LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

1 hour ago, josephmrtn said:

I'm just hoping my stomach growling doesn't scare them away LOL also it's pouring rain so that puts a little damper on it

Tough it out ! 
I do a 36 hour fast once a week or so after a few hours I’m not hungry at all .

35 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

I hope you don't have to cross any ditches,bring a boat if you do.

Yep have I cross a drainage ditch to get to any stand , oh and the toe cap on my left Muck boot came unglued awhile back . Where I cross there was little to no water previously, it won’t be bad unless boot leaks , I’ve been crossing it 32 years or so only one year was it to high for awhile .

1 hour ago, mlammerhirt said:

They are definitely moving....had a camera sending pics all morning at one spot. Deer, coyotes.....none of them are afraid of the rain.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

I think deer learn this in high pressure areas, that rain is more safe to move in. JMHO.

This camera is on a travel rt. Between bedding and feed. The pressure on that property is super low. Camera indicates no trespassers since summer......and that area hasnt seen any of us hunt it all season. That changes this weekend
I have seen and learned over the years rain just really doesn't bother them....as the hunter we just need to be prepared to tough it out in the slop.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Yep have I cross a drainage ditch to get to any stand , oh and the toe cap on my left Muck boot came unglued awhile back . Where I cross there was little to no water previously, it won’t be bad unless boot leaks , I’ve been crossing it 32 years or so only one year was it to high for awhile .

I wore my chest waders into the stand this morning cause I knew the swamp would be too deep for my boots

• Like 2

I think deer learn this in high pressure areas, that rain is more safe to move in. JMHO.
I don't disagree, just think that the colder Temps and wet conditions require more nutrition to keep warm so they add some extra feeding times. This is also the ramp up to rut, so bucks are out checking on their lady friends and the easiest time to find them is when they are bedded. So you have need for food and need for fun, more daytime activity is upon is.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 6

3 hours ago, josephmrtn said:

I wore my chest waders into the stand this morning cause I knew the swamp would be too deep for my boots

I had a real comfortable pair of Redball chest waders, that I hadn’t used in about 30 years, so I cut the top off when I needed a new pair of rubber boots.  Those cut off wader boots are what I use for hunting when it’s warm now, but they are just a bit over ankle high.

About two years after I cut them off, I regretted it because I was seeing lots of deer activity in the swamps at my in-laws place, up in the Adirondacks.  I ordered an insulated pair, made somewhere in Asia, for $89 from Amazon this fall specifically for that purpose.

They are comfortable, but I ended up filling my antlerless tag up on the high ground up there early last week, so I didn’t use them for hunting the swamps.  They worked great for pulling out the boats and docks, so I left them up there.

I also regretting that decision now, because I imagine that the swamp near the back of my parents woods in WNY will be quite full, by time I get out with my crossbow on November 6.  

Switching it up , not going in the AM, but afternoon to let things dry out a bit then both ends Thursday. 

Get your score cards ready fellas !

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 4