LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

12 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

6 bucks? Awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yup. Four together in a group at first light. A fork horn later in the morning.

And the small eight while I was coming out at the end of my hunt. 

Passed on a decent buck on Saturday at 20 yards. Reason is, I never got a shot angle I was completely comfortable with. Just quartering to. When he did get broadside he was in brush. Waited patiently, for the shot that never came. That's ok!!! I got time, and hopefully will have another opportunity?

We seem to have quite a few younger bucks running around this year. And a couple others that get my heart racing.

I have yet to hunt the Pine Bush property. Waiting until the first or second week of November.

'Anything' could happen down there??

• Like 2

11 hours ago, cynthiafu said:

I didn't get out this weekend . Had the weekend from hell.  Saturday morning 1 am woke up in pain .  Hubby came home from work at 2am  took me to hospital .  Kidney stone  didn't get out of hospital  till 10 am  was so drugged up decided not to go out  and then Sunday I slept in  pain pills  were nice . Finally passed the stone . Damm I don't wish that pain on anyone . Maybe I'll get out tuesday

glad you are doing better

58 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Live from Subaru dealer. Free maintenance check , oil change and tire rotation. Hope to get in a tree later. 

I’ll be hunting out of mine later this week, as the truck gets repaired . We need twin pics of deer on the back of ours ! 

• Like 1

On 10/23/2021 at 11:51 AM, NonTypical said:

Pics? Story?

I can tell the story to some degree. I've learned over the years that there's not much to gain from sharing other than "admiration". This isn't to say that I have any issue with those who share their hero shots. I think it's great. But for me, hunting is a very personal thing. I don't hunt to brag, although I have a nice looking wall that I'm very proud of. I hunt for my own reasons and like to keep my successes between my family and I.

This was a new stand. I've hunted this property just 1 season and learned that while doe were abundant in the one stand I put in, the bucks just seemed to be always skirting it. So I found a spot just south of my stand that had several main runs intersecting through it, but it was thick and not great tree options. In the winter I cut an approach to it with my wife and 3 boys. In early September my 2 oldest boys and my dad hung a stand and cleared lanes. This took a good 2 days. The stand itself is way back on the property and there are no quad trails cut to it yet. But a wide enough trail to get a deer cart down.

I haven't hunted this stand yet, but felt like Friday night was a good time to break it in. I like to hunt new stands for the first time in the evening so I can figure out any quirks and what not in the light. Glad I brought another bow holder with me as I didn't like the spot I put it originally with my pullup rope.

Friday was a beautiful evening in 8F. Crisp, clear and sunny. I got in a little after 4, taking my time to pick up the crunchy twigs and sticks that had fallen on my approach trail. I got in, started getting my bearings for a new stand, ranging trees and shot opportunities, kinda just enjoying being in the woods. Texting a little with my cousin who had a buck turn the wrong way in the morning and hearing her story. I'm ready, but not really on full alert mode at a little after 5 when this deer comes busting out from the ridge in front of me (about 50 yards). It's still very thick and green and it makes a beeline for my stand directly in front of me at a good pace. I stand, grab the bow, secure my release and it stops at like 7 yards to sniff a sapling (honestly it may have been my scent on that tree). It's a tough angle but one I've taken a few times with success. I draw, do my best to bend at the waste and slip one behind the shoulder. It's cornering towards and takes off. I heard the tell tale pop of the lung hit and here some crashing and then quiet. About 5 minutes go by and some more crashing. This makes me nervous as I'm hoping it wasn't liver or something.

I would have given it an hour or so but was losing light. So after 20 minutes I get down and go and find decent blood. It wasn't a pass through but about 40 yards in I find mind my FMJ soaked with blood, a busted up rage hypo and a broken lighted nock. Follow good blood for another 40 yards or so and find the bastard dead in some real nasty thick and hard to get to bedding area... thankfully just off a well traveled run that I helped trim out a little over the winter to get them to use it more. Ended up being a double lung, but a little back which was fine given how it was cornering, but not great that it came out the guts. Smelly, and not ideal.

Gut and make the long trek back to the truck. Change and grab the cart. Dad comes help and we spend the next 2 hours getting the heavy SOB out of there. I spent some time the first year to just make a human approach trail and some time this summer to make it wide enough and cut some logs so the cart can get through thank god, but the plans this spring was to make it wide enough for an ATV. My dad and I were cursing me not doing this already haha. 

Finally got home a little after 9 running high off adrenaline still, but mentally and physically exhausted. Hung it till yesterday and cut and packaged while drinking beers and watching football. Can't have a better day than that! 

