LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

Not sure how much hunting I can do in the next week unfortunately,my moms been battling cancer and babysitting the kids so I can get out when need be  (she insisted ).I know she’s warn out ,So tonight ,anything bigger than a spike is going down .

Sorry to hear. Sounds like an awesome woman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m so it’s time for me to put today’s hunt on paper..

Got in at noon. Did a buck bomb when I got to my stand. At just before 2 I start getting hits on my cell cam which is about 180 yards or so down wind from where I am at. I then look and see this pic. Not so interested in the buck in the foreground but the guy in the background is a bruiser.99d814760c9188533866121f2a58ef76.jpg

About 15 min go by and I notice some movement in the brush about 100 yards out moving parallel to me. I then see a giant rack and see he isn’t coming my way. I hit the grunt tube and he trots in my direction but stops at about 50 when he notices the other buck my target buck. They kind of stare at eachother and scrape the ground. My target buck moves so he is broadside at about 35 but his vitals are covered by a tree. I grunt again to try and get him to move but instead this much bigger buck that I have never see before kind of pushes him out and takes his place in that exact spot. He seems to be stating to come out from behind the tree. I raise the x bow and he stops. Still covered. I hear crunching coming from my other side and notice that he does too. He is staring where the noise is coming from not moving At all. I slowly turn my head fully expecting to see a 3rd buck… but I don’t I see another hunter with his climber on his back headed right at us. I hit the grunt tube louder trying to get his attention. It doesn’t work but the deer is still locked on him… I’m now waving my off side arm trying shoe him away but he’s not seeing it.. I grunt again louder and it works it gets the hunters attention. He turns to leave and as he does the buck takes off the other way not giving me a shot

What a cool awesome and sad day

Public land?

6 hours ago, biggamefish said:

I keep telling myself, lots of season left, but man when you are putting in all day sits to see one deer. It gets to be a mind game. Last 2 years the movement through the property has slowed way down. 

We are hunting only a short distance away. And same thing! All day sits with no deer seen! It does get frustrating! But no choice but to keep on grinding it out. To think last year I passed up so many deer, looking to shoot 1 of 2 bucks specifically. Right now I'd shoot just about anything! But gotta see em first! They're there! Just not moving at all!

5 minutes ago, suburbanfarmer said:

The coming week is really nice and warm and deer movement died today.

There is new  buck with injury causing it to be still in velvet, maybe it crosses path with me by the time i can use the cranked crossbow.

Id mount that deer in velvet if possible. I've never mounted a big one shot a big nine on a grape vineyard during muzzleloader a few years back. The landowner wanted the head I just wanted the meat. Biggest buck a 6 point 22 inch inside spread would have been a 9 but 3 broke tines. He's in the antler tote.

• Like 1

Just now, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Id mount that deer in velvet if possible. I've never mounted a big one shot a big nine on a grape vineyard during muzzleloader a few years back. The landowner wanted the head I just wanted the meat. Biggest buck a 6 point 22 inch inside spread would have been a 9 but 3 broke tines. He's in the antler tote.

Agreed, but its a possibility that it was just passing thru to be never seen again. 

• Like 1

Went back with a buddy to confirm my earlier suspicion of no hit. We tracked over 500 yards from where the deer was standing when I shot. No lighted knock on the bolt so we couldn't find that....but we found the trail she torn down like a bat outta hell, then down into a small revine with a creek and back up the other side with not a drop of blood anywhere. Not happy with the miss, but happy I confirm it was a clean one.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Looks like I will have company the last 2 days of bow and opening weekend of gun.  @REDNECK4LIFE32 is coming down to hang out, hunt and partake in my yearly chilli dinner the night before opener.  Can't wait up to 5 or 6 guys in our group already for the opener.  Regardless of any deer taken it should be fun.

It's gonna be a good time thanks for the invite and hospitality. Excited if we get a deer we get a deer. Will be glad enjoying the woods with good people.

Walked a few bedding areas in PA yesterday. Very very little sign. Few. Small rubs, few fresh tracks and thats after 4 hrs of walking. Probably  go to other side of management area this week and check out some of my spots but it looks pretty bleak this yr. No acorn's  no deer in the big wood plots. All off on the private parcel's with fields it looks like. Have to wait for the orange hoard in a few weeks to kick them out. On the bright side been killing the fish tho on a local rez. 10 eyes and 6 fatty smallmouth today. Heading back out tomorrow  with a buddy to get some crappie and more walleye. 

• Like 1

Gotta make a decision this morning.  Been milling it all night. Found a half dozen scrapes yesterday evening within 50 yards of each other. Then neighbor messaged me about a buck chasing a doe on the back of her horse pasture that buts up to my land.

Which spot? Based on wind I would be located on wrong side of pasture.  Gonna sit on the scrapes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Who's up next to knock one down?  I'll be back out Tuesday and Wednesday looking for a doe.

I would be happy to oblige...got close yesterday,a doe came running in and stopped at 30 behind some brush. Smallish buck was chasing her but didn't take the same path or he would have gotten an arrow. The joy and pain of hunting thick stuff.

• Like 3