LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

Well, this is odd.  Been sitting in my stand for about 10 min when out of the corner of my eye, I see something fall past me by only a foot or so and heard it hit the ground. 

There's a small gray squirrel laying at the bottom of the tree. It's wobbling like a baby trying to walk.  Do squirrel have young throughout the summer into fall? 

IMG_20211019_152000841.jpg

Well, this is odd.  Been sitting in my stand for about 10 min when out of the corner of my eye, I see something fall past me by only a foot or so and heard it hit the ground. 
There's a small gray squirrel laying at the bottom of the tree. It's wobbling like a baby trying to walk.  Do squirrel have young throughout the summer into fall? 
IMG_20211019_152000841.thumb.jpg.a68e4e84432bd949106ff831366ee16b.jpg

Probably lost its balance and or grip and hit the ground. Now it’s wobbly from the concussion it have itself.

I watched one fall from about 12’ up one time. It hit the ground and didn’t move for a while. I assume it was in shock as it just ended up running away after a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Probably lost its balance and or grip and hit the ground. Now it’s wobbly from the concussion it have itself.

I watched one fall from about 12’ up one time. It hit the ground and didn’t move for a while. I assume it was in shock as it just ended up running away after a bit.

Jr is wobbling around a squeaking for mom.  Definitely not a large tree rat. Pretty darn loud too. Maybe he'll drag in a coyote. 

Jr is wobbling around a squeaking for mom.  Definitely not a large tree rat. Pretty darn loud too. Maybe he'll drag in a coyote. 

Interesting. So a quick search says they have babies February-April then some can again august-September. Gestation is 44 days, they will leave the nest at 3 months old and and reach full sized at 9 months.

Huh. I learned something today.

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

Did you ever get your tree hammock seat.  Oddly enough, mine came unhooked from the tree last night, landing me on my butt.  My head was pounding for a while after that as the shock must have transmitted up the spine.  

I am not sure if I had it latched tight prior but I noted one of the teeth broken on the little plastic latch after.  This morning, I piled up leaves under it to break my fall if it let go again.  That worked out well because I was able to silently swivel for a good shot angle on this doe, thanks to the cleared leaves.  The seat held my 210 pounds this morning.

604BEA1C-AE7B-4AC5-9AD5-F7B8DA39F63D.jpeg

I ordered one but it never showed up in time.Congrats on the doe!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mowin said:

IMG_20211019_152000841.jpg

Had this one at a buddies job site. We think they came with the lumber that was dropped off. Caught him in my hat after he climbed up the building and lost balance. Almost tame I fed it my my leftover apple core.

IMG_20210920_140855086.jpg

• Like 2

Went full "THP" on this dude around 6:15......my son made the call and decided I needed to abort the treestand and go after him in the grapes. He ziged..... I Zaged and he lives to see another day. His buddy Mr. 4pt. Stuck around forever but he wasn't what we were after.
17500a71f5fa1d0b01847499d64f7089.jpg

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 16

Exciting evening hunt... Edge of a winter rye field at the other corner where I saw the buck Friday night and out come 3 doe, the one was a big girl too.  The best the would do was 70 yards... But a really cool experience.  I backed out and the never knew I was there.  I'll set up closer next time.

PXL_20211019_224136903.jpg

• Like 4

Jumped down when too dark under tree canopy. 10 in the field as I walked down logging trail. One broke out from the smaller group and walked right towards me. Big’ish doe came to 7-8 yards broadside on trail. A gift but don’t want to shoot anything here but him. Still got the blood going. 

• Like 3

Gonna be a long night. Sent one on  big doe about 6:15.  Full pass thru.  Checked arrow and it looks more liver/gut than I like to see.  Went home to let the dog out.  Gonna go back and take a little look and go from there....hoping it down .  Those grim reapers do a job. If not gonna be a longer night of hoping no coyotes.

• Like 17

7 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Gonna be a long night. Sent one on  big doe about 6:15.  Full pass thru.  Checked arrow and it looks more liver/gut than I like to see.  Went home to let the dog out.  Gonna go back and take a little look and go from there....hoping it down .  Those grim reapers do a job. If not gonna be a longer night of hoping no coyotes.

Pics!!!!!

10 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Do you think your dog could help, even on a leash?  A gut hit gives off a lot of scent and dogs have great noses.   I said a prayer that you will find her.  

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

Went full "THP" on this dude around 6:15......my son made the call and decided I needed to abort the treestand and go after him in the grapes. He ziged..... I Zaged and he lives to see another day. His buddy Mr. 4pt. Stuck around forever but he wasn't what we were after.
17500a71f5fa1d0b01847499d64f7089.jpg

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Spot & Stalk!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2