LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

This effin sucks.....lake effect all damn day by the looks of it.  Landowner texted me last night that deer were in the field last night looking for us.  Course it was pouring rain and 20 mph winds.  Was thinking groundblind but if I have to track one where we hunt it's Soo thick rain just isn't the best idea.  Sucks. Good luck to all out.  

Screenshot_20211017-050322.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

This effin sucks.....lake effect all damn day by the looks of it.  Landowner texted me last night that deer were in the field last night looking for us.  Course it was pouring rain and 20 mph winds.  Was thinking groundblind but if I have to track one where we hunt it's Soo thick rain just isn't the best idea.  Sucks. Good luck to all out.  
Screenshot_20211017-050322.thumb.png.0820eedadb429494de4eccaa52fb3a07.png

I can be there by 5(after crew regatta and long drive) to help you track! Get out there and get me points!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I can be there by 5(after crew regatta and long drive) to help you track! Get out there and get me points!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's def killing me.  Been up since 4:15.  It's rained the whole time. I have a groundblind spot but it's rained so much the ditch to get to it will for sure be over the boots deep.  Wanted to get out even to pull the cam there but not hunting in downpours.  Next time out for me will be Tues night after work and I have wed off.  Tacks picked right when he picked the deer this week! 

This is the least I have hunted by this time in the season in years.

Screenshot_20211017-060153.png

Edited by Robhuntandfish

12 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

It's def killing me.  Been up since 4:15.  It's rained the whole time. I have a groundblind spot but it's rained so much the ditch to get to it will for sure be over the boots deep.  Wanted to get out even to pull the cam there but not hunting in downpours.  Next time out for me will be Tues night after work and I have wed off.  Tacks picked right when he picked the deer this week! 

This is the least I have hunted by this time in the season in years.

Screenshot_20211017-060153.png

Lots of season left Rob you will get your share of hunts. I am in the same boat though, least time hunted as of yet. I will try to make up for it though, haha.

• Like 1

Just now, BowmanMike said:

Lots of season left Rob you will get your share of hunts. I am in the same boat though, least time hunted as of yet. I will try to make up for it though, haha.

The good thing is I planned on hunting less early this year, maybe not this less, but I have a ton of time off coming starting next weekend! 

Hopefully we can make up for it with a big buck each in the rut! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, FLXmatt said:

Just came from tracking for four hours.  Did not find the buck yet.  Good bright red blood for a hundred yards, then a clot but no I don’t believe he bedded down.  Blood slowed to a trickle as he cross the mowed field, stopped all together 50 yards from entering the next wood lot. Overall he covered about 350yards.  I’ll speak with some neighbors first thing and start there in the morning.  Thankful to have friends and family lend a hand tonight.

Good luck to all in the morning.

Sounds like the arrow may have passed thru the thick back strap area above the spine and behind the shoulder if the shot “looked high”. Many people believe in a mythical place below the spine where an arrow can pass, but the reality is, any hit below the spine is fatal because the lungs go all the way up to it.   

The back straps are thick above the spine, just behind the shoulder.  Deer often duck at the sound of release, resulting in a non-fatal hit thru that area with an arrow.    A bullet thru that space will usually deliver enough shock to paralyze the back legs, but an arrow kills by cutting and bleeding, so your odds of recovery are not all that great.

The deer has a pretty good chance of recovery if that’s where your arrow hit.  I killed a similar basket 8 a few years back, on opening day of gun season, that had been struck there previously with a mechanical broadhead.  I found that and a short piece of shaft under the hide on the exit side.  

That buck was on the trail of a doe, which I had dropped about 2 minutes before he showed up at her dead body, soon to be laying dead right next to her.  I ended up trimming out a little bit of “questionable” looking meat around the arrow wound, but I think his odds of a complete recovery would have been good had he not showed up in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Any how, I hope you find him but don’t sweat it either way, that crap happens, and that’s why they call it hunting and not killing.   If you get another chance, aim low for the heart.

• Like 4

Quiet and cool start here in 7f this morning.  After yesterday when I built an ark and tried to convince two deer to come aboard and failed.  Back to the drawing board making in game adjustments.  Duckers have already opened with an opening minute salvo so maybe that will move some. 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Sounds like the arrow may have passed thru the thick back strap area above the spine and behind the shoulder if the shot “looked high”. Many people believe in a mythical place below the spine where an arrow can pass, but the reality is, any hit below the spine is fatal because the lungs go all the way up to it.   

The back straps are thick above the spine, just behind the shoulder.  Deer often duck at the sound of release, resulting in a non-fatal hit thru that area with an arrow.    A bullet thru that space will usually deliver enough shock to paralyze the back legs, but an arrow kills by cutting and bleeding, so your odds of recovery are not all that great.

The deer has a pretty good chance of recovery if that’s where your arrow hit.  I killed a similar basket 8 a few years back, on opening day of gun season, that had been struck there previously with a mechanical broadhead.  I found that and a short piece of shaft under the hide on the exit side.  

That buck was on the trail of a doe, which I had dropped about 2 minutes before he showed up at her dead body, soon to be laying dead right next to her.  I ended up trimming out a little bit of “questionable” looking meat around the arrow wound, but I think his odds of a complete recovery would have been good had he not showed up in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Any how, I hope you find him but don’t sweat it either way, that crap happens, and that’s why they call it hunting and not killing.   If you get another chance, aim low for the heart.

Thanks, Wolc!  I appreciate you taking the time to write all of that.  I’m fearful that the arrow hit exactly where you described.

• Like 1

Looking forward to getting out this afternoon. High in the upper 50's with a light west wind. Nephew's and I are moving two stands around noon. I've often had good luck sitting a newly placed stand, so fingers crossed. 

Good luck all..

• Like 1

It sure is a beautiful, cool crisp morning up here on the NW corner of the 6.5 million acre Adirondack park.  I can see a little lake at the bottom of the ridge over my right shoulder and there are two grouse foraging in the leaves up over my left.  

Most of the leaves are down, making for decent visibility in these young hardwoods.  Hopefully a deer or bear will make an appearance soon.  I am about to pour my first cup of hot cider.  Maybe that aroma will help draw one in.

69352BB5-5CE3-402B-9477-E3E1FCA36B08.jpeg

6F64B38C-BA75-4813-A889-AD8B641363F8.jpeg

DE0CEB09-5716-4C8A-AFD5-3F27759FD023.jpeg

• Like 5