doe go by at what I thought was 20 yards and completely miss her. She jumped and ran and when back to eating, but I was unable to nock another arrow because small buck came and chased the doe away.

9A0377AA-28C5-4158-815E-361BB98C760B.jpeg

19D4275C-747F-4047-83BB-E2CF74ED2428.jpeg

nice action FROM THE GROUND

Meant to post this earlier, but was busy with other stuff. I was walking out either saturday or sunday morning this past weekend. I had the bean field to my left and thick cover to my right. I always walk out slow and ready because I've had deer pop out in front of me on several occasions. This time, it was a solo doe. I froze and watched her feed into the beans at about 75 yards quartering away. When her head was down, I managed to sneak to within 20 yds. I drew back and put the pin on her chest and squeezed the trigger and then watched her run back into the cover totally unharmed. I found the arrow and it confirmed a clean miss. 20 yds is a chip shot for me. I brought the bow back and shot another arrow at a target and hit the bull at the same range. The only thing I can think is that the mechanical broadhead opened in flight and changed the flight trajectory. I'm frustrated, but glad for the clean miss rather than an injured deer. Luckily there weren't any other deer around when this happened. I'll give these BH's one more chance. If they fail again I'm switching to fixed blades.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

Meant to post this earlier, but was busy with other stuff. I was walking out either saturday or sunday morning this past weekend. I had the bean field to my left and thick cover to my right. I always walk out slow and ready because I've had deer pop out in front of me on several occasions. This time, it was a solo doe. I froze and watched her feed into the beans at about 75 yards quartering away. When her head was down, I managed to sneak to within 20 yds. I drew back and put the pin on her chest and squeezed the trigger and then watched her run back into the cover totally unharmed. I found the arrow and it confirmed a clean miss. 20 yds is a chip shot for me. I brought the bow back and shot another arrow at a target and hit the bull at the same range. The only thing I can think is that the mechanical broadhead opened in flight and changed the flight trajectory. I'm frustrated, but glad for the clean miss rather than an injured deer. Luckily there weren't any other deer around when this happened. I'll give these BH's one more chance. If they fail again I'm switching to fixed blades.

Sometimes we do everything right and it doesnt connect. I truly believe it was not her time yet. You will get one when its meant to be.

• Like 1

If I thought I pulled the shot, I'd own it. A 20 yard shot at a broadside doe gives me lots to aim at within a well practiced range. I may have blown it, but it's also possible that the blades opened and changed the arrow flight. Prior to taking to the field I was inspecting the broadheads. I recalled thinking that, when they were closed, they seemed really tight and I was afraid that they may fail to deploy if they were that tight. Based on that I worked them back and forth trying to loosen them, and didn't push them 100% closed trying to prevent any failures. Maybe I shouldn't have fiddled with this and should have trusted the equipment.

1 minute ago, Bolt action said:

If I thought I pulled the shot, I'd own it. A 20 yard shot at a broadside doe gives me lots to aim at within a well practiced range. I may have blown it, but it's also possible that the blades opened and changed the arrow flight. Prior to taking to the field I was inspecting the broadheads. I recalled thinking that, when they were closed, they seemed really tight and I was afraid that they may fail to deploy if they were that tight. Based on that I worked them back and forth trying to loosen them, and didn't push them 100% closed trying to prevent any failures. Maybe I shouldn't have fiddled with this and should have trusted the equipment.

@The Jerkman has entered the chat. He loved, now hates, mechanicals

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bolt action said:

So I think something else happened here. a mechanical opening mid-flight is unlikely to make that big a difference at that range. Longer? sure. I can't say i've practiced shooting open mechanicals though. Do you think maybe you hit something being on the ground that you didn't see? Possibly messed up the anchor points shooting from the ground? idk.

• Like 1

@Belo I suppose anything is possible. The shot felt good and rehearsed, but a few things could have played out that resulted in the missed shot. There may have been a small branch that I didn't see, the mechanical could have opened early.. hell maybe I farted and the force of the air pushed my body forward, resulting in a low shot. Next time I get out I won't monkey with the equip ahead of time. 

• Like 3