LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

My son and I have talked about whether we would shoot the piebald 8pt that's hanging around the property, if given the opportunity. Personally, I have decided not to, just because he's so cool, unique, and doesn't have the biggest rack anyways. Don't get me wrong, he's a dandy, but I think I'd have remorse after shooting him. Plus, I'd rather have someone shoot him that would mount him, which I have no desire to. My son has said that he would shoot and mount him, so I was hoping he would get an opportunity this season. Tonight, he texts me and said "Piebald!!". A few minutes later, I get a notification that I have a new pic from the cam by the stand he's in! I rushed to open the pic and saw the piebald passing 12 yards from the stand my son was in!!! OMFG!!! I was only ~80 yards away and was waiting to hear crashing, but it never happened.?.? He texted me a few min later and said he was waiting for it to clear the area, before he climbed down, so he wouldn't spook it. I was puzzled?? When he approached me, I was stunned that he didn't shoot it, being it was a slam dunk at 12 yards!! I asked him what happened? He said, "Dad, it was so cool looking, being ~80% white, and I couldn't do it"! He hung his bow up and pulled out his phone to take a video of it instead!! I would have been happy for him, regardless of what he did, but I'm sure proud of him for deciding for himself that some things are more important than bragging rights. We hunt a private farm that my property adjoins, and no one else has permission to hunt it, so if this buck sticks to this area, he could easily see another year or two if he plays his cards right. BTW, No, it was not as dark as it appears in the pic!! The stand in the background is an ancient rickety old wooden ladder stand. Must have been put there for good reason!

3-CC404-FE-0188-40-D8-8-DF7-56807632-B09

Edited by Cabin Fever
  • Like 17

My son and I have talked about whether we would shoot the piebald 8pt that's hanging around the property, if given the opportunity. Personally, I have decided not to, just because he's so cool, unique, and doesn't have the biggest rack anyways. Don't get me wrong, he's a dandy, but I think I'd have remorse after shooting him. Plus, I'd rather have someone shoot him that would mount him, which I have no desire to. My son has said that he would shoot and mount him, so I was hoping he would get an opportunity this season. Tonight, he texts me and said "Piebald!!". A few minutes later, I get a notification that I have a new pic from the cam by the stand he's in! I rushed to open the pic and saw the piebald passing 12 yards from the stand my son was in!!! OMFG!!! I was only ~80 yards away and was waiting to hear crashing, but it never happened.?.? He texted me a few min later and said he was waiting for it to clear the area, before he climbed down, so he wouldn't spook it. I was puzzled?? When he approached me, I was stunned that he didn't shoot it, being it was a slam dunk at 12 yards!! I asked him what happened? He said, "Dad, it was so cool looking, being ~80% white, and I couldn't do it"! He hung his bow up and pulled out his phone to take a video of it instead!! I would have been happy for him, regardless of what he did, but I'm sure proud of him for deciding for himself that some things are more important than bragging rights. We hunt a private farm that my property adjoins, and no one else has permission to hunt it, so if this buck sticks to this area, he could easily see another year or two if he plays his cards right. BTW, No, it was not as dark as it appears in the pic!! 
3-CC404-FE-0188-40-D8-8-DF7-56807632-B094.jpg

You’re son is nuts! That’s a once in a lifetime buck and is he in that ladder stand behind the buck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, E J said:

5 shooters???!!! What kind of preserve is this guy hunting?

It's 3 properties that back up to a river with business in front then a main road and agg on the other side of the river. Almost 100acres and nobody has hunted it in years. Just stumbled into the right situation. But he has 1 massive 8,2 10s 1 wide 1 narrow and 2 identical 8s that 8 very tall.  The big 8 and two tall 8s were in the field today.  Also anything 80inch and up is a shooter for us.

• Like 1

Played chess with a W-I-D-E 8 pt . He was coming in slow playing with limbs and such , he’d needed to come another 15 yards for a open broadside chip shot . I’m relaxed calm, bow up ready, then he turned 90 degrees and took another mowed path directly away from me .

Bumped another buck on my walk out , and Joe had one grunting all around him .

Was going to go in the AM but now I’m getting repair estimates, and an item just came back in stock I want to buy but have to go to the bank and have them wire the money .

next hunt maybe Friday ? 

• Like 2

I didn't join picks and points cuz I'm a meathunter not horns. My 3 point ain't helping any lol. Lucky I get to see a buck just happy for the meat. I wish I could sit in a tree stand and pass up deer that would be crazy cool. But I do get to harvest deer earlier then anyone else when I get called for nuisance deer harvest dead of summer.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, boo711 said:

All set up for the afternoon.  Sitting between some thick bedding  bordered by a road and some power lines with a bunch of weeds under them.  Quite a few acorns on the ground.  Haven’t sat this spot yet this year.  Saw a spike last night at other end of this patch right at sunset.  First deer I’ve seen all year that wasn’t laying on the side of the road.  Hoping for a good evening!   The pheasant hunters seem to be doing ok though!!

Let the arrow fly today.  Think the hit was high.  Tracked until dark.  Heading back out in the morning.  Going to be a long night.

• Like 3

Let the arrow fly today.  Think the hit was high.  Tracked until dark.  Heading back out in the morning.  Going to be a long night.
No fear of yotes in your area?? Grab a bite to eat....watch some Monday night football and head out around 1 or so.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Made the hour drive to the farm. Forecast was for 20%  showers.  I got rained on twice, of course. The wind and temp drop made it feel frigid.  Gotta toughen up! I did end up seeing a little button buck.  Now I'm back home watching the Sox put up runs against the Asterisks.  

KIMG0184.jpeg

• Like 1

I didn't join picks and points cuz I'm a meathunter not horns. My 3 point ain't helping any lol. Lucky I get to see a buck just happy for the meat. I wish I could sit in a tree stand and pass up deer that would be crazy cool. But I do get to harvest deer earlier then anyone else when I get called for nuisance deer harvest dead of summer.

What you shoot has nothing to do with you getting points…you are picking other hunters to success’s and by the way, does are scoring big so far!!!
Can people still join in - most of us have 0’points!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

It's 3 properties that back up to a river with business in front then a main road and agg on the other side of the river. Almost 100acres and nobody has hunted it in years. Just stumbled into the right situation. But he has 1 massive 8,2 10s 1 wide 1 narrow and 2 identical 8s that 8 very tall.  The big 8 and two tall 8s were in the field today.  Also anything 80inch and up is a shooter for us.

Well it would do my forum fantasy pick some good if you got in there this week and took one of them!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

There's a few Niagara County guys on this forum...someone might.
On a side note.....Niagara County produced 1 or 2 monsters last year as well....iirc maybe the new nys non typical archery buck.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Lots of places for monsters to live in Niagara county.

Edited by Jeremy K

I’m not gonna put anything in the harvest thread since it was PA, but anyways buck came out 6pm 200 yards away, wind died down, I grunted and snortwheezed to pull him in. He came in PISSED! Made 3 scrapes on the way in, shot him at 20 yards and he didn’t even react! Just started walking away! Then I heard him start gargling and he fell over 40 yards in front of me! Clean pass through quartering too. 

• Like 35

6 hours ago, Hock3y24 said:

I’m not gonna put anything in the harvest thread since it was PA, but anyways buck came out 6pm 200 yards away, wind died down, I grunted and snortwheezed to pull him in. He came in PISSED! Made 3 scrapes on the way in, shot him at 20 yards and he didn’t even react! Just started walking away! Then I heard him start gargling and he fell over 40 yards in front of me! Clean pass through quartering too. 

awesome hunt!

• Like 1