LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

Is it still as a Wolc special even if I didn’t harvest the oysters or take a chest girth measurement??? 

First deer from the new climber.  Setting up in the acorns within range of the field edge worked out last night.    And the best part… I skipped this mornings hunt and slept in!  Sorry @Lomax!  

7CAC1925-FE30-4013-8DC8-D603E7ED3569.jpeg

92A894DB-12E1-4F9C-8D95-6893D7C91519.jpeg

271A7785-DCDA-432C-8E19-6D1D64E6238B.jpeg

EACF59B0-640D-4632-BD15-FA8504741E37.jpeg

• Like 28
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, johnplav said:

Is it still as a Wolc special even if I didn’t harvest the oysters or take a chest girth measurement??? 

First deer from the new climber.  Setting up in the acorns within range of the field edge worked out last night.    And the best part… I skipped this mornings hunt and slept in!  Sorry @Lomax!  

congrats!  Nice meat! 

this has got me fired up. Need to be in a tree!  

• Like 1

Last 15 minutes of stand time last night was a big ramp up in activity. This spot had about 5-6 acres of thick bedding brush hogged that bordered us this off season and we suspected a decrease in daylight visits to the food source was due to bedding being done further away. 

I had a 2 year old come by at 10 yards inside the timber and my partner had what appeared to be a good buck working a scrape on the other side of a brush line only 30 yard away from him. Wind switch with a single gust and he got scented.

One of our shooters however, did give up a tell, as my partner saw him across the field only 75 yards from me, but I couldn't see the buck due to the lay of the field edge. Where the buck entered the field confirmed he is bedding in a hedge row that is about 20 yards wide and close to some houses. Thankfully we have a prehung near there that I am going to try to sit tonight with perfect wind and access. His field entry was about 45 yards away so I'll need to be ready.

New 2 and 3 yr old bucks are showing up on cams in past 48 hours in nearly every property we hunt. Signs of the times. Still at dark, but they seem to be moving a bit more.

Edited by phade
  • Like 6

15 minutes ago, phade said:

Last 15 minutes of stand time last night was a big ramp up in activity. This spot had about 5-6 acres of thick bedding brush hogged that bordered us this off season and we suspected a decrease in daylight visits to the food source was due to bedding being done further away. 

I had a 2 year old come by at 10 yards inside the timber and my partner had what appeared to be a good buck working a scrape on the other side of a brush line only 30 yard away from him. Wind switch with a single gust and he got scented.

One of our shooters however, did give up a tell, as my partner saw him across the field only 75 yards from me, but I couldn't see the buck due to the lay of the field edge. Where the buck entered the field confirmed he is bedding in a hedge row that is about 20 yards wide and close to some houses. Thankfully we have a prehung near there that I am going to try to sit tonight with perfect wind and access. His field entry was about 45 yards away so I'll need to be ready.

New 2 and 3 yr old bucks are showing up on cams in past 48 hours in nearly every property we hunt. Signs of the times. Still at dark, but they seem to be moving a bit more.

Chess Match!

1 hour ago, johnplav said:

Congrats good practice for the big buck your gonna bag this week.  Yup out of the bullpen on the mound it’s the big show now. 

Friday evening I am hunting over a large winter rye field and about 6:pm I can hear the thunder movivn in and its just starting to rain, so I decided to leave and as I stood up I see a nice buck out in the field feeding all the way over in the other end... Noted!  I know where Ill be going for Sunday evening as I already know I cant get out on Saturday.

Sunday evening I am making the trek in towards the field and as I get close all I can hear is a guy yelling at the top of his lungs over and over ... he is on the other end of the field where I want to be.

My plan is squashed so I decided to hunt the opposite corner and I get in and set up.  As time goes on the guy is moving my way yelling and whistling for his dog, it is obvious that he is pheasant hunting and his dog took off.  He passes by me yelling for the dog constantly but it looks like he is heading out, giving up on looking for the dog.

