LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

I made it out for a few hours on state land.  I had planned to set up where a maple ridge dumps into a beaver swamp.  You can usually at least get some sightings if you get high enough.  While I am suiting up in the parking lot another hunter pulls in.  We chew the fat for a bit and I ask where he is hunting so we don't wind up on top of each other.  Sure enough, he is planning to sit the same swamp edge I am.  
OK, change of plans.  I found a spot on the topo I wanted to check out anyway.  It's a 50 yard wide bench on a long, steep ridge.  There is a corn field up top and a turnip field at the bottom.  The ridge is mostly maple with some ash and smaller oaks, but the bench is mostly saplings, apple, ferns, grape vines, etc.  It looks like a great spot.  I set up on one end of the bench where a drainage comes up out of the turnip field and leads into the brushy bench.  I had high hopes for this spot.

4 hours later:  not a thing.  I got down around 10 to take a little walk/speed scouting trip, and saw more boot prints than deer tracks.  No droppings, no rubs, no scrapes.  No sign a deer had ever been on that ridge.  

Oh wall, back to the drawing board.  

You are a nice guy…. You know being there first and all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heading out for an evening hunt. Mother in law passed unexpected monday morning.  Got the call while hunting that morning. 
Haven't been out all weekend. I am ready to get out, see what happens. 

Sorry for your loss

Found another spot on 20,000 acres of state land. 45 minutes from the house .  3 separate drainages come together. Beaver dam behind me ,to my left, and a 10 yd wide strip connecting this spot  to the more remote other side. Couple scrapes in front of me. Oak trees just over the hill to my right.. Feels deery .  Come on deer.

Of course if I do see one it will be decision time. I normally save my tag for my southern tier trip.20211024_163754.thumb.jpg.429b02e195a9b3fff2acec2f0ccaf7a3.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Judoka95 said:

Took the kids out on the 4 wheeler on the logging trails. Found this scrape and rub right next to each other . Used my son for size  reference.

20211024_162800.jpg

20211024_163946.jpg

Edited by jperch
double post, sticky fingers
  • Like 1

Pulled cam and confirmed the buck I saw this AM, 11 pt. Moved stand, never trust Onyx. Property line was 30 yards off as we verified. Feeling like dog shit. Partner and I heading home. No PM hunt. Wife sick too but negative Covid test.

A364AF5D-D107-4401-BBE3-1D42A84BBCD2.thumb.jpeg.34be0ad33636796c6639fe0d954fae75.jpeg

What part of Ohio? I hunt SE ohio pretty much every year

Well we got rained out and packed it in at 6 . Wife had 2 doe in the neighboring field (not part of our lease ) and they just wouldn’t come in. I had 3 doe behind me in a field on our lease but they also would  not come in for a shot. Still happy though we’ve only been out 3 times on this new lease  and we’ve seen deer every time . Still early yet . 

Edited by rob-c

When are you going to crack and #makemeat

I did during the early doe season so I’m in no rush. I am slightly annoyed because I sat the same stand all weekend except for tonight and this guy walked by with about 20 min of legal left… something about a browless 6

bbafb28370d99bba753fcdc025edebd1.jpg

• Like 1