LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

70796c789f14d942d0ac198c81c54011.jpg
Doe tag filled! 6K. My first deer on MY property! What a great feeling!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will never forget the first deer taken off of my hunting camp ever.. it was 2 days after we closed. Am hunt out of a climber. Long track, my wife who has amazing eyes joined in and is probably the only reason we found her. As soon as we found her my wife got a call that her mother was being transferred to hospice and that she didn’t have long to live maybe a day or two…. Cancer.

We sped that deer to a butcher and raced home. My mother in law lost consciousness about 2 hours after we showed up and passed early the next morning.

My wife jokes to this day that her mom gave me that deer so I wouldn’t be itiching to hunt and could be a good husband for a few weeks.

• Like 5

I rubbed evercalm on the licking branch above the first scrape and just pissed in a second one, about 50 yards upwind.  This one is next to a trail that goes down into the creek valley.  

Now that I know there is a buck around, I am going to skip my planned fact finding visit to the “buck bedroom”, and use the half hour I save, sitting on a rock right here.

I don't know if it's just my area but the deer on my property still seem to be moving more at night. I came out of the woods at 6:30 last night after no action. At 8:30 I had 9 doe in the field 100 yards from my stand. Waiting for that shift when they start moving more during daylight.

1 minute ago, Judoka95 said:

I don't know if it's just my area but the deer on my property still seem to be moving more at night. I came out of the woods at 6:30 last night after no action. At 8:30 I had 9 doe in the field 100 yards from my stand. Waiting for that shift when they start moving more during daylight.

I hunt Canandaigua, it’s been slow here as well, that’s from three hunters in three different spots . 

I made it out for a few hours on state land.  I had planned to set up where a maple ridge dumps into a beaver swamp.  You can usually at least get some sightings if you get high enough.  While I am suiting up in the parking lot another hunter pulls in.  We chew the fat for a bit and I ask where he is hunting so we don't wind up on top of each other.  Sure enough, he is planning to sit the same swamp edge I am.  

OK, change of plans.  I found a spot on the topo I wanted to check out anyway.  It's a 50 yard wide bench on a long, steep ridge.  There is a corn field up top and a turnip field at the bottom.  The ridge is mostly maple with some ash and smaller oaks, but the bench is mostly saplings, apple, ferns, grape vines, etc.  It looks like a great spot.  I set up on one end of the bench where a drainage comes up out of the turnip field and leads into the brushy bench.  I had high hopes for this spot.

4 hours later:  not a thing.  I got down around 10 to take a little walk/speed scouting trip, and saw more boot prints than deer tracks.  No droppings, no rubs, no scrapes.  No sign a deer had ever been on that ridge.  

Oh wall, back to the drawing board.  

Pulled cam and confirmed the buck I saw this AM, 11 pt. Moved stand, never trust Onyx. Property line was 30 yards off as we verified. Feeling like dog shit. Partner and I heading home. No PM hunt. Wife sick too but negative Covid test.

A364AF5D-D107-4401-BBE3-1D42A84BBCD2.jpeg

Edited by phade
  • Like 14

16 minutes ago, phade said:

Pulled cam and confirmed the buck I saw this AM, 11 pt. Moved stand, never trust Onyx. Property line was 30 yards off as we verified. Feeling like dog shit. Partner and I heading home. No PM hunt. Wife sick too but negative Covid test.

A364AF5D-D107-4401-BBE3-1D42A84BBCD2.jpeg

How far of a drive do you have for the hunt?

Hope all is well with you, your wife and partner.

Once again life got in the way of this weekends hunting plans. I managed to get out Friday morning, plenty of does and spikes, but nothing I wanted to shoot. Ended up heading to Cleveland with my wife to help out with my FIL who is recovering from a series of strokes. Looking forward to getting out next weekend. I Did get a new guy on camera though, he’ll be a shooter if he makes it to next year.

IMG_1992.png
  • Like 1

Up and in in the double past the daycare stand. Did get a pic of a shooter a day ago. Also a scrape freshened up. Hung a new set near my encounter with the big boy yesterday morn, took the wife and boy to the pumpkin farm and hit the distillery for a beer and a snack for the mid day break lol. 58 and a nap till the big buck comes by!

It’s coming got this 6 on cam at 1:30 today and just had a doe at 20 yards

ad0de006e1bc20875103eb03d77c3cf0.jpg