I have an hour left so I decided to hang around in hopes something get bumped into the field through the corner I am sitting in.   And then the wind kicked up and the lake effect rain came... needless to say I tapped out and got totally soaked on the walk back to the truck.  Totally ruined hunt.  I thought you had to have control of you dog ?

The guy got to within 20 feet of me and never knew I was there

lost dog.jpg

• Sad 2

Having grown up in dog running country, he goal is always to have command and control of your dogs. Some hunters claim ignorance, but some genuinely have dogs that lose their wits from time to time being so hot on trails.

Each club had a box pen at the front of the driveway for dogs found that belonged to other runners. I remember picking one walker up that was 3.5 miles away. Dumb dog from time to time but when he was hot on buck he was the first one following that buck every time.

Moral of story, sometimes dogs do crazy stuff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johnplav said:

As long as it had nuts and you saved the liver it counts.  If the liver was left in the woods for the vermin, that would be tragic.

47 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

As long as it had nuts and you saved the liver it counts.  If the liver was left in the woods for the vermin, that would be tragic.

The liver is in the cooler now, ready to head home.  It’s gonna be lightly sautéed up tonight then put on sandwiches with bacon and onions. 

Edited by johnplav
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, phade said:

Having grown up in dog running country, he goal is always to have command and control of your dogs. Some hunters claim ignorance, but some genuinely have dogs that lose their wits from time to time being so hot on trails.

Each club had a box pen at the front of the driveway for dogs found that belonged to other runners. I remember picking one walker up that was 3.5 miles away. Dumb dog from time to time but when he was hot on buck he was the first one following that buck every time.

Moral of story, sometimes dogs do crazy stuff.

Im not pizzed or anything like that, Im on public and everyone has a right to be there... this was just not exactly how I thought my hunt would go.  I have see some bizzare stuff happen on public for sure.

Just now, johnplav said:

The liver is in the cooler now, ready to head home.  It’s gonna be lightly sautéed up tonight with then put on sandwiches with bacon and onions. 

Awesome and you won’t regret saving that.  I brought a couple packs of baby beef liver up to the in-laws with me this week.  My mother in law says she will cook it for us and I can’t wait, but that don’t taste quite as good as bb liver.

1 minute ago, Arcade Hunter said:

Im not pizzed or anything like that, Im on public and everyone has a right to be there... this was just not exactly how I thought my hunt would go.  I have see some bizzare stuff happen on public for sure.

When we ran across upland bird hunters we'd always let them know we were there and ask if they saw any deer - sometimes bird dog hunters are simply that and don't get into deer and will let you know where and what they saw.

• Like 1

Happy with the increased trail cam activity over the last 2-3 nights! Bucks have really been on their feet and showing up in different areas. Unfortunately, 95% of pics have been under the cover of darkness. Sometimes within just 15-20min of daylight though, so we're getting there! Most times, the bucks are alone, but am seeing 3-4 bucks traveling together too. No bucks with does, trailing behind does, or showing any interest yet. No scrapes, nor are they showing any interest in my mock scrapes yet.

• Like 2

Hunted until 9:30a this morning before I headed into work. Was hoping the coldest morning of the year would lead to more movement, but it wasn't to be. One new rub popped up since I was last at this morning's set.

Checked 3 Cams on the way out, finally have a couple respectable bucks showing themselves (night activity), will try again tomorrow AM.

Well I ignored my alarm again this morning. That makes me 1 for 3 on planned morning sits. Honestly, the wind was right but still a little early and windier than I'd like. Bills game tonight, busy day and on the road and felt like rest was a better idea.

The stand I planned to hunt never sent me any pics on the upper, busier runs so that's good. But most of my other cams popped with smaller bucks and doe. Some of my old school cams are showing movement but still all at night.

Today's annoyance is the browning cell cam I sent back with $20 shipping was supposed to come back Friday, then Sunday and now just says pending somewhere on the fedex tracker. What a cluster this has been. Last time I had this, the package was lost all together...

Edited by Belo