LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

Good rain gear was the first thing I packed for hunting next week up north.  Maybe I will put on my new chest waders, goretex jacket, electric tape over the muzzle of my stainless steel inline, and still hunt in the morning Saturday.   

Back to the house for some hot soup with the inlaws, then out to the pop up blind until 1/2 hour past sunset.  Sounds like a good plan for this meathunter.

If I could gun hunt I’d be doing the same thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, grampy said:

My Man!!    :good:

Too many just wing shots, hoping for the best. I've seen it all while tracking for Deer Search. Enough can go wrong on a good shot opportunity, much less risking a poor one. If it ain't right, I ain't shooting. Would rather let them walk, than take an iffy shot ! Sometimes, just minutes, or seconds later, the deer will offer a much better shot? If not, perhaps another day.

As hunters and sportsmen, we owe it to the game we hunt. To know our own limitations, and make that shot the best that we possibly can.

My remark was 100% joking 

Live from the driveway. Heading out to pick up fish fry for dinner I had to stop halfway down the driveway for five deer in the driveway. Waited till they cleared and headed on down. Wouldn’t you know it, the sixth one launches itself out of the brush and into the side of my truck. Luckily, we were both going pretty slowly so no damage to either one. Pick up the fish fry and come back home and all six are spread out across the driveway. Two nice big doe that I wouldn’t hesitate to take, just not with the truck!

13 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

It’s official, since sept 27th I have golfed more times than I’ve hunted. I’ve killed plenty of deer in warm weather but I simply don’t enjoy it. After today I think the clubs are going away by the looks of the long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have played a few rounds thru the years, but never developed much like for it.   If just seems liked too much wasted energy and money, with no free food, if you are successful. My favorite thing about it, is that it keeps folks off the waterways and away from the boat launches.

Looking like our trip will be cut short do to weather.  Calling for severe storms here all day tomorrow. So we picked up camp tonight just in case we need to get out of here in a hurry tomorrow. No deer were taken but plenty of laughs and lessons learned.  We are planning on coming back down during their opening day of rifle and already talking about next year and what we can do different. 

• Like 9

54 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Looking like our trip will be cut short do to weather.  Calling for severe storms here all day tomorrow. So we picked up camp tonight just in case we need to get out of here in a hurry tomorrow. No deer were taken but plenty of laughs and lessons learned.  We are planning on coming back down during their opening day of rifle and already talking about next year and what we can do different. 

Sounds like you had a blast. I've been enjoying your post about camp. 

1 hour ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Glad you had a good time.  Not always about the deer taken but the laughs and the memories!!

• Like 3

On 10/14/2021 at 5:21 PM, Swamp_bucks said:

View of the night. Have q heavy rub line and scrape on the left side along the swamp a big CRP field that the buck came out of this morning. I'm in a red oak and I have apples all around. The grass has clover and 300 yards out in front is another swamp I'm keeping an eye to see if anything comes out.  I had a fawn come in while I was setting up and bust me but just bounded across the road which is 50yarde away.

20211014_171514.jpg

Probably 5 bucks watching you right now. Thats what they do there.  Lay there and watch you till it gets dark lol 

13 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Good luck to those out and keep an eye on the sky and the weather.  Just watching news and a tornado warning for Seneca county.  Crazy stuff. 

I am def sitting out today. It's 70 here at 5:30am. That swamp I hunt won't be friendly with mosquitos and rain and storms on the way.

Now it's Cayuga, Seneca and Tompkins co too.