LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

Be out from sunup to 2pm.  Didn't get a chance to go look for scrapes today. So my plan is to be at the piece of stateland I want to hunt throw my stand on my back and still hunt my way until I come across good sign and then setup the rest of the day.

Hope is they should be opening up scrapes after all the rain.  What are your thoughts of hunting scrapes after rain?

Edited by Swamp_bucks

1 hour ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Be out from sunup to 2pm.  Didn't get a chance to go look for scrapes today. So my plan is to be at the piece of stateland I want to hunt throw my stand on my back and still hunt my way until I come across good sign and then setup the rest of the day.

Hope is they should be opening up scrapes after all the rain.  What are your thoughts of hunting scrapes after rain?

Find the right scrapes and you might be in business. Late October after a rain event should see bucks freshening up scrapes. Invariably I’ve seen it more in the AMs as bucks take longer to make rounds. Might consider getting right to bedding if you know a suspected area as the closest scrape to bedding area is likely communal and would be the last one freshened on a bucks way back to bed.

This week is invariably the week a lot of hunters realize they missed an opp. A lot of those for me surrounded scrape hits in daylight.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, phade said:

Find the right scrapes and you might be in business. Late October after a rain event should see bucks freshening up scrapes. Invariably I’ve seen it more in the AMs as bucks take longer to make rounds. Might consider getting right to bedding if you know a suspected area as the closest scrape to bedding area is likely communal and would be the last one freshened on a bucks way back to bed.

This week is invariably the week a lot of hunters realize they missed an opp. A lot of those for me surrounded scrape hits in daylight.

That's why I'm hoping to get in during grey light. I haven't had a chance to really check for fresh scrapes the last 2 weeks. Hoping with the wind and rain I can sneak in quite to a bedding area I know of and find a fresh community scrape and do a hang and hunt.  Drove past the area today and the rain has the swamp a little full with the main stream rushing. It should keep them to the edges a little more and out of the center of it is my hope.

Hunting scrapes in late October is a great strategy, especially after rain. I’ll be out in the AM doing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well it ended for me as fast as it started. I finally got out this past weekend for 2 afternoon hunts. Saturday was a little better for me as I passed on 2 young bucks. However, due to an equipment failure at work Monday morning, I had to get medi-vacced to the hospital with a couple of broken ribs and some internal bleeding. I’m home now, but everything is a very slow go for me at his point. I’ll be watching from the sidelines and hopefully will be able to get out in the next few weeks. Good luck to everyone that will be getting out. After this rain passes, I think we should be in for some really good hunts. 

Edited by NonTypical
  • Like 2
  • Sad 12

3 hours ago, NonTypical said:

Well it ended for me as fast as it started. I finally got out this past weekend for 2 afternoon hunts. Saturday was a little better for me as I passed on 2 young bucks. However, due to an equipment failure at work Monday morning, I had to get medi-vacced to the hospital with a couple of broken ribs and some internal bleeding. I’m home now, but everything is a very slow go for me at his point. I’ll be watching from the sidelines and hopefully will be able to get out in the next few weeks. Good luck to everyone that will be getting out. After this rain passes, I think we should be in for some really good hunts. 

speedy recovery 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NonTypical said:

That stinks. Hope you heal welll. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

exact same here.  7:25 in the morn and work is already dragggggininnnng assssssss........

No worries I’m looking to down a nice buck for you today perhaps you can drop one too in next few days off 

• Like 1