LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

I have back to back work trips this week and next. Might be the longest stretch I've ever gone with bow and not hunting, but the weather isn't playing along so I'm good with that. I might even put in a new stand this weekend which is something i've never done during the season.

5 minutes ago, Belo said:

I have back to back work trips this week and next. Might be the longest stretch I've ever gone with bow and not hunting, but the weather isn't playing along so I'm good with that. I might even put in a new stand this weekend which is something i've never done during the season.

Send it. I put one up in season last year and have killed five deer out of it

Not sure why one wouldn't move or put up stands in season. We do this often and it usually are the stands we kill out of. Failing to move just seems like crazy talk to me.

My bow buck in 2020 was killed that way on the second sit in it.

• Like 2

That's the main reason I use my climber 90% of the time, I have a pile of hang ons but seldom use them. It's too easy to get lazy with hung stands and sit them for the simple reason of being easier. I'm constantly moving, adjusting, plus it keeps the deer guessing a bit when you're in a different area constantly. Less stand burn out.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 3

3S (Westchester County): 55 degrees, 2mph N winds. Going for a quick hunt before work this morning. 658am sunrise, 628am legal shooting time. Updates will be minimal since I’ll be sitting a folding chair and need to keep my movements limited

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No deer seen left at 830am. Cam had a nice 8pt, and small 6pt & 7pt.
c0f8f24516f12b8c6a59a5abb64999e7.jpg

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, chrisw said:

That's the main reason I use my climber 90% of the time, I have a pile of hang ons but seldom use them. It's too easy to get lazy with hung stands and sit them for the simple reason of being easier. I'm constantly moving, adjusting, plus it keeps the deer guessing a bit when you're in a different area constantly. Less stand burn out.

Couldn't agree more and that is a big reason I got a saddle. The climber I had was a steel model and clocked in at 30# without straps. 

Last year I wanted to never hunt the same tree twice and didnt, I had a great season. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Gentle reminder - pics or it didn’t happen!

Saw one doe this am at 30 yards, could not verify it was not a spike due to fog so I passed. Pic is spike making rub last evening.

7BD802C3-363E-48CB-8217-BE3B649FD9C8.jpeg

Edited by Hock3y24
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, phade said:

Not sure why one wouldn't move or put up stands in season. We do this often and it usually are the stands we kill out of. Failing to move just seems like crazy talk to me.

I agree 100%. Sometimes just a short move of even 50 yards, could be the difference maker.

That said, we are moving two stands, and putting in a hub blind this weekend. To take advantage of new sign popping up on different parts of the property. I fully expect at least one of these moves to pay off BIG time.

• Like 1

IMG_44451.thumb.jpg.3042a92fbde3caf5ae57730a72669b7e.jpg

IMG_44461.thumb.jpg.c95f16cf988a608a021c577d03a64850.jpg

Pictures are kind of blurry from a phone, but you can get an idea of why we are moving a couple of stands.

Not too often you get mature bucks walking during daylight hours. Kinda confirmed what we were thinking, about where he was. And where he was going.

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, grampy said:

I agree 100%. Sometimes just a short move of even 50 yards, could be the difference maker.

That said, we are moving two stands, and putting in a hub blind this weekend. To take advantage of new sign popping up on different parts of the property. I fully expect at least one of these moves to pay off BIG time.

2018 had a tough bow season.  Moved a stand and killed three deer out of it including my best ever.

and that blurry deer ...... looks like a monster!!

• Like 1

4F

Wed scouting saw a giant 8pt that was bedded down and i kicked up

Friday opening day (evening) saw a decent 6pt

Saturday didn't hunt

Sunday PM Hunt nothing

Monday PM hunt, Doe under my stand

Tuesday PM Hunt nice 8pt

Wed PM Hunt anther Big 8pt

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisw said:

Hey is this some king of bullying of my lazy ladder stand hunting!! lol JK

I do enjoy my ladder stands, safe and easy to slip into.  . But I have no hesitance in moving stands during season. It has paid off more than once.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hock3y24 said:

Saw one doe this am at 30 yards, could not verify it was not a spike due to fog so I passed. Pic is spike making rub last evening.

7BD802C3-363E-48CB-8217-BE3B649FD9C8.jpeg

you got a few more days,you are my pick this week as well. I wasn't gonna say anything to keep the pressure of,but it is thursday....

2 hours ago, phade said:

So my situation is odd. I leased property a week before the season which game me access to some areas that i didn't have in the past. 

I guess I pride myself in getting the work done early and leaving the areas alone, that's the why. Of course to your point, like any "game" you need to adjust and to not adjust your stands based on cam data or sign is like continuing to run the ball when it's not working. 

Like I said, I'm doing it, but generally I like to be prepared and low impact. Putting up a stand or 2 can be low impact on a field edge, but could be a little messier if there is long approach trails or cutting. It'll be nice if it rains saturday night like they're saying.

2 hours ago, chrisw said:

I hunted for 2 years out of a climber and I agree that I love their flexibility. They're also a little louder and sweatier, so they're not perfect. They also require a certain type of tree. 

I think when and where you use climbers is significantly impacted by where you hunt. When I used a climber it was a lot of open hardwoods. Where I hunt now is all heavy brush and thick. Sure I could shimmy up a tree, but I'd have no shot without clearing lanes. At the end of the day, I have 36 acres to hunt and right now there's a ground blind and 4 stands. I'm putting in 2 more this weekend and next year will probably add even more. There's also no reason to use a climber when you can install hang ons. Heck I even used a climber last year because it was my first year hunting the property and didn't want to put the effort installing stands when I wasn't sure where the best places would be. Now that I have a better feel, i can be more "permanent".

There are no definitive rules. Do what works best for your situation. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Belo said:

So my situation is odd. I leased property a week before the season which game me access to some areas that i didn't have in the past. 

I guess I pride myself in getting the work done early and leaving the areas alone, that's the why. Of course to your point, like any "game" you need to adjust and to not adjust your stands based on cam data or sign is like continuing to run the ball when it's not working. 

Like I said, I'm doing it, but generally I like to be prepared and low impact. Putting up a stand or 2 can be low impact on a field edge, but could be a little messier if there is long approach trails or cutting. It'll be nice if it rains saturday night like they're saying.

That is the exact recipe for "just out of range" results.

People at work, mostly white collar guys, will come tell me that they saw a big buck just out of range at the same spot several times this week like a badge of honor. When I asked them what happened when they moved in for the kill, they all have the same result. No shot and didn't move. Didn't want to scare the deer.

It's not about high or low impact; it's about the right impact at the right time. Doing all of one and none of the other...well that's just tunnel vision.

• Like 2