LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

37 minutes ago, FLXmatt said:

What a storm.  My basement flooded last night.  Pump just could not keep up and we had to call the fire department at 1am.  I’m just hoping that the furnace isn’t shot.  I’ll be hunting the basement stand all weekend.

I saw a lone buck cross the field headed for my stands this morning, feels like salt in the wound!

Wow, the sump was overwhelmed or was there some other access for it  , like a walkout door ? 

I have a backup along with a water alarm for early notifications, a lesson learned the hard way . 

My friends son street flooded to a couple feet, it came close to flowing down his driveway and into the house . They opened the street drains up and cleared the flood . Plugged with leaves , dopes along the street rake them into the gutters which then plug and flood .

It’s starting to lighten up a bit in woods. Hopefully that means the rain is over with and the deer will get on there feet. Hunting until noon then picking my daughter up so we can sit the evening together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

Guess I should have hunted.  Rain hasn't amounted to much.  Yet.  I sort of wish I had set up a popup blind somewhere.  Then again, when I hunt out of one I feel half blind.  They are nice for staying out of the weather though.

I hate blinds in bow too and I have permanent ones on platforms.   But I guess it’s a place to sit when it pours. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Caveman said:

I shot a spike this morning about 10 minutes before I had resolved to pack it in.  I have been bowhunting for 11 years, and this is only my second deer with a bow.  I bow hunt exclusively state land, and between work and kids I only get to hunt one half-day a week--some weeks not at all.  I know a lot of guys would pass a spike, but I was absolutely shaking with excitement.  

Congrats on your success!

1 minute ago, Caveman said:

I shot a spike this morning about 10 minutes before I had resolved to pack it in.  I have been bowhunting for 11 years, and this is only my second deer with a bow.  I bow hunt exclusively state land, and between work and kids I only get to hunt one half-day a week--some weeks not at all.  I know a lot of guys would pass a spike, but I was absolutely shaking with excitement.  

Congrats on the spike. 

Heck yeah!!!! Every deer is a trophy. Enjoy the success and don’t let anyone out you down.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Caveman said:

Congratz!! Don't apologize for any deer you shoot. It is quite the accomplishment to take any deer with stick and string!! Enjoy the steaks!!

• Like 3

Well all things considered I thought I had a decent plan this morning. I sat on the edge of the flooded out land in the oak trees with standing corn to my west. Good wind for where I thought they would come from but only thing I saw was a chunky spike 50 yards away right on the edge of the flooded land. Time for a break before the evening hunt. I might just come back to the same spot.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Caveman said:

Congrats! Meat in the freezer!

14 minutes ago, Caveman said:

That's awesome, dont need to explain why you took a spike to no one. Congrats, any deer with any weapon is a trophy and healthy meat for  the family. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Caveman said:

Any harvest is a trophy 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Caveman said:

Meat in the freezer it’s better than tag soup. Congrats :) 

LFG!! Atta boy!!!
Cavemen don’t hunt bone!

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Caveman said:

Congrats on the kill.  Any deer with a bow is a trophy.  Generally speaking, the younger the buck, the better they taste.   My favorites on the table are those without protruding antlers, or with spikes shorter than 3”.  Not only do they taste the best, but they can be legally tagged with a dmp.

1 hour ago, Caveman said:

Way to go!!! A hearty congratulations to you sir on a public land buck! Quite an accomplishment for sure! ANY deer with a bow is a true trophy!

That’s what its all about!!

• Like 1

Congrats .... Simply cannot eat Antler's

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I hate blinds in bow too and I have permanent ones on platforms.   But I guess it’s a place to sit when it pours. 

I much prefer the couch ! I try not to hunt in rain, or mud after a heavy rain , and last light sits in bow are largely off the table as well for me . If the farm didn’t have rules, I’d probably go back to taking the first young buck I see and call it a season .

2 hours ago, Caveman said:

Any deer on public land, especially with a bow is a trophy.  It is easy to be picky when you have a large private area you can manage.  But all bets are off on public land.  Take what you can get!  Congrats!