LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

Speaking of fishing. Here’s a little highlight video I put Together for our club from this season. 

for anyone that knows me, you’ll see my son Evan in there holding his tournament winning 4 1/2lb largemouth from our Honeoye lake tournament. Turns out the kid is a stick!

• Like 6

1 minute ago, josephmrtn said:

What do you guys think, rattling antlers for an afternoon sit or no?

I prefer to sit quietly.

Unless I happen to see a deer that will not pass by within range. Then I'll try anything! Grunt Call, Snort Wheeze, Rattle Bag, Can Call??? Nothing to lose at that point, because I won't get a shot anyways, unless he changes course.

I never had much luck, or results from blind calling. But seems others have.

• Like 4

I hunted this morning and small bucks are chasing like crazy but bigger bucks still mostly focused on food with a little half ass rutting activity. Tonight probably the better hunt but I have work obligations unfortunately.

On the bright side, I pulled some cards and found one of the best 2 year old I’ve seen. He’s pretty regular on cam so hopefully he doesn’t venture far. I’d love to see what he turns into

d8262713cc075894537bfca329300e96.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 9

1 minute ago, grampy said:

I prefer to sit quietly.

Unless I happen to see a deer that will not pass by within range. Then I'll try anything! Grunt Call, Snort Wheeze, Rattle Bag, Can Call??? Nothing to lose at that point, because I won't get a shot anyways, unless he changes course.

I never had much luck, or results from blind calling. But seems others have.

I've never had much luck with it either but I think there's also a science to it and not just blindly grunting or smashing antlers together

I hunted this morning and small bucks are chasing like crazy but bigger bucks still mostly focused on food with a little half ass rutting activity. Tonight probably the better hunt but I have work obligations unfortunately.

On the bright side, I pulled some cards and found one of the best 2 year old I’ve seen. He’s pretty regular on cam so hopefully he doesn’t venture far. I’d love to see what he turns into

I can tell you exactly what he will turn into....

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, josephmrtn said:

I've never had much luck with it either but I think there's also a science to it and not just blindly grunting or smashing antlers together

Won't hurt to give it a try Joe. 

I do think there is probably some kinda science to blind calling. It's just that I'm probably not smart enough to figure it out? No surprise there right? But I always felt that after I was done, every deer in this area knows where I am. Weather that's good or bad, depends on what happens next. With me, nothing ever happened. I just let the deer know where I was, and they weren't buying what I was selling. Being quiet and still, with wind in my favor, I have a better chance of them showing themselves. 

• Like 1

What do you guys think, rattling antlers for an afternoon sit or no?

Depends on your setup. If youre somewhere relatively thick and impossible for deer to sneak downwind i might do a little light rattling right now, especially if you know you have a bully buck in the area. Still too early to go all out imo, only fights I’ve seen so far are pretty light sparring. If you do rattle, I’d start with a couple grunts first and wait 15 mins just to make sure there’s nothing to close.

In general I prefer to call to deer I see and aren’t coming to me rather than blind calling. I’m very picky of when and where I do it. Been burned lots over the years having a buck come in and get down wind or sense something is up

1 minute ago, grampy said:

Won't hurt to give it a try Joe. 

I do think there is probably some kinda science to blind calling. It's just that I'm probably not smart enough to figure it out? No surprise there right? But I always felt that after I was done, every deer in this area knows where I am. Weather that's good or bad, depends on what happens next. With me, nothing ever happened. I just let the deer know where I was, and they weren't buying what I was selling. Being quiet and still, with wind in my favor, I have a better chance of them showing themselves. 

I give it a shot once in a while when i haven't seen anything and i am thinking about climbing down.  The only buck i ever killed with my bow (a 5pt) came in about 5 years ago now after i rattled and grunted. I have no idea if it was because of the calls or if he would have showed up anyway. I have tried several times since with no luck at all....

I can tell you exactly what he will turn into....

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

A 175, a 185 and a 190” have been killed within a mile or so of here over the last ten years and he’s much bigger than the 175 was at two so he could be something special… or he could get smoked by one of the neighbors

• Like 2

Just now, TheHornHunter said:

A 175, a 185 and a 190” have been killed within a mile or so of here over the last ten years and he’s much bigger than the 175 was at two so he could be something special… or he could get smoked by one of the neighbors

Can’t fault anyone that shoots that buck, from that picture.   

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, TheHornHunter said:

I can easily see him turning into venison filet, corned venison, venison taco's, venison jerky, venison sausage, venison meatloaf, smoked venison, bacon wrapped venison. you get the picture. 

• Like 6

Can’t fault anyone that shoots that buck, from that picture.   

I never fault anyone for shooting a buck, regardless of what antlers it has. People should shoot what makes them happy. What makes me happy is different than the next guy and I don’t expect anyone else to hunt like I do. One isn’t right or wrong. I hope the neighbors don’t kill that buck but if they do I’ll still go over and congratulate them

• Like 5