LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

Totally understand deer drives during gun. No issues there. Hunters generally don’t push during archery as you’re hunting food and breeding. To know crossbow has opened up this practice during the rut is bothersome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Westchester (3S) is bow only 10/1 - 12/31. After thanksgiving lots of deer drives on stateland. I’ve never been a part of one but they happen often

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, Cabin Fever said:

You and me both brother! Sounds like we're in the same boat. This afternoon will be hunt #24 and I've seen 4 deer. I've seen a few others in a neighbors field at long range, but no hunting there, so it does me no good other than seeing there's deer moving somewhere anyways. Getting more and more discouraged with each passing day. One week deep into November now and not seeing squat for rutting activity yet. Trying to be optimistic that things will change any day, but..................

Good luck!!

I keep telling myself, lots of season left, but man when you are putting in all day sits to see one deer. It gets to be a mind game. Last 2 years the movement through the property has slowed way down. 

28 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

I bought it used off here , but it works great until now of course !  He got a little whiplash on the side of his head but nothing more ( thank god) . I think the Crossbow is 3 years old ! And Crossbow Season is over in just under 2 weeks , until after Gun opens and closes !

You’d be better off buying a new xbow right now and selling it after season. All bow shops are 2-3 weeks usually none stock xbow strings here.

35 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

Well my son had a nice 4 pointer lined up with his Crossbow and SNAP !  His string snaps ! I called Field and Stream ( Latham Farms ) to get it Re Strung and they said " No Problem , anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2 weeks "  Flying Arrow in East Greenbush does not have their Voicemail setup , nice Business ! Anyone know of a place to get a Crossbow re-strung in 2-3 days max ? Albany area or close by ?

Jim despart is a good friend of mine flying arrow isnt the name of the store no more it is now called bullseye Jim's archery shop. If your bring your bow there Monday or tuesday eathier him or gary his brother get can you fixed up

• Like 1

Well my son had a nice 4 pointer lined up with his Crossbow and SNAP !  His string snaps ! I called Field and Stream ( Latham Farms ) to get it Re Strung and they said " No Problem , anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2 weeks "  Flying Arrow in East Greenbush does not have their Voicemail setup , nice Business ! Anyone know of a place to get a Crossbow re-strung in 2-3 days max ? Albany area or close by ?
Back when I loved out that way I went to Brown's in Schenectady. I don't know if he is still there. He was pretty old back then and it was 10 years ago. If he is, I would highly recommend him.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Not sure how much hunting I can do in the next week unfortunately,my moms been battling cancer and babysitting the kids so I can get out when need be  (she insisted ).I know she’s warn out ,So tonight ,anything bigger than a spike is going down .

Edited by WNYTRPR
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, WNYTRPR said:

Not sure how much hunting I can do in the next week unfortunately,my moms been battling cancer and babysitting the kids so I can get out when need be  (she insisted ).I know she’s warn out ,So tonight ,anything bigger than a spike is going down .

Sorry to hear and best of luck to your Mom

• Thanks 1

What a fiasco for this evening hunt. Daughter and I so we need a double finally decide what stand to sit in and off we go around 1:45. Get to the stand get safety strapped in get the bow up and hung ready to rock and roll when we notice a tree 15 yards away is snapped 1/3 of the way through and is rocking back and forth.

Oh heck no! Pack everything up and get out of dodge for plan B. Now we are in a box overlooking some food plots because it was a short walk from where we where.

We both have way to many clothes on we had to shed a few layers to cool down.
213b9f108021d8299c346ca9d3a39bd5.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Crazy minute for me walking back in. Im 200 yards from my back patio, neighbors are mowing, when i think i hear a grunt. Naw...then another...am i crazy? Then some crashing, nope not crazy. I knock an arrow and take a couple steps into a path that leads to the front of my woods. More crashing and out jumps a beautiful buck, stops dead center in the path facing directly at me at 30 yards...i draw but talk myself out of a frontal shot, he spins around and continues chasing a doe followed by a 4pt too. They ripped through my neighbors field, through a part of my woods and then they ate gone...the little 4pt shows back up but no one else. So now i sit here contemplating what to do. I get that doe and buck could be in orleans county by now but do ya think she may come back...stay on the ground, go to a tree...soooo many choices.

actually just moved this here, posted in the live from the water first...in a stand 150yards from where they were chasing.

Edited by Gencountyzeek
  • Like 6

Crazy minute for me walking back in. Im 200 yards from my back patio, neighbors are mowing, when i think i hear a grunt. Naw...then another...am i crazy? Then some crashing, nope not crazy. I knock an arrow and take a couple steps into a path that leads to the front of my woods. More crashing and out jumps a beautiful buck, stops dead center in the path facing directly at me at 30 yards...i draw but talk myself out of a frontal shot, he spins around and continues chasing a doe followed by a 4pt too. They ripped through my neighbors field, through a part of my woods and then they ate gone...the little 4pt shows back up but no one else. So now i sit here contemplating what to do. I get that doe and buck could be in orleans county by now but do ya think she may come back...stay on the ground, go to a tree...soooo many choices.
actually just moved this here, posted in the live from the water first...in a stand 150yards from where they were chasing.

I’d be sticking around hoping they come back but I also don’t make the greatest decisions either.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Caveman said:

Back when I loved out that way I went to Brown's in Schenectady. I don't know if he is still there. He was pretty old back then and it was 10 years ago. If he is, I would highly recommend him.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Browns retired and someone bought still a good shop but he doesn't do enough advertising. Hopefully he gets enough business to stay afloat

I bought it used off here , but it works great until now of course !  He got a little whiplash on the side of his head but nothing more ( thank god) . I think the Crossbow is 3 years old ! And Crossbow Season is over in just under 2 weeks , until after Gun opens and closes !

I just ordered a new one, it arrives Tuesday. I will sell you my Barnet recruit for $100 if you want it…. Can meet off of 87 some where.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GreeneHunter said:

The problem is getting your hands on the proper string and cables.  Once you have a crossbow you are happy with it's a good idea to have a spare set (or two) in reserve.

• Like 2