LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

Perfect morning to oversleep and rush into the woods. By pure luck I made it into the stand and was settled just before sunrise. Around 8:10 I saw three tails and now I’ve had 2 doe SE of me at about 70 yards but between the cover and staring into the sun is really hard to follow them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

Compared to working all day?  It's a great day/time to be in the woods IMO.  There are worse things than spending a day in the woods without seeing a deer.

I think he was saying it’s better to move stands when wind is wrong than sit all day and not see deer because he didn’t move.   Could be wrong.   

• Like 2

The fork horn that just strolled by me appeared to have had his butt kicked recently.  I could clearly see the fork on my side but it looked like the opposite side had been broken off.   Hopefully, the bully that did the damage will show up here before noon when I got to break from lunch.

The young buck crossed the trail that I took (with evercalm treated boots) with his nose to the ground and did not slow down at all.  I did not try grunting him in for a closer look.

If I still have a buck tag after noon next Friday, that little  2 or 3 point will make my hit list.  Right now, I still need one with at least 4 points on a side or a clear 3.5 plus.

Last time I passed a scrub on opening day of crossbow, 2 seasons ago, I was rewarded with a nice 3.5 yr 8 point about 15 minutes later.   The bully is running late today.

28 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

How bad would it be to get down and go to my other stand about 1/4 mi away? Wind shifted from NE to SW. less than ideal for here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow your gut. If you are close to bedding and you have the wrong wind it is only going to be bad.

• Like 2

Shot a smaller 6 at 8am. Quartering to me at 15ish yards. Arrow is covered in dark blood. Very little blood trail. Kicked him out of his bed after 60yards. Blood coming out both sides by the looks of his bed. He didn't spook to bad. No smell of guts. Thinking liver shoot. Backing out til this afternoon 

• Like 15

I hate crossbow "season"...i feel like i post this every year. My son and i got in our stands by 645. Beautiful morning until our "great" cross bow hunting neighbor comes waliking in at 735, pretty sure he stepped on every branch on his way in. He gets to a area maybe 100 yards from us on the property line. Walks around there for a bit breaking every branch. Sits down for maybe 35-40mins, then proceeds to walk about a 40 yard area into thick brush thats not his land...at this point i txt him to let him know we are about 100 yards from him and good luck. Im hoping he will kinda get it and just sit still. Nope more walking around for 5 more mins, pops out of the brush and sits on the property line again. He texts me goodluck, and lets me know nothing seems to be moving this a.m....finally 15 mins later he is up and atleast walking away from us but still stepping on every branch. He only crossgun and gun hunts...

We have seen 1 small doe fawn so far. Good luck all.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

#Blindlife....@moog style!

Beauty of a morning to be out. Had a tall racked buck sneak in behind us grunting 10 minutes after we used doe bleat can and lite raddle on the bag. He ended giving a 24 yard broadside shot but I had to shoot Tru a mesh window. I took the shot but I think the arrow tanked under him. No blood and he at first walked off slowly then after a few minutes bounded down a utility trail. We will look down that utility road when we leave.

Had another buck close to 100 yards a little but ago before turning around...he was outside his ears.....and just now a pack of doe just walked thru with little ones. There were 6 total...and all together.

59efa9946ad24663a59e3396aee8a01a.jpg5707ec59a08131025f0bd283b1516838.jpg

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, WNYTRPR said:

Send it .somebody needs to draw blood 

Believe me been watching him thru the crossbow scope and he is 142 yds. I don’t have anything past 50 but sit here and look and wonder about shot elevation and he’s laying down no wind.  It’s definitely crossbowed my mind but nah. After watching 6 i will hope he follows suit.  Honestly it’s a beautiful morning and feel lucky to have the encounter.  But as Bob Barker said….Cmon down 

• Like 3