LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

11 hours ago, wolc123 said:

It was 30 degrees when I walked up the ridge to the vicinity of Tuesday’s gut pile (thats a boulder in the picture, not it) by moonlight.  My seat was strapped to this tree 1/2 hour before sunrise.  This is the first hard frost of the year, up here in wmu 6c.

I have (4) in the tube, (1) in the chamber, my safety off, and my trigger half cocked, as I sit here waiting on a bear.  

353E16FE-0887-428D-A8C3-89B5731B4F38.jpeg

Man my old range officer at work would be having a field day if he knew someone had the safety off and they weren’t ready to pull the trigger.  Lol.  I can picture him yelling, chew and spit flying out of his mouth.  Lol.  Memories!!

I did during the early doe season so I’m in no rush. I am slightly annoyed because I sat the same stand all weekend except for tonight and this guy walked by with about 20 min of legal left… something about a browless 6

bbafb28370d99bba753fcdc025edebd1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s right I forgot you got one during that early season. It’s all making sense now!

• Like 1

I had 2 does come in and hang up due to ground scent or swirly winds, I believe. I saw what looked like a buck behind, but after about 5 minutes of these does standing still, the buck decided to exit left. After about 30 minutes, the does came in. The closest doe came to about 15 yds, but I was not going to shoot that late in the day. It was good to see deer though.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That’s right I forgot you got one during that early season. It’s all making sense now!

It’s ok I think crappy is ready to yell at me lol

40 minutes ago, boo711 said:

Man my old range officer at work would be having a field day if he knew someone had the safety off and they weren’t ready to pull the trigger.  Lol.  I can picture him yelling, chew and spit flying out of his mouth.  Lol.  Memories!!

This particular model (Marlin 336) was not designed with a cross bolt safety and the earlier ones don’t have it.  They were not slapped on until too many lawyers got involved in the early eighties. The “safe” position was always with the hammer at the half cock position.  The new ones work the same way if you leave the cross bolt safety off.  

That said, I still use it when walking, loading or unloading but not while seated or in a stand. Split seconds matter at times.  Have you ever hunted with a lever action gun or a muzzleloader ?   

As long as the hammer was at half cock, the gun still had one of it’s two safeties on, and your range officer might be happy.  

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

This particular model (Marlin 336) was not designed with a cross bolt safety and the earlier ones don’t have it.  They were not slapped on until too many lawyers got involved in the early eighties. The “safe” position was always with the hammer at the half cock position.  The new ones work the same way if you leave the safety off.  

That said, I still use it when walking, loading or unloading but not while seated or in a stand. Split seconds matter at times.  Have you ever hunted with a lever action gun or a muzzleloader ?  

I do the same Wolc.

I didn't get to hunt the morning today due to some family obligations and church.

I got in the stand around 4 and seen my first deer at 5. A small 6pt at 20 yards. He got the pass. 

This doe came out a little after 6pm the same spot as yesterday 30 yards away and acted nervous and kept looking up at the stand the same as yesterday.  With her acting nervous 2 days in a row I made the he eat decision of putting her in the freezer.

She went 40-50 yards and piled up.  I'm glad she didn't go far the rain was starting to pick up.  The wife and kids are excited for fresh venison.

IMG_20211024_182754.jpg

IMG_20211024_182723.jpg

IMG_20211024_194918.jpg

• Like 37

50 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

This particular model (Marlin 336) was not designed with a cross bolt safety and the earlier ones don’t have it.  They were not slapped on until too many lawyers got involved in the early eighties. The “safe” position was always with the hammer at the half cock position.  The new ones work the same way if you leave the cross bolt safety off.  

As long as the hammer was at half cock, the gun still had one of it’s two safeties on, and your range officer might be happy.  

Not finding fault.  Like I said just brought back a funny memory and gave me a good laugh.  Thank you!!

Had another great day in the woods. Saw six different bucks! For various reasons, no shots taken. Next weekend, with three days off perhaps I can make a connection? 

20211024_154430.thumb.jpg.1ae561b065c7d6107a9694d6bde1b62d.jpg

On the way out, this small 8pt buck let me walk within bow range while he fed! He never ran, just looked at me a couple of times, and was still there feeding after I walked past! Don't ever see that happen around here!

Told him "see ya in a couple years buddy". I think he replied "bring it old man"!

• Like 17

I made it out early this morning... Beautiful morning too.  I kicked up one but never got a look at it, then 30 minutes later, I had a big doe and a fawn in front of me... They were at least 50 yds so I didn't even think about it.  

This is my fifth time out in a row that I am seeing deer.. I need a plan to get closer.

If I see that buck he is dead… he will get a pedestal mount with Cwood plated on it

Or mounted on that log you shot the other night? Or is that too soon for a joke?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 5

Had another great day in the woods. Saw six different bucks! For various reasons, no shots taken. Next weekend, with three days off perhaps I can make a connection? 
20211024_154430.thumb.jpg.1ae561b065c7d6107a9694d6bde1b62d.jpg
On the way out, this small 8pt buck let me walk within bow range while he fed! He never ran, just looked at me a couple of times, and was still there feeding after I walked past! Don't ever see that happen around here!
Told him "see ya in a couple years buddy". I think he replied "bring it old man"!

6 bucks? Awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, boo711 said:

Not finding fault.  Like I said just brought back a funny memory and gave me a good laugh.  Thank you!!

No problem.  I am glad you brought it up, and it is something that I need to focus more on.  I don’t remember if that “extra” cross bolt safety played a role on my not getting off a shot at a big Adirondack buck last year, but it might have.   

I did not want a repeat of that this year, which is why I went out of my way to make sure I could get off a shot ASAP, if a buck appeared without any warning again, and I had to get off a fast shot.  That meant just using the half cock hammer safety and not the cross bolt.  Both of my muzzleloader use only a half cock hammer safety, so using just that one on the Marlin levers felt much more natural for me.

I am still learning with the lever action, but I know I don’t care for the position of the cross bolt safety, compared to the thumb tab safety on my Ruger 77, or Marlin 512 bolt actions, or the trigger guard button safety’s on my Ithaca and Remington  pumps.  

I

19 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I just ordered one of those hammer side extensions from Amazon for $9.99.  I will put it in before I hunt with my father in laws Marlin again over Thanksgiving.  That should help get off a fast shot with the scope.

Edited by wolc123

I didn't get out this weekend . Had the weekend from hell.  Saturday morning 1 am woke up in pain .  Hubby came home from work at 2am  took me to hospital .  Kidney stone  didn't get out of hospital  till 10 am  was so drugged up decided not to go out  and then Sunday I slept in  pain pills  were nice . Finally passed the stone . Damm I don't wish that pain on anyone . Maybe I'll get out tuesday

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Hunted all day at my cabin, planned on hunting tomorrow but with an inch of rain tomorrow in the forecast I headed home after the evening hunt.

Had a small fisher under my stand less then five minutes after I climbed the tree for the evening hunt. Passed on a small six in the morning and sat on a goose egg for the evening hunt, as far as deer went. 

Tons of sign rubs, scrapes and bucks sparring on the cameras (pictures in trail cam thread). Next week should be good hope I can spend two or three days at my cabin.

Screenshot_20211024-141802_Gallery.jpg

20211024_123557.jpg

• Like 4