LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

Heading out for a quick hunt before work in 3S. We got 32° with a 6:39am sunrise, so 609am legal shooting and minimal N wind. Yesterday was nearly 70 degrees and tonight/tomorrow is rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

I’m up as well for a morning hunt . But I gotta say this sucks , when I get up all I think about is coming home and taking a nap . Guys talk about how you have to grind it out … no thanks a grind is no fun and to be avoided . Im definitely toward the end of hunting this much anymore . 

• Like 3

Planned to hunt for the first time in a week, but I woke up to a terribly sore back.  Went outside to check the wind and spooked a bunch of deer in the backyard.

I’ve seen two giant bucks midday in the last two days, I hate to miss a day in the woods.  Ibuprofen, give me wings.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Tending grunts, almost like clicking sound goes on forever ;) or until they part ways.

Yup tending ... had it happen 20 years ago watched an 8 pt breed a doe in a thicket . He mounted her multiple  times over what I guessed  to be half an hour  grunting and ticking the whole time . Had 2 smaller bucks in that time  come grunting through  circled but kept distance. 

• Like 1

Holy crap! I’m almost to my stand and I hear one running off. No wait he’s coming at me! The deer stops on the other side of a beech tree. 4 or 5 yards away, I can hear it breathing. Then it ran rift past me within feet. I was two steps away from my stand so I waited a minute and climbed up. Haven’t heard anything since. Wow! That woke me up!

• Like 11

Not sure if it’s the one that almost railroaded me, but once it got light enough I grunted a few times and he appeared about 55 yds away. Grunted again and he came right in. 18 yd shot and he ran maybe 20. Getting ready to climb down. Pics soon!

• Like 14

34 out and up
Had one walk by me in the dark. My brother is in my far stand past the Hole. I heard his crossbow go off and saw a deer run. He toasted the big boy I posted in my journal yesterday! I’ll get a pic when we get down and go get him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

C'mon buck deers! 

IMG_20211111_064333962.jpg

Good luck this week Rob!  Congrats to Paul and Fletch's brother.  Some bucks hitting the ground!!!

I will head over to the farm this afternoon for my last crossbow hunt before VT rifle season starts.  Put up a few posted signs, check cameras, move a stand etc.  Lookin' like a "killer" day.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bigpaul said:

Not sure if it’s the one that almost railroaded me, but once it got light enough I grunted a few times and he appeared about 55 yds away. Grunted again and he came right in. 18 yd shot and he ran maybe 20. Getting ready to climb down. Pics soon!

DIDN'T GO 20!!!

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

That is crazy. all there is to it...

8 hours ago, TheHornHunter said:

My only guess would be tending a doe but I’ve never seen one grunt anywhere close to that long. Maybe rut fried his brain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Tending grunts, almost like clicking sound goes on forever ;) or until they part ways.

1 hour ago, Nytracker said:

Yup tending ... had it happen 20 years ago watched an 8 pt breed a doe in a thicket . He mounted her multiple  times over what I guessed  to be half an hour  grunting and ticking the whole time . Had 2 smaller bucks in that time  come grunting through  circled but kept distance. 

I tend to agree with you guys saying tending grunts. I have heard tending grunts in the past. Almost sounds like a rhythmic 'tic-toc' over and over. But this one was more of a 'bahh' of varying durations. Never heard anything like that before! But tending a doe is the only thing that makes sense.

So cool to go out and see, or hear something new from deer, after about 50 years hunting them!

Thanks for you're comments guy's. 

• Like 4

Congrats @bigpaul

Up in 8j this morning with my kid, haven't seen squat.  Kind of amazed actually as we regularly see a lot doe here and we just haven't even seen them this year.

I am also always blown away with how many of the stories here involve folks grunting them in.  I have no idea what I am doing wrong but it never works for me.  I never even see one after letting a blows go.

20211111_072812.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1