LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

Finally had some action and I blew it. The neighbors field on the other side of this creek is really tall brown brush that's pretty hard to see deer in. Well I saw a white tail just flickering in the middle of the field so I'm trying to see what it is in the binos(definitely a deer but never found out if it was a buck or doe) all of a sudden I look to my left and a decent 8 is 20 yards away coming at me. Must have caught me reaching for the crossbow and bolted. One little flickering tail just saved that bucks life... for now!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Bad pic but yes looks like gut.11-12" penetration and slighty elevated prob 7ft up
Agree....be patient.....you ziped it open. Just going to be a little longer on the recover than you would like.
Ps....tracking in the wet rain/slush crap stinks

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Hardly any blood/wet leaves making it a nightmare.found with 60-70 yards into track.doesnt look good,backed out.will wait a couple more hrs.got that sick feeling in my stomache already
20211113_092012.thumb.jpg.0b51547f8a4481b922b3a37804902f98.jpg
I'd wait more than a couple of hours. You won't have a good trail to follow anyways now. It'll probably die in it's first bed but if you bump it, with rain especially, you will make it 10x harder. I'd wait a minimum of 6-8 hours. You killed it for sure, finding it will be dependent on your next steps.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, doebuck1234 said:

Bad pic but yes looks like gut.11-12" penetration and slighty elevated prob 7ft up

Was it quartered away at all?  Would think if all gut usually they pass thru.  Broke off and gut did it possible hit out side shoulder?  

Good luck. Hope you find it easily.  

9 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Was it quartered away at all?  Would think if all gut usually they pass thru.  Broke off and gut did it possible hit out side shoulder?  

Good luck. Hope you find it easily.  

Not that i recall but it could of been slightly.everything happened quick(15 secs)from time i spotted deer to shot.That was my thought exactly when i noticed it didnt pass thru.i heard the hit too so assuming it hit bone

• Like 1

Back home, after rain started around 11. Saw a 2 year old 8pt on opposite side of the brush below me, head into the bedding area,around 9:30. He wasn't in there long until he pushed out three doe's. They ran out where he came in. He followed shortly after, slightly higher. All headed back in the original direction the buck came from. I tried grunting to him, and also the bleat can. To no avail. He never even looked my way. Back out again tomorrow!

Well that’s it for my NY bow season. Was planning on sitting this morning but combination of rain and a hangover kept me out of the woods. First season in awhile I haven’t killed a bow buck but on the bright side I’m off to Kansas this afternoon to try and punch one down there. Hopefully will catch up with one of my NY bucks when I get back. Good luck to everyone the next week! it’s one of my favorite times and usually when I see the biggest bucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck in Kansas, and you can still bow hunt NY during gun season anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Confidence Guys and Gals! We've all had slow days, slow weeks and slow seasons. We all know how fast it can change. Hunt every minute that you can and think positive. We will all miss this in a month. Stay focused and good luck!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, doebuck1234 said:

Hardly any blood/wet leaves making it a nightmare.found with 60-70 yards into track.doesnt look good,backed out.will wait a couple more hrs.got that sick feeling in my stomache already

20211113_092012.jpg

Give it a minimum of 6 to 8 hours before you start on the blood trail. Should find it in its first bed. Within 150 yards. Good luck.

• Like 1