LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

yeah worth every penny for the lighter one. I used to hike a mile or more round trip through the national forest in mississippi. It may not seem like much until you've been hiking for a bit, even 20 will take its toll. (i know some military guys are probably laughing at that) haha.

Another reason I went to the saddle setup. I haul maybe 10#,so I can go anywhere I want.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

I moved a stand 15yrds last year and sat it immediately.   Almost killed the 9 I was chasing that day too but he came in as I was walking to the truck (based on cell).  He still came through a few more times after the move, but when I was not hunting. I would roll the dice even on a single parcel and will do so this year if a move is warranted.

So I think it's important to really put into context that "moving a stand" can mean vastly different things. For example, a stand i'm putting in tomorrow will be super simple. Maybe one branch trimmed with a pole saw, a few snips on the ground and i'm done.

A stand I put in the spring included felling a tree with an 18" chainsaw and about 2 hours of lane clearing and trimming, plus the approach trail. 

I agree with both you and phade that we may overthink deer and that moving or putting up a stand if needed shouldn't be avoided, just that not all moves or installs are created equal. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Belo said:

So I think it's important to really put into context that "moving a stand" can mean vastly different things. For example, a stand i'm putting in tomorrow will be super simple. Maybe one branch trimmed with a pole saw, a few snips on the ground and i'm done.

A stand I put in the spring included felling a tree with an 18" chainsaw and about 2 hours of lane clearing and trimming, plus the approach trail. 

I agree with both you and phade that we may overthink deer and that moving or putting up a stand if needed shouldn't be avoided, just that not all moves or installs are created equal. 

when in doubt and when you're finished, just kick over some leaves under a branch and take a piss under. You'll have a buck there in < 12 hours guaranteed

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

I only have 40 acres with probably 20 plus stands, but still not scared to try to put myself in the right position if I need to make a move.  I would be more frustrated watching a buck pass me out of range if knew that I could have moved but didn't.  But to each his own.  I don't find moving a ladder stand too difficult or frankly noisy either.

raise your hand if you've ever moved a stand or sat a different one after being out of range only to be out of range again haha.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Belo said:

raise your hand if you've ever moved a stand or sat a different one after being out of range only to be out of range again haha.

I can say honestly I have never moved a stand only to wish I left it because I could have killed the buck at the prior location.   As far as sitting the wrong stand, I have definitely played whack a mole unsuccessfully for parts of a season.   That’s hunting.   You should do whatever gives you the most confidence in your set.   Good luck!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Belo said:

I have moved stands, only to have the buck I was targeting go right to the original position while I watched!!!

The old Zig - Zag game!  Talk about frustration!!!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mowin said:

First sit of the yr for me and my two grandnephews. 

Both boys are looking for their first bow kill, a mature doe or better.  Kayden's 2nd bow season and Dom's 1st. 

IMG_20211007_155234659.jpg

mature = 1.5? go get em!

10 minutes ago, phade said:

mature = 1.5? go get em!

Yes, 1.5 or older doe.  Although, I'm not overly confident they could tell the difference between that and a fawn if it was by itself, unless they saw spots or buttons. 

I killed my biggest archery NY buck with a stihl pole saw laying under tree, after hanging stand and clearing shooting lanes. I planned on going to a different stand after doing the work but saw 3 deer while the saw was running so I lowered it out of the tree and pulled my bow up.

I agree with fade, I am a very aggressive hunter especially in November!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kayden just texted me that he shot a doe. Said it looked good right to left, but might have hit high.  Then Dom texts me and said he was drawing back on a spike but it spooked.  Going to wait a hr then go look for Kayden's doe.

Edited by mowin
  • Like 18

12 minutes ago, mowin said:

Kayden just texted me that he shot a doe. Said it looked good right to left, but might have hit high.  Then Dom texts me and said he was drawing back on a spike but it spooked.  Going to wait a hr then go look for Kayden's doe.

Experience is the best teacher. Should be a fun night.

• Like 3

I am about in the middle on the stand move thing and willing to experiment.   My climber days are behind me now, but I know they can be effective.   On more than one occasion, in my younger days,  I had mature bucks come in to investigate, just minutes after I reached altitude in my home-made climber (Baker copy). The sound of a young whippersnapper climbing with that must have been similar to two bucks locking horns or something.  Finding the right tree in the right spot was the biggest problem with that.

The key for me now, seems to be minimizing usage of a particular stand.  The first hunt of the year, from any of them, is usually the best.   I have scored on three consecutive years from my gun opener hang-on, but I don’t hunt it prior to that day.

I have good confidence in the short ladder stand that I placed  last weekend.  I trimmed some good shooting lanes from it, but I won’t go back there until early November peak rut time.

I have one hang on in reserve.  I may experiment with the “just on time” deal with that this season, depending on my observations, and if I have any tags left after my 10 day trip to the Northern zone next week, and sticking with the “old reliables” and my 3 new stand locations at home for a while this season.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

Send it. I put one up in season last year and have killed five deer out of it

Yup I’ve got a buck on cam every other day or say within a hour of either side of sunrise. I will
Be hanging a stand over that camera this weekend

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I got dressed, walked out to the truck and thought better of it. 60° and a not great wind. Im trying to be patient, theres a lot of season left. I dont see decent weather to hunt in the forecast, what a crazy October

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Deer have to eat ,move , and look  for others regardless of the weather.. our comfort of " hunting weather" is  of no  concern to them.... but at least most hunters stay home so deer remain unprepared and patterenable

• Like 3

I hope the warm weather holds off the peak fall foliage up north until I head up next Friday.   Ideally, those pretty leaves will last through most of the early ML week and the first good snow will hit just prior to the following Saturday, for opening weekend of gun season.

I can’t make up my mind which is better up there, as far as the scenery goes (peak fall foliage or first snow), but the hunting is at least 10x easier with the snow.  

Sitting this am with my son. He’s on top of mountain in a tree stand in the middle of a bunch of oaks. I’m in stand bordering a farm pasture. Colors are not peak yet still some green. First sit of year. Warm and no breeze at all. Happy to be out!

• Like 7