LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

Update to my trip to the family farm in central VT.  Got there around lunchtime, caught up with my brother, did some walking and checked 4 cams.  I was a bit discouraged by the lack of buck sign. 

Based on what I had on cameras, I climbed a stand near the top corner of a hay field.  I felt like I was too far from the action, so I climbed down and worked my way up a drainage ditch.  Set up behind a couple piece of telephone (power) pole right off the field edge.  The way they were stacked they acted as a bench rest for my xbow (VT!). I had two shooting lanes through the tall grass that would give me a 25 yard shot.  There was a light north wind that kicked west every so often.  

The wind must have dried out the leaves, because I could hear a bunch of deer at 5:45.  They took their time making their way to the field.  By then the wind had died and my scent was falling down the ditch and down the hill.  A big doe stepped out and I could see her big head and long nose through the tall grass.  I waited another minute or two and she stepped into my shooting lane.  A solid rest and short yardage allowed me to make a pretty much perfect shot.  

My brother always goes with me when I track on the farm.  We drove his pickup to the top of the field and found amazing blood at impact.  She went 50 yards at most.  She weighed an even 120 on my brother's scale.  

I slept in the next morning and visited family.  I scouted mid day and found a scrape line, including one that was smoking fresh. Didn't see anything on my evening sit.  Had dinner with my mom and came home. 

Congrats to all that connected.  I will be back after a buck after this weekend of rain.  

KIMG0190.jpeg

KIMG0191.jpeg

• Like 22

11 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

Update to my trip to the family farm in central VT.  Got there around lunchtime, caught up with my brother, did some walking and checked 4 cams.  I was a bit discouraged by the lack of buck sign. 

Based on what I had on cameras, I climbed a stand near the top corner of a hay field.  I felt like I was too far from the action, so I climbed down and worked my way up a drainage ditch.  Set up behind a couple piece of telephone (power) pole right off the field edge.  The way they were stacked they acted as a bench rest for my xbow (VT!). I had two shooting lanes through the tall grass that would give me a 25 yard shot.  There was a light north wind that kicked west every so often.  

The wind must have dried out the leaves, because I could hear a bunch of deer at 5:45.  They took their time making their way to the field.  By then the wind had died and my scent was falling down the ditch and down the hill.  A big doe stepped out and I could see her big head and long nose through the tall grass.  I waited another minute or two and she stepped into my shooting lane.  A solid rest and short yardage allowed me to make a pretty much perfect shot.  

My brother always goes with me when I track on the farm.  We drove his pickup to the top of the field and found amazing blood at impact.  She went 50 yards at most.  She weighed an even 120 on my brother's scale.  

I slept in the next morning and visited family.  I scouted mid day and found a scrape line, including one that was smoking fresh. Didn't see anything on my evening sit.  Had dinner with my mom and came home. 

Congrats to all that connected.  I will be back after a buck after this weekend of rain.  

KIMG0190.jpeg

KIMG0191.jpeg

Great job and story Congrats 

• Thanks 1

Good luck to you guys out hunting this weekend.  I am on the sidelines, until crossbow opens next Saturday.  Hopefully, I can connect with one more average sized deer, which would give us just about enough meat to make it thru another year. 

This is what I saw when I walked out the back door this morning.  It looks like the borderline 8 point that taunted me during the early antlerless season. He is happily munching away in my front corn plot right now

3EFC7835-7AA9-456A-BE20-953963C2520A.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

Second sit of the year in 9H. Jumped in the ground blind due to the rain. Beach nuts everywhere. I hope the squirrels leave some for the deer. Had a doe with two little ones sneak by earlier. 49863ca9a4a969033ac6b26a56f8f124.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Agree......dumping buckets and bow hunting can't go together very well. Deer move in the rain.....but nobody can predict a quick Clean kill and short track.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

I know a guy who can...

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Son and I have been up in a double ladder in 8j this morning.  Seen a few too far away to make out.  Had to yotes come ripping through on a full run, no idea what they were seeing.  There has been more drizzle lingering than I thought there would be.

I also second the crazy tarsal gland smell way earlier than normal.  I went to my stand Wed and on the walk in I just missed a buck, I could smell it plain as day.

• Like 1

What a storm.  My basement flooded last night.  Pump just could not keep up and we had to call the fire department at 1am.  I’m just hoping that the furnace isn’t shot.  I’ll be hunting the basement stand all weekend.

I saw a lone buck cross the field headed for my stands this morning, feels like salt in the wound!

• Sad 6

What a storm.  My basement flooded last night.  Pump just could not keep up and we had to call the fire department at 1am.  I’m just hoping that the furnace isn’t shot.  I’ll be hunting the basement stand all weekend.

I saw a lone buck cross the field headed for my stands this morning, feels like salt in the wound!

Thats the worst, sorry to hear it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro