LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

Sao after last night having several different bucks grunting and seeing the big half racked should've been 8 I decided to pull an all day sit. Had a doe and fawn come through right after first light and that was all of my action for the rest of the day and a long day at that.

So after the one doe blew out from behind us I saw movement in the same direction 20 minutes later.....they made their way back and we were ready. Xbow was up and when the lead presented a slight quartering away shot at 40 yards I let one fly. She took off like a bat outta hell. So we jumped outta the blind to look for blood. Well.....no blood and no bolt. We advanced the search a little over 50 yards and backed out with no sign. Headed back after the boys go to bed. Frustrated the last two days is an understatement. The three of us had a chat on the way home and each has learned something from this weekend myself included. I need to let the moment happen and no force it since the boys are with me. This one didn't feel forced but the wind was definitely let out of my sails with no blood at perceived POI.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well I was up in my climber seen 3 doe , they came within 50 yards. Wife  had a hen Turkey run under her stand and seen 2 doe in neighbors field . We’ve seen deer every sit on new lease just nothing in bow range . 

Nice afternoon sit in too warm weather. Had a very small young doe come out and entertain me for half an hour.

34ea8f8b3f23312c6a0bcc45cde6e778.jpg

Then her not much older brother came out. 6 pointer hung around for the last half hour. Was hoping they would attract either a larger doe or buck. Didn't happen.
ce42f1f392e0f321f667871aea41b1eb.jpg

While I was hunting, the Dept of Health called my wife. Our grandson (17 mos) tested positive for Covid a few days ago and the were contact tracing. Little guy is doing ok, mostly a runny nose. I was sort of hoping they would require me to quarantine for 10-14 days. No such luck as I am showing no symptoms. I will get a test in the next couple of days to be sure I am not positive and asymptomatic.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

I got a bit of good news from my mishap the other day a little while ago. I texted my buddy who has property that butts up to our lease and asked him to let me know if anyone finds a dead buck in the coming weeks. Well, tonight my buddy hunted and had that buck at 10 yds before he got busted trying to draw on him. I never told him where I thought I hit the deer beforehand and he described the rack and exactly where I thought the wound should've been. The buck was dogging a doe. Makes me feel a little better knowing he's not laying somewhere dead.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 16

I’m so it’s time for me to put today’s hunt on paper..

Got in at noon. Did a buck bomb when I got to my stand. At just before 2 I start getting hits on my cell cam which is about 180 yards or so down wind from where I am at. I then look and see this pic. Not so interested in the buck in the foreground but the guy in the background is a bruiser.99d814760c9188533866121f2a58ef76.jpg

About 15 min go by and I notice some movement in the brush about 100 yards out moving parallel to me. I then see a giant rack and see he isn’t coming my way. I hit the grunt tube and he trots in my direction but stops at about 50 when he notices the other buck my target buck. They kind of stare at eachother and scrape the ground. My target buck moves so he is broadside at about 35 but his vitals are covered by a tree. I grunt again to try and get him to move but instead this much bigger buck that I have never see before kind of pushes him out and takes his place in that exact spot. He seems to be stating to come out from behind the tree. I raise the x bow and he stops. Still covered. I hear crunching coming from my other side and notice that he does too. He is staring where the noise is coming from not moving At all. I slowly turn my head fully expecting to see a 3rd buck… but I don’t I see another hunter with his climber on his back headed right at us. I hit the grunt tube louder trying to get his attention. It doesn’t work but the deer is still locked on him… I’m now waving my off side arm trying shoe him away but he’s not seeing it.. I grunt again louder and it works it gets the hunters attention. He turns to leave and as he does the buck takes off the other way not giving me a shot

What a cool awesome and sad day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Chef said:

Got in at noon. Did a buck bomb when I got to my stand. At just before 2 I start getting hits on my cell cam which is about 180 yards or so down wind from where I am at. I then look and see this pic. Not so interested in the buck in the foreground but the guy in the background is a bruiser.99d814760c9188533866121f2a58ef76.jpg

About 15 min go by and I notice some movement in the brush about 100 yards out moving parallel to me. I then see a giant rack and see he isn’t coming my way. I hit the grunt tube and he trots in my direction but stops at about 50 when he notices the other buck my target buck. They kind of stare at eachother and scrape the ground. My target buck moves so he is broadside at about 35 but his vitals are covered by a tree. I grunt again to try and get him to move but instead this much bigger buck that I have never see before kind of pushes him out and takes his place in that exact spot. He seems to be stating to come out from behind the tree. I raise the x bow and he stops. Still covered. I hear crunching coming from my other side and notice that he does too. He is staring where the noise is coming from not moving At all. I slowly turn my head fully expecting to see a 3rd buck… but I don’t I see another hunter with his climber on his back headed right at us. I hit the grunt tube louder trying to get his attention. It doesn’t work but the deer is still locked on him… I’m now waving my off side arm trying shoe him away but he’s not seeing it.. I grunt again louder and it works it gets the hunters attention. He turns to leave and as he does the buck takes off the other way not giving me a shot

Great story. That's messed up I had to zoom in that's a dandy buck. What a great experience beside the other hunter with the climber messing it up. 2 beautiful bucks.

• Like 1

Alright ,great hunt .Shot shortly after I got into my spot ,he was grunting and looking for doe .Let it rip and he ran 40 yards .I’ll display this guy as proud as the ones hanging on the wall .Unfortunately,I pull in to the drive way and have easily a 150” deer in the yard .Stood there like a statue .any way ,here’s the 6 point .Thought he was an 8 as I seen one side had 4 points .Things happened quick .I did stay for a double (doe)460F785B-09DF-4BBF-AB89-9049FDC907D7.thumb.png.bd5849a69f6268fc7af722ab1ecd7a98.png852D0A1D-CCFB-4BEF-BCD5-F2708579FF5F.thumb.jpeg.467dfbfc7c243aabc93fadda3b794809.jpegF380B21A-2DF1-4FEB-9CC9-9B03B60CB031.thumb.jpeg.ac822c41e72a33b39b31d4be2ea3570d.jpegbut just had a 4 point come in .

• Like 25

Public land? Or is this the piece behind your brother in laws?

Called in a big 6pt which is my self imposed restriction. He was 200 yrds out and quartering away so I grabbed the grunt tube and gave him a loud grunt to get his attention. Stopped him in his tracks. One more softer grunt, and he was on a string. When he was 45 yrds out, a spike pushed a doe into the field, and he switched directions to run him off, and chase the doe out of the field.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chef said:

That hurts bad .

• Like 1

Public land? Or is this the piece behind your brother in laws?

It’s the piece behind my brother in laws. It’s a weird piece of town owned property. You can’t access unless you live there. I have spoken to local PD and it’s fine to hunt there.. in fact my hunting partner there is local PD and so is the hunter I bumped into today

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Is @grampy dragging (me to the winner circle)?

No dragging. Because I was in the woods dark to dark, and did not see a deer.

Frustration is setting in. But I'll keep grinding it out. I'm off till Friday. 

• Like 1

Deer drives are alot of fun if you have the people and get the deer moving. Very common up here in the Adirondacks for camp and clubs. I used to hunt Massachusetts with my wife's family during there shotgun season first Monday after Thanksgiving. The year I went we killed 13 deer. Eight come out of one drive.

With the bow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No dragging. Because I was in the woods dark to dark, and did not see a deer.
Frustration is setting in. But I'll keep grinding it out. I'm off till Friday. 

He’s coming!!! We all know he’s coming!!! But the only one that matters is you!!!

• Thanks 1

Just now, Biz-R-OWorld said:

With the bow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

With rifle in the Adirondacks and where my wife's family hunts in Massachusetts it's shotgun. Never heard of drives with the bow. Seeing the deer on the drive the does stick together that buck is always trying to sneak out. That's just my experience with them.

What an encounter Chef. Wish it ended with hero pics. That sucks!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1