LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

1 hour ago, phade said:

When we ran across upland bird hunters we'd always let them know we were there and ask if they saw any deer - sometimes bird dog hunters are simply that and don't get into deer and will let you know where and what they saw.

Twice now Ive had the bird dog come right up to me to say hello.. I didnt mind that whatsoever. 

Im itchy to try the stratagy that I was planning for last night but we may have severe weather (hail and wind and rain) by the time I can get out of work today.  Im not aware of where this buck was bedded so yesterdays mishap may have had no impact at all.  The buck showed up right at sunset the other night, so he may have traveled a little ways to get to the field

• Like 1

Well I ignored my alarm again this morning. That makes me 1 for 3 on planned morning sits. Honestly, the wind was right but still a little early and windier than I'd like. Bills game tonight, busy day and on the road and felt like rest was a better idea.
The stand I planned to hunt never sent me any pics on the upper, busier runs so that's good. But most of my other cams popped with smaller bucks and doe. Some of my old school cams are showing movement but still all at night.
Today's annoyance is the browning cell cam I sent back with $20 shipping was supposed to come back Friday, then Sunday and now just says pending somewhere on the fedex tracker. What a cluster this has been. Last time I had this, the package was lost all together...

I ignored mine as well and am kicking my self for it, had a beautiful 8 pass by the stand I wanted to sit at around 7. The sad part is the wife woke up with my alarm and told me I would regret going back to sleep.

Boy was she right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Chef said:

I ignored mine as well and am kicking my self for it, had a beautiful 8 pass by the stand I wanted to sit at around 7. The sad part is the wife woke up with my alarm and told me I would regret going back to sleep.

Boy was she right

who taught you that move, @The Jerkman ?

• Like 2

So in the daylight I found some body damage , the A post has a five inch long dent with paint cracked and peeling off.

This deer hit the truck at the apex of a jump ! I thought he was coming through windshield , but up and over he went . The glass case is where he landed on bed cover and you can see mud on rear window .

Im ok with that damage , I thought the whole side and possibly front was toast .

209F57FF-8C7B-45C2-895D-20C9A5605830.jpeg

1AC84A97-592D-4276-BDCA-E3F2F20FD88C.jpeg

Edited by Nomad
  • Sad 2

I went for another scout/still hunt between showers today. I came up on a hill top that had tons of rubs last year,it is somewhat open with lots of blackberry bushes. On my way a spike walk past me at 25 yds without seeing me,he must have had an appointment.

On the top of the hill I slowed way way down and spotted a doe working towards me. Trouble was the wind,as I was close to the top of the hill it kept dragging around the hill carrying my scent to her before she got in range. It was interesting to watch, she got nervous but only got the wind occasionally. Then I saw two more does behind her. They turned around and walked away slowly. I waited and after a while I followed. I found them not 200 yds from where they turned around,bedded down. I thought I had a chance to crawl within range as there was a slight rise between us.

I crawled for 30 yds and really liked my chances when the wind swirled again and they stood up. There were actually 4 of them,bedded on the leeward side of the hill. They didn't bolt but I couldn't do much with 4 sets of eyes trying to find the source of the smell. They wandered off eventually. 

That was a ton of fun though.

I learned a crosswind is an iffy thing to rely on,but if I was straight downwind they would have seen me coming. 

29 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

I went for another scout/still hunt between showers today. I came up on a hill top that had tons of rubs last year,it is somewhat open with lots of blackberry bushes. On my way a spike walk past me at 25 yds without seeing me,he must have had an appointment.

On the top of the hill I slowed way way down and spotted a doe working towards me. Trouble was the wind,as I was close to the top of the hill it kept dragging around the hill carrying my scent to her before she got in range. It was interesting to watch, she got nervous but only got the wind occasionally. Then I saw two more does behind her. They turned around and walked away slowly. I waited and after a while I followed. I found them not 200 yds from where they turned around,bedded down. I thought I had a chance to crawl within range as there was a slight rise between us.

I crawled for 30 yds and really liked my chances when the wind swirled again and they stood up. There were actually 4 of them,bedded on the leeward side of the hill. They didn't bolt but I couldn't do much with 4 sets of eyes trying to find the source of the smell. They wandered off eventually. 

That was a ton of fun though.

I learned a crosswind is an iffy thing to rely on,but if I was straight downwind they would have seen me coming. 

spot & stalk!

• Like 1

All set up for the afternoon.  Sitting between some thick bedding  bordered by a road and some power lines with a bunch of weeds under them.  Quite a few acorns on the ground.  Haven’t sat this spot yet this year.  Saw a spike last night at other end of this patch right at sunset.  First deer I’ve seen all year that wasn’t laying on the side of the road.  Hoping for a good evening!   The pheasant hunters seem to be doing ok though!!

13 minutes ago, TheHornHunter said:

Hunting from the ground on public land tonight. I didn’t have time to get to my hunting land so I went pulling cards from some places closer to home and found some good sign that I’m now hunting. Wind isn’t ideal but only option here unfortunately

c44be863aed0178d942346a849ace03c.jpg

from the ground!

• Like 1

Just now, Biz-R-OWorld said:

how far is he right now?

285 but cut into hillside after does.  His MO is to harass a group of does and then MoveOn when they aren’t receptive. Since this weekend the camera show he has been moving day and night especially today in the cold I think tomorrow morning could be epic.  

• Like 1