LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

22 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Good luck…my feeling is that full moons greatly reduce the am activity as many deer are taking advantage of “brighter” nights and stay up feeding. Midday and evenings (as Biz so eloquently remembered my doe in the PM before the full moon phase) are show great activity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly I don't care that much about the moon but it has been unseasonably warm and it is raining. The temps are dropping overnight and the rain is supposed to end around sunrise.

I agree with the deer movement. I have a field behind the house and the deer come out later and stay longer into the night during full(er) moons. Hopefully the cloud cover and rain will get them tucked into bed early.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Good luck…my feeling is that full moons greatly reduce the am activity as many deer are taking advantage of “brighter” nights and stay up feeding. Midday and evenings (as Biz so eloquently remembered my doe in the PM before the full moon phase) are show great activity.

I am not a moon phase follower but agree with this statement 100%.

• Like 1

We had the thunder banger that rocked our woods around 5:30. My buddy helped me hang a new set and he was shaking as he was tethered to the tree straping on the stand. Hope this move pays off.....it rained hard so that will knock down our scent. Gonna let it sit until Sunday or maybe even wait until early next week. We'll see what the cam produces after freshening two big scrapes with some doe pee.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

It seems like a switch has been flipped here the last 2 days with a lot of new bucks suddenly on their feet. I’ve been patiently waiting to start putting some time in. Maybe tomorrow night if the wind shifts in time, or else I’ll be out this weekend. 

• Like 2

Been back home for a day to check on the homestead and grab the rifles. Headed back north in am until…

Found a bunch of sign, a lot more than I would have thought usually it’s behind up there especially with the weather. Looks like some cold frosty mornings coming should be a great start to gun season.

• Like 3

I agree with this to a degree, but I believe weather Trumps everything with deer hunting. I may be wrong, i am much of the time. tonight in Chautauqua county there will be t-storms and clouds all night. No lazy, brightly lit fields for deer to relax and feed in. I’m betting on cold temps and clearing skies to bring them out of cover to feed in The AM. Then again, I honestly don’t care if I sit for 4 hours and look at trees, I’m just ready for some tree-time and a break from work. It has been a VERY busy year.

• Like 4

I agree with this to a degree, but I believe weather Trumps everything with deer hunting. I may be wrong, i am much of the time. tonight in Chautauqua county there will be t-storms and clouds all night. No lazy, brightly lit fields for deer to relax and feed in. I’m betting on cold temps and clearing skies to bring them out of cover to feed in The AM. Then again, I honestly don’t care if I sit for 4 hours and look at trees, I’m just ready for some tree-time and a break from work. It has been a VERY busy year.

Get it done!!!! Rooting for your and everyone success!!!
MAKE MEAT!!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Seems like more wind then they said here . Good luck .

Definitely not what i expected when i got up.thought it was raining at first and was a gust of wind.am hoping with the overnight change they get on their feet this AM.feels like temp at 40 degree's 

24 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

Cams were pretty dead last night. Just 2 does and 3 small bucks... from 10 cams. Haven't had any shooters on cam for the past 4 nights now.

… and let me guess…. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday cameras were blowing up?   It amazes me sometime how much variation there is….  First 3 days of this week I was averaging 25 pics a day on one of my cameras..   now I have not got a single deer pic since 8:30 Wednesday evening..  

Success so far , I made it here this time without hitting a buck !

Although yesterday my tailgate somehow opened I “ always “ lock it too  lol … as my Jet sled,with   ax, shovel and tote of tire jack , hand tools , jumper. cables slid out somewhere in Irondequoit  ! Agh 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

49 minutes ago, Hock3y24 said:

Their gonna be on their feet this am, big temp drop.

I hope you are correct.  The wind is right (nw) for me this morning to hit the spot where I had a 15 yard encounter with an Adirondack giant on opening day of rifle last year.  I am going to try and catch him a day early with my ML this morning.  Departure time is 30 minutes before sunrise and/or, when the rain stops.

The weather conditions (wind and rain) are nearly the same as last year but it is 20 degrees cooler so I think my chances are ok. 

Success so far , I made it here this time without hitting a buck !
Although yesterday my tailgate somehow opened I “ always “ lock it too  lol … as my Jet sled,with   ax, shovel and tote of tire jack , hand tools , jumper. cables slid out somewhere in Irondequoit  ! Agh 

Lady Luck is not on your side so far this year

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

Cams were pretty dead last night. Just 2 does and 3 small bucks... from 10 cams. Haven't had any shooters on cam for the past 4 nights now.

My cameras have been dead the last 2 nights. I did however have a 2 yr old and a 3 yr old both on camera yesterday after sun up. I still have yet to get one of the slammer bucks that used my place a lot last season on my cams that I know are still around because my hunting buddy a mile away got pics of them this summer. 

• Like 1