LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

I had the most insane day, and never released an arrow. Passed the big 6 PT at 9:30, then heard 2 hellacious buck fights. Then the party moved up across the Rd into the thicket I'm hunting on the side of, followed by 30 minutes of crashing, grunting etc. I saw at least 5 bucks in there. Then nothing until 5:30 when I heard what I can only describe as a growl (which I heard repeatedly during the previous fights). Then 4 does came across the Rd right up to me. The 2 fawns we're playing like crazy, chasing each other all over the place. They ended up under my tree and as I could barely make out their silhouettes I heard a buck coming in, grunting the entire time, he came to 15 yds but I couldn't identify how big. He ended up chasing them into the bean field. I snuck down and got down to the Rd only to hear a buck making the same loud gargly growling noises just below the bank from me. I'm not gonna lie, I got really nervous. I envisioned being mailed by a rut crazed buck in the middle of the road. I basically jogged to my truck to avoid him. I have never in my life combined, heard the vocalizations I did today in one day. I've never heard a buck growl but can only assume it's what I heard. The best way to describe the sound was a grizzly bear huffing and grunting. Insane day. I'm still shook up over the action. I'll be back tomorrow for another dark to dark.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

That’s awesome! What an experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Well went looking around no rut sign. No ground scrapes or trees rubbed where I was hunting. Tracks everywhere. Brought my climber with me but never set up. Sat last hour and a half no sightings today. More looking tomorrow morning. There thier just a matter of finding them. Adirondack hunting don't get to sit and watch deer usually the deer I see is the one I shoot.

Made the drive to the farm for a PM sit.  Saw a rutted up spikehorn beside the road at 2:30.  Checked a few cams and it was pretty much just spikes and forks in the dark.  

The wind kept switching from SW to N.  I was glad I didn't sit one of my better spots.  Saw a doe and fawns about 300 yards across the posters.  I'm hoping it's just getting started and it gets better.  This evening was uninspiring.

Nothing meaningful to report for hunting but just want to say I had two different experiences today where a safety line protected me from serious injury. This morning I slipped off a peg climbing up and my fall protection line caught me. Then this evening my linemens belt caught me when I was setting a stand and my climbing spike came undone and gave out on me. First time I’ve ever needed a safety line and it happened twice in the same day several towns apart. Be safe guys and never go up a tree without being attached to something!

• Like 14

No gutpiles......that's it, I'm coming out there!  Will hopefully be out tomorrow after work and then Thurs-sunday.  Weather is looking great. And Thurs forecasted wind interests me. East in the morn, W in the afternoon.  Got a plan for a couple of our best stands to be in play! 

Thinking Wednesday night an edge of the property hunt and does are in play.  Then maybe an all day sit on Saturday for the xbow opener. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Tughill Tamer said:

Impromptu hunt up on the Tug. I begged my boss to get out early when I heard they were getting there first coating of snow. Good luck to everyone out.10c01a6602e8e6833242e2fced0d2aa9.jpg

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Saw this got excited and checked the forecast at my cabin. Yup 2-4 inches overnight. I'm headed up tomorrow and should be up a tree from 1till dark. All day sit planned for Thursday with Temps in the 30s all day. First week of November has been good to me in the Dacks, hoping for a little luck.

• Like 6

Well, no good news here. We searched and searched. Couldnt find blood or the arrow. Searched until dark then just started walking looking for the glow of the luminock. Nothing, he thinks it was low on the shoulder which would be heavier bone, and almost no meat. He is shooting 35lbs and 100gr slik trick 4 blade heads. For being 12 yrs old he just went through a huge roller coaster of emotions, i feel so bad for him but know he will learn from this and be better going forward. We have all been in his shoes just not at 12 lol. Thanks for the well wishes. We will get back out there and get better results.

• Like 12

9 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Well, no good news here. We searched and searched. Couldnt find blood or the arrow. Searched until dark then just started walking looking for the glow of the luminock. Nothing, he thinks it was low on the shoulder which would be heavier bone, and almost no meat. He is shooting 35lbs and 100gr slik trick 4 blade heads. For being 12 yrs old he just went through a huge roller coaster of emotions, i feel so bad for him but know he will learn from this and be better going forward. We have all been in his shoes just not at 12 lol. Thanks for the well wishes. We will get back out there and get better results.

Sadly it's a part of all hunting Zeek, archery more so than gun of course.  Your son will learn from it as well as members here.  We all need a reminder once in a while.

• Like 7

Awe man I really feel for the kid that’s a tough life lesson at 12 years old.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Tough but he will rebound and score no doubt!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Young men are resilient. They bounce back quick. The low today makes the reward so much sweeter when the success happens. In the end he becomes a better bow hunter. 

• Like 1

Had a little bit of excitement last evening. Around 6pm I am about to pack up but I see some movement maybe 40 yards away. It's getting a little too dark to see my pins but it looked too small to be a deer anyway. I get a better look and determine it's a reddish blonde colored coyote. He came in to 20 yards but never had a real clear shot so he got a pass. He gets well out of range and I put the bow back on the holder and check him out with the binos. Not a coyote, huge red fox. Would have made a great mount. Oh well, at least I had some kind of action. Job for this morning got canceled so I'm heading back down. Temperature drops in early Nov are usually a recipe for success, at least that's what I've heard. Good luck to everyone going out

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Damn man sorry. Give him an Atta Boy from me anyway cause I know he ain’t quitting!!!!

• Like 1

Set up on stand waiting for daylight. Funny how days differ with activity. Yesterday all day sit and only saw 1 doe the whole day...makes for a long day on stand. Day before that, saw 4 different small bucks and some does. Today's sit will only be until noon and then packing it in to go to a wake. Feels very deery out here. Good luck all!