The cherry on top was that this is land owned by my wife's grandpa, scouted and worked on my own with help from my wife, kids and dad. For me, that's better than any meat or rack.

• Like 21

22 minutes ago, Belo said:

I can tell the story to some degree. I've learned over the years that there's not much to gain from sharing other than "admiration". This isn't to say that I have any issue with those who share their hero shots. I think it's great. But for me, hunting is a very personal thing. I don't hunt to brag, although I have a nice looking wall that I'm very proud of. I hunt for my own reasons and like to keep my successes between my family and I.

This was a new stand. I've hunted this property just 1 season and learned that while doe were abundant in the one stand I put in, the bucks just seemed to be always skirting it. So I found a spot just south of my stand that had several main runs intersecting through it, but it was thick and not great tree options. In the winter I cut an approach to it with my wife and 3 boys. In early September my 2 oldest boys and my dad hung a stand and cleared lanes. This took a good 2 days. The stand itself is way back on the property and there are no quad trails cut to it yet. But a wide enough trail to get a deer cart down.

I haven't hunted this stand yet, but felt like Friday night was a good time to break it in. I like to hunt new stands for the first time in the evening so I can figure out any quirks and what not in the light. Glad I brought another bow holder with me as I didn't like the spot I put it originally with my pullup rope.

Friday was a beautiful evening in 8F. Crisp, clear and sunny. I got in a little after 4, taking my time to pick up the crunchy twigs and sticks that had fallen on my approach trail. I got in, started getting my bearings for a new stand, ranging trees and shot opportunities, kinda just enjoying being in the woods. Texting a little with my cousin who had a buck turn the wrong way in the morning and hearing her story. I'm ready, but not really on full alert mode at a little after 5 when this deer comes busting out from the ridge in front of me (about 50 yards). It's still very thick and green and it makes a beeline for my stand directly in front of me at a good pace. I stand, grab the bow, secure my release and it stops at like 7 yards to sniff a sapling (honestly it may have been my scent on that tree). It's a tough angle but one I've taken a few times with success. I draw, do my best to bend at the waste and slip one behind the shoulder. It's cornering towards and takes off. I heard the tell tale pop of the lung hit and here some crashing and then quiet. About 5 minutes go by and some more crashing. This makes me nervous as I'm hoping it wasn't liver or something.

I would have given it an hour or so but was losing light. So after 20 minutes I get down and go and find decent blood. It wasn't a pass through but about 40 yards in I find mind my FMJ soaked with blood, a busted up rage hypo and a broken lighted nock. Follow good blood for another 40 yards or so and find the bastard dead in some real nasty thick and hard to get to bedding area... thankfully just off a well traveled run that I helped trim out a little over the winter to get them to use it more. Ended up being a double lung, but a little back which was fine given how it was cornering, but not great that it came out the guts. Smelly, and not ideal.

Gut and make the long trek back to the truck. Change and grab the cart. Dad comes help and we spend the next 2 hours getting the heavy SOB out of there. I spent some time the first year to just make a human approach trail and some time this summer to make it wide enough and cut some logs so the cart can get through thank god, but the plans this spring was to make it wide enough for an ATV. My dad and I were cursing me not doing this already haha. 

Finally got home a little after 9 running high off adrenaline still, but mentally and physically exhausted. Hung it till yesterday and cut and packaged while drinking beers and watching football. Can't have a better day than that! 

The cherry on top was that this is land owned by my wife's grandpa, scouted and worked on my own with help from my wife, kids and dad. For me, that's better than any meat or rack.

Can you at least provide the P&Y score should i start searching your name in 60 days?

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Belo said:

I get you want to keep your hunts to yourself and what not but after all you did post that got something. Could you at least elaborate on what the buck was? a spike, fork a basket a nice 8 or maybe even a 10? I just have a curious mind and consider all deer to be a trophy. 

Either way a sincere congratulations! 

• Like 1

I get you want to keep your hunts to yourself and what not but after all you did post that got something. Could you at least elaborate on what the buck was? a spike, fork a basket a nice 8 or maybe even a 10? I just have a curious mind and consider all deer to be a trophy. 
Either way a sincere congratulations! 
It was a "bastard" as he eloquently put it in the story.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 1

RIght! but still was it a big bastard, little bastard, fat bastard or skinny bastard? 
Had to have been a young buck, born out of wedlock, starting out for a life of his own in foreign lands. I've seen it a million times....

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 1