LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

Opinions please. Heard a couple grunts in cover 70 yds from stand with good wind. Traded grunts with him a couple times but he didn't step out. Tried (my first in combat!) snort wheeze with no response. Eventually the does wandered off slowly eating.

Question: Do does try to  avoid grunts from a distance thinking they don't want to deal with another buck? Thinking I may have been better off staying quiet and maybe they would feed my way. I called elk most of my life and am enjoying trying to learn whitetail.

2 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I'm out. Lone Doe at 658am. Came in perfect, broadside at 22yds then quartering away at 25yds. Wind blowing from her to me. Too bad it wasn't a buck. Sorry @bfahy13

I love the daily updates, keep them coming. 

Whats your plan tomorrow morning ;) 

23 minutes ago, TheHornHunter said:

Anyone ever get a trail cam picture like this? It’s from a 3 week old Covert wireless. The weird thing is I’ll get a few like this then I’ll get one or two normal ones. Very strange

466b5716ec114812caa0ce3af0572bde.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deer are getting smart, they use a disabling device which distorts the camera as they walk by :)

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Unit8R said:

Opinions please. Heard a couple grunts in cover 70 yds from stand with good wind. Traded grunts with him a couple times but he didn't step out. Tried (my first in combat!) snort wheeze with no response. Eventually the does wandered off slowly eating.

Question: Do does try to  avoid grunts from a distance thinking they don't want to deal with another buck? Thinking I may have been better off staying quiet and maybe they would feed my way. I called elk most of my life and am enjoying trying to learn whitetail.

I think in general does don't like to hear grunting as it means they are about to be harassed.  When they are in heat it may be different.

Calling for whitetails is pretty tricky I think,I generally only use it as a last resort if I am sure a buck will pass me by out of range. Some people have success with it,I am not one of them.

Also,if you are in a tree your chances are lower for success as deer can pinpoint sound amazingly well,and they are not used to grunts coming from height...

Edited by BowmanMike
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Unit8R said:

I have never had any success at calling does. I've thrown everything I have at them and never got a response. Best I can do is give them a quick bleat to stop them for a shot. 

Mostly now I don't call bucks or does unless it's a last ditch effort to keep them around. I'll wait to see if they naturally make it my way. 

• Like 1

I have never had any success at calling does. I've thrown everything I have at them and never got a response. Best I can do is give them a quick bleat to stop them for a shot. 
Mostly now I don't call bucks or does unless it's a last ditch effort to keep them around. I'll wait to see if they naturally make it my way. 
Agree.....I had an intestine scenario play out last night. We had a brusier appear out of bedding around 6:10......he freshened two near by scrapes and had no clue we were 50-60 yards away in a stand on the edge of a woodline in the middle of a grape vineyard. My son was all jacked up and wanted to start hammering the snort wheeze call he practices daily and i didn't have the guts to let him try. Felt he would have blown the deer outta there in a hurry. So instead when he started walking the grape rows my son convinced me to get down and make a move on him. I took off my boots and went full sneak catching him about 60 yards down a grape row. He presented a broadside shot before heading to another row buts that's outta my comfort zone with a bow. He ended up walking/trotting off slowly leaving his buddy a small fork horn behind.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, mlammerhirt said:

Agree.....I had an intestine scenario play out last night. We had a brusier appear out of bedding around 6:10......he freshened two near by scrapes and had no clue we were 50-60 yards away in a stand on the edge of a woodline in the middle of a grape vineyard. My son was all jacked up and wanted to start hammering the snort wheeze call he practices daily and i didn't have the guts to let him try. Felt he would have blown the deer outta there in a hurry. So instead when he started walking the grape rows my son convinced me to get down and make a move on him. I took off my boots and went full sneak catching him about 60 yards down a grape row. He presented a broadside shot before heading to another row buts that's outta my comfort zone with a bow. He ended up walking/trotting off slowly leaving his buddy a small fork horn behind.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Ha ha that's awesome! He should have been taking video of you

4 hours ago, TheHornHunter said:

Anyone ever get a trail cam picture like this? It’s from a 3 week old Covert wireless. The weird thing is I’ll get a few like this then I’ll get one or two normal ones. Very strange

466b5716ec114812caa0ce3af0572bde.jpg

Bad SD, poor service connection, or CMOS is going. One of those three, in order.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Moho81 said:

The mini can call (the Lil or mini I think it is marketed as) will bring in adult does - the mini mimics a fawn or yearling and oftentimes adult does will respond inquisitively to it. I think the science behind it is their mother instincts. Been many years since I purposely tried doing that but I have definitely called does in on purpose with the mini can. No way I am doing that now, lol.

I will call to bucks if they turn away or if they don't appear to be coming my way. I can attest to a few bucks on the wall due to that. Will also call when I decoy once in a blue moon (usually once every other season to break things up). Last year my hunting partner and I were hunting the SE and NE side of a thick brushy area that bucks were tending does in. We knew one good buck was in there based on a loose sighting through the thick stuff. I gave a grunt sequence and that buck made his way over to me grunting several times on the way so I could track his movement, enough so that I was able to down him within a real small shooting window. He J hooked over to me in that thick stuff, which was real interesting, but I was on the down wind side on a tree about 30 yards from the timberline. 

I am not a huge fan of blind calling. I rarely do it. That said, there have been a few times where I did and when you get a response to it (by a buck coming in) it is a jolting experience LOL. Didn't expect that to work and it did, ha. But that to me is like 1 in a 100.

• Like 2

Bad SD, poor service connection, or CMOS is going. One of those three, in order.

Thanks for the thoughts. It’s a brand new SD card and I have 3 other coverts on that property having no issues so don’t think it’s a service issue. Is there anything to do about the CMOS? The camera isn’t even a month old

1 hour ago, TheHornHunter said:

Thanks for the thoughts. It’s a brand new SD card and I have 3 other coverts on that property having no issues so don’t think it’s a service issue. Is there anything to do about the CMOS? The camera isn’t even a month old

Don't rule out a bad SD card without verifying. New doesn't equate to good. SD cards are the second most common failure after low battery power. The image could be showing bad spots on the disc, and when it writes to that part, you get said image. Poor signal can also do that - which signal can vary from moment to moment. Measurements on the app and cam are point in time, too so don't over-rely on it. I have several places where a cam will work 10 feet from where it won't and then sometimes it'll send and sometimes it won't being on bleeding edge of service, when heavy cloud cover comes in.

CMOS is alot less common - possible, but that isn't something you can fix if it is going bad. I'd look seriously at the first two, first. Treat the troubleshooting like fixing a car, start with the simplest, most common point of failure and then escalate once you have verified. Car won't start, but the battery is new. Do you automatically go to the starter being bad, or do you test the battery first to ensure nothing is wrong with it? You test the battery.

There are a few other much more obscure causes, but not worth pursuing until you rule out #1 and #2. Welcome to cell cams.

*Edit - View the SD card. If the full-size images are on the SD card like that, then the cell reception is OK. Replace the SD card with a new formatted one, and see if the problem persists. If it does, then you are onto more fatal scenarios. If the full size images are OK, then look at cell reception/modem/servers.

Edited by phade
  • Like 2

D8FD860B-D322-4B75-947C-01EEC69FDDF3.thumb.jpeg.007c819cc4043d9bbc9aa5e5cf3d656b.jpegQuick spot and stalk ,kinda knew their travel route ,I was waiting at 20yards with bow in hand.hens did spot me but I kept still ,finally what felt like forever ,he got in an opening through brush ,I was on my knee ,I drew back and let it fly . .Been after him for 2 years now .Did not want to take him with the gun.will get beard length and spurs later  .Rushing out to get down the road in the stand .D6C226E0-9D72-4E08-ACCA-CC20FB32D2A6.thumb.jpeg.fb3688208cfd1c296b76ff98d9de750f.jpeg0A324EFC-8081-4C6E-B3C4-E6ECEB7A4171.thumb.jpeg.53e87e827c3d10e0c059426f059f5825.jpeg

Edited by WNYTRPR
  • Like 33

23 minutes ago, WNYTRPR said:

D8FD860B-D322-4B75-947C-01EEC69FDDF3.thumb.jpeg.007c819cc4043d9bbc9aa5e5cf3d656b.jpegQuick spot and stalk ,kinda knew their travel route ,I was waiting at 20yards with bow in hand.hens did spot me but I kept still ,finally what felt like forever ,he got in an opening through brush ,I was on my knee ,I drew back and let it fly . .Been after him for 2 years now .Did not want to take him with the gun.will get beard length and spurs later  .Rushing out to get down the road in the stand .D6C226E0-9D72-4E08-ACCA-CC20FB32D2A6.thumb.jpeg.fb3688208cfd1c296b76ff98d9de750f.jpeg0A324EFC-8081-4C6E-B3C4-E6ECEB7A4171.thumb.jpeg.53e87e827c3d10e0c059426f059f5825.jpeg

Wow, hats off to you. Spot and stalk on turkeys,you deserve some sort of medal.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, WNYTRPR said:

You look really young . What kinda hooks he have ? Bow bird is fantastic. WTG ! 

• Haha